licence being used

hardy67

thank you, but that's not what i meant. sorry, i guess is didn*t formulate my question right :)

i "lent" my licence to a friend, as far as i know, he set up a forum/board with it.

is it possible to see which board that is, as i have lost contact to him?

Its against the EULA to "loan" your key to another, this is part of the reason why there is now a fee to pay for a URL change, ie to prevent keys being used on different URL's...

I'd suggest if you can submit a ticket in the Client Area for assistance, or email accounts@invisionpower.com as its not something that can be solved on the forum itself.

If I knew that, I would have never responded :angry:

As far as I'm aware anyway as it was an administration time consuming task to determine who really owned what etc. There is a free change every so often anyway as far as I know, its only for repeated frequent changes the fee applies I think. :smile:

The OP should contact accounts via the Client Area or Email though as indicated. A staff member may reply here later with more information as I can only post what I feel is correct, helpful and relevant.

As far as I'm aware anyway as it was an administration time consuming task to determine who really owned what etc. There is a free change every so often anyway as far as I know, its only for repeated frequent changes the fee applies I think. :smile:

The OP should contact accounts via the Client Area or Email though as indicated. A staff member may reply here later with more information as I can only post what I feel is correct, helpful and relevant.

Thanks for the clarification Andy :thumbsup:

• Management

For clarification, you are permitted to change the URL for free once per renewal period. Note, however, the software must be uninstalled from the current URL before it can be changed. In other words, if you let your key out, it's forever tied to that URL until the software is removed or a new license is purchased.

In short: it's best not to share your key. :)

For clarification, you are permitted to change the URL for free once per renewal period. Note, however, the software must be uninstalled from the current URL before it can be changed. In other words, if you let your key out, it's forever tied to that URL until the software is removed or a new license is purchased.

In short: it's best not to share your key. :smile:

ok, i understand that now, i know i made a mistake.. :)

but still, how can i find out if there is a URL connected to this licence or not?

I've never gotten a response when I've asked this.

If you move domains, what happens if you don't change your license's domain? Why do you need to keep this frequently up-to-date?

My license hasn't been updated in the year or so that I've transferred domains, and I've never had an issue or bothered to update the URL since it still 301 redirects to the new site.

Is there any reason I need to update the domain on my license?

Without knowing, I would guess that services like Chat and Spam will verify that the request comes from the domain registered for the license. And will prevent you from activating it on a new domain.

I still use the spam service and have used IP.Chat once for testing in the past, so I don't think that's it.

Without knowing, I would guess that services like Chat and Spam will verify that the request comes from the domain registered for the license. And will prevent you from activating it on a new domain.

This.

When you move your site across domains or servers, the Spam Service will stop working after a certain amount of time (You'll get a TOO_MANY_IPS_LOGGED error) unless you go to the License Key section of the ACP and hit reload, which should ping our license servers and tell them of the new IP / domain etc. You would still need to manually change it on our end, as far as I'm aware.

This.

When you move your site across domains or servers, the Spam Service will stop working after a certain amount of time (You'll get a TOO_MANY_IPS_LOGGED error) unless you go to the License Key section of the ACP and hit reload, which should ping our license servers and tell them of the new IP / domain etc. You would still need to manually change it on our end, as far as I'm aware.

The domain listed on my license doesn't match up with my new domain, but the Spam Service still works for me.. :unsure:

I'm not doubting you at all, just noting. Maybe I'm just missing something on my end.

It's not like I want it to stop working or anything, so maybe I should shut up >_>.

The domain listed on my license doesn't match up with my new domain, but the Spam Service still works for me.. :unsure:

I'm not doubting you at all, just noting. Maybe I'm just missing something on my end.

It's not like I want it to stop working or anything, so maybe I should shut up >_>.

I would suggest that you simply update the domain. Technically, if you are using the license on a domain other than the licensed domain, in our eyes, it's an unlicensed copy, and illegal.

ök, so in my client center it says:

IPS Community Suite ()

(Expired)

IP.Board (Canceled)

so i guess no one is using the licence at this time and i can renew it to set up a new board if i want, right ?

No, it does not necessarily mean that. It means your active support and services are expired, but the license could very well still be in use somewhere if you authorized someone to use it somewhere.

Your best option right now is to use the client area to submit a ticket for assistance. The questions being asked are moving further and further in a direction that requires a staff member to look specifically at your account to be able to answer. :)

No, it does not necessarily mean that. It means your active support and services are expired, but the license could very well still be in use somewhere if you authorized someone to use it somewhere.

Your best option right now is to use the client area to submit a ticket for assistance. The questions being asked are moving further and further in a direction that requires a staff member to look specifically at your account to be able to answer. :smile:

ok, thank you..

just one more question and you'll be rid of me :)

how do i submit a ticket, never done this before :(

Archived