File name: Similar Topics
Submitter: Marcher Technologies
Submitted: 11/15/2012
Category: User and Social Engagement
Demo : http://www.marchertech.com/board/topic/339-classified-a-test/
Discussion URL :
Supported Versions: 6
Support Info : Support Topic

This Hook Adds a display of similar Topics in one of three positions while viewing a topic, under the first post of every page, in a depreciating js-powered flyout, or under the topic, with user-customization options.
The flyout shows on the bottom right of the page when the end of the first post of the page has been reached or after, and hidden when the end of the first post of the page is below the viewport.
As a result of an implementation detail, this modification also adds relevancy sort support for the forums application search.
Features Include:
• Sphinx Support.
• User Preferences, including minimization, number of topics, forums to display similar topics in, and position.
• Configure the default position and number of topics to show for members, and the same for guests and crawlers separately.
• Configure what groups may not view/use similar topics.
• Configure what groups may not customize the position, number, and forums displayed in of similar topics and thus are forced to use default.
• Configure what forums may not display similar topics by default.
• Configure "Stop Phrases" words, characters, and phrases to be stripped from the topic title used for searching for similar topics.
• Configure the minimum length of a word in the topic title to be included in the search for similar topics.
• Option to Override the main search setting to force searching for similar topics into SQL mode.
• Option to show similar topics collapsed by default for users not having the cookie set.

View File

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will assume you speak of 'sticking' the under first post option to the top of the screen when rolled past(correct me if wrong)?

This would severely and forcibly limit the number of topics one could display for fear of making the entire window covered by it and thus the page unusable....

I suppose it could roll up to a menu... I am simply rather loath to introduce something no skin could possibly account for when this plays so nicely with third-party skins at the moment.

I will assume you speak of 'sticking' the under first post option to the top of the screen when rolled past(correct me if wrong)?

Yes that is exacly what I was talking about. Sorry for my poor English

Please see example here

http://fleek.org/plagin-flying-popup-on-jquery/

Just scrol the page to the bottom

I know it requires CSS changes as default ipbstylescss will cause conflict with other board skins and

I did that on my site with IP.Content as test but don't have enogh time and knowelege to finish what I want )

ok ready to spent 30$ :)

Small bug: after update from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 and from 1.0.1 to 1.0.2 I had to re-translate the string text: Similar Topics, Below Topic etc.

I never changed the language string keys.

You should not be customizing the stock language packs I add to, you should be customizing your language's variant or a copy of english.

mt_topic_similar

In a search from manage languages should list the custom strings I am using.

Yes that is exacly what I was talking about. Sorry for my poor English

Please see example here
http://fleek.org/plagin-flying-popup-on-jquery/
Just scrol the page to the bottom

I know it requires CSS changes as default ipbstylescss will cause conflict with other board skins and

I did that on my site with IP.Content as test but don't have enogh time and knowelege to finish what I want )

ok ready to spent 30$ :smile:

Cackles maniacally.
A floating box you say? IPB has those :tongue:
http://www.marchertech.com/board/topic/313-a-picture-to-illustrate/
I will up the price tag in a week's time to 10$, for now ;)

You are right. I raported IPS.

Don't use 1.0.3 as an example, I had to add an option to the settings, this does not go well with an upgraded hook needless to say.

You will need to uninstall, and re-install the hook to be able to select the flyout option as a default from the settings.

Naturally doing this will wipe the language strings very existence.

Sorry. :sad:

Wow, I knew you can do it^ but such a propt work was surprising :smile: Thank you

How does it work ? It not appearing in all topics i guess Russian encodding problem ?

Also, Is this ips similar topic hook ? Not sure where it came from while ago. How I can get rid of it once your hook will work ?

post-186732-0-45576000-1353319756_thumb.

Wow, I knew you can do it^ but such a propt work was surprising :smile: Thank you

How does it work ? It not appearing in all topics i guess Russian encodding problem ?

Also, Is this ips similar topic hook ? Not sure where it came from while ago. How I can get rid of it once your hook will work ?

attachicon.gif?????? ?????? 2012-11-19 ? 14.08.49.png

i highly doubt an encoding issue, while it is possible, you would have already noticed it using your own forum search.

It will not display on *all* topics, it will not appear if the result set comes up empty.

Search ACP live search for 'also tagged'.

Trying to pinpoint the exact issue... Ian is stating only members with below topic are having the issue, is this the same for you? again, I simply must note it will *not* appear if no similar topics can be located.

Having issue reproducing what Ian describes myself locally, going to look at what it is doing on his site directly.

I know it is strange.

If I go to say http://www.nonleague.co.uk/topic/173910-tonights-results/#entry1861933 as a guest then I can see the similar topics below the topic - if I go to the exact same topic as either a member or as admin, I see nothing.

I would add that for both myself and the admin, no configuration of settings have been made at a user level.

if I set the smilar topics to show for members below the first post or as a pop-up then they show up just fine with a simple page refresh of the topic.

Archived