Sending Bulk emails a farce

Vaultg

I cant believe that if your board is not busy the bulk emails wont send or very slowly

Really for the amount of money I have spent on just about everything the emailing system is totally letting this great IPB down badly

is there a way to fix this? is someone working on this? maybe insert phpbb3 into IPB and might work properly?

at this point cant see me updating or getting any more IPB add on's until this is fixed

Bulk emails should be sent immediately not days later as in my case for just 100 members

yes ranting but needs to be said

thanks

I agree it should be something that could be looked into., which I believe this is being fixed in version 3.4.0, correct me if Im wrong anyone?

You can set-up a cron job or press the button to do it manually. I've bulked over 50,000 members with success and without taking a long time.

Pressing the button still stops any more being sent once site is not active (with 50,000 members then unlikely your site is inactive so they will get sent

Ive been using the 3.4.0 (not intended on live communities), and I must say it had been doing an amazing job handling my bulk mails. Good Job IPB

mandrill is free.

Sure, for 12K messages or less.. about 400 per day. http://mandrill.com/pricing/

Though for Amazon SES that same 12K would cost you $1.20/month. After that there are stark differences in pricing. 12,001 messages costs The next tier for mandrill is $9.95 to get you up to 40K emails. I doubt people would be over this but 40K emails under Amazon SES costs $4 (plus some nominal charges based off of bandwidth used).

I'm not saying drop Mandrill, but if you have a customer with larger needs it's better to support Amazon SES.

I'm not saying drop Mandrill, but if you have a customer with larger needs it's better to support Amazon SES.

If Amazon SES has SMTP (which it does) there is nothing stopping you already from using it. They likely chose Mandrill because of easier integration and ease of mind.

If Amazon SES has SMTP (which it does) there is nothing stopping you already from using it. They likely chose Mandrill because of easier integration and ease of mind.

You're right! Actually looking through the interface there IS an SMTP option for Amazon SES. I think Mandrill is just fine.. I just always hope they write these service inclusions in a pluggable way.

Archived