Quoting in IPB 3.4, not satisifed

TSP

Yes, it's harsh. On my board are very often discussions about politics and there is quoting VERY often used. So it's almost impossible quote whole posts, every member quotes only part of message or split whole quote to smaller parts.

I was kidding with the wording used, as it could be taken as though the PEOPLE break, not the quotes.
Just trying to lighten the mood some. :smile:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello guys. There's something wrong with the double enter functionally. It won't split the quote for me most of the time (Chrome 23).

To split the comment, I have to:

1. Press enter
  2. Press up arrow to come back to the previous line
  3. Press enter again

Then it works, mostly. Sometimes it won't even create a new line when I press enter though.

The double-enter thing works very inconsistently for me, too. (I'm using Firefox but I suspect there are inconsistencies across all browsers.) A couple of my forum's members asked me today about quote-splitting, and I found it hard to come up with a simple "rule" or "instruction" to tell them how to split quotes.

I can't just tell them to press enter twice wherever they want the split, because if for example you're trying to split a paragraph (e.g. there's a big slab of text but you want to split halfway through), pressing enter twice doesn't appear to do anything: you have to press enter, then move your mouse back to the end of the sentence immediately before the split and press double enter again. It also doesn't work if you put your cursor at the start of a paragraph and press double enter: it seems to be that you have to put your mouse at the end of a paragraph.

In the end I had to tell them to switch to BBCode view and split quotes that way. Requiring everyone to switch modes for a reliable method of quote splitting just isn't good enough when it's such an important part of everyday use. Can't you just create a consistent keyboard shortcut (e.g. Ctrl-Enter splits a quote if you're inside quote tags) and/or a "split quote" button?

My members are not happy with the new editor. This was the initial complaint..

Has anyone gotten their head around how to quote only a part of someone else's post? I can quote their entire post, but when I delete the parts I don't want I lose the indentated 'quote section' and it appears as regular text. Also, quoting multiple posts..... thud.gif...... my reply appears as part of the original quoted text. Very vexing! Can anyone help? ohmy.png
The best solution we can give them is to use the 'switch' and change to BB Code. However, forums need to be as user friendly as possible, and this certainly isn't.
Also, I've told them that Invision are bound to change it if people are unhappy, but it sounds like I might be wrong there. :(

I can look at finding a way to add in the meta data. It's always a challenge with a real time editor because if I add a DIV with this information, there's nothing stopping you from tabbing to it and removing it. Or breaking it, etc.

Well...

byVvu8h.png

It comes straight from the testing forum: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/377972--/#entry2368179

This is bad. Have you considered blockquote and cite elements to differentiate quotes from the rest of the post?

• 1 month later...

Guys was the quote box fixed in 3.4.3? I just updated and the issue with trying to delete text from the first line of a quote still causes the whole quote box to disappear.

Make sure you clear your browser's cache and do a hard refresh.

Don't know if I'm on topic or not as I haven't read all the posts but quoting in 3.4 has been HORRIBLE for us. It seems to be ugly and then gets screwed up REALLY easily. I've had to redo my posts here a couple times with quotes in them because once you accidentally get a quote to include something on accident like the normal text part of your post then suddenly it's almost impossible to get out. It's like the quote does something paranormal to the wysiwyg and everything becomes a jumbled up mess. I've never had this much trouble before and I'm a big annoying quoter in the forum life...LOL.

Kinda feels like something simple and they are trying to make it too complex maybe? Not sure... maybe it's just me but I don't like it at all. Not trying to insult as I may love it if it gets the bugs worked out but right now it haunts my dreams at night ;)

Don't know if I'm on topic or not as I haven't read all the posts but quoting in 3.4 has been HORRIBLE for us. It seems to be ugly and then gets screwed up REALLY easily. I've had to redo my posts here a couple times with quotes in them because once you accidentally get a quote to include something on accident like the normal text part of your post then suddenly it's almost impossible to get out. It's like the quote does something paranormal to the wysiwyg and everything becomes a jumbled up mess. I've never had this much trouble before and I'm a big annoying quoter in the forum life...LOL.

Kinda feels like something simple and they are trying to make it too complex maybe? Not sure... maybe it's just me but I don't like it at all. Not trying to insult as I may love it if it gets the bugs worked out but right now it haunts my dreams at night ;)

Guys was the quote box fixed in 3.4.3? I just updated and the issue with trying to delete text from the first line of a quote still causes the whole quote box to disappear.

We just upgraded our company forums to 3.4.4, which includes many editor and bbcode bug fixes. Please try clearing your browser cache and testing in our Test Posting forum. If you find any remaining bugs, be sure to post bug reports.

Archived