IPF 3.4 Final Now on This Forum?

Fast Lane!

You're fairly new. IPS generally maintains a short period of exclusivity for using their own software releases on their site before openly releasing them to clients for downloading. Expect it to be released within a week or two.

Not that new. Been a paying customer since 2006 and used the free version before that (version 1.x) since 2002/2003. :)

Given all the open issues I see people posting on here I am wondering if I should wait on the .x release within 10 days of this launch.

Generally a good idea yes, as long as not everyone is that smart :tongue:

We usually doesn't consider IPB-versions to be stable enough until the second minor patch.

We usually doesn't consider IPB-versions to be stable enough until the second minor patch.

Sounds about right. I am coming from 3.1.4 (big move and while EOL thankfully Invision has been patching for security) so hopefully I can at least now begin the process of working on the 3.4.x skins on my test board. They should only have very minor changes between 3.4.0 and 3.4.1/2 releases.

Keep in mind that even with all the testing and QA we do, we can only test on so many different environments. Once it is into the "wild" on different setups with different servers/configurations/etc.... things change from our testing environments and beta testing environments by thousands of sites. If everyone waited to upgrade until the .1 we'd not gather the crowdsourced information we usually do. Mind you, we do post betas for exactly this reason. Test them out! The more testers the merrier! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't expect it to be available until the start of next week at the earliest. No way they would release it at the end of the week and then have people filing support tickets over the weekend with upgrade issues.

I'll be hanging off upgrading until I see how it goes on other people's sites. They can be the crash test dummy :smile:

3DKiwi

Keep in mind that even with all the testing and QA we do, we can only test on so many different environments. Once it is into the "wild" on different setups with different servers/configurations/etc.... things change from our testing environments and beta testing environments by thousands of sites. If everyone waited to upgrade until the .1 we'd not gather the crowdsourced information we usually do. Mind you, we do post betas for exactly this reason. Test them out! The more testers the merrier! :thumbsup:

I fully understand that. I simply haven't been able to devote time to doing test upgrades to IPB 3.4 yet. There's also the situations where we hold off on doing upgrades due to changes we and our members do not agree on and hope will be resolved on minor point upgrades. But are then sooner or later "forced" to upgrade because of other issues that cause problems.

Archived