Can't use editor with iPad on this board with 3.4?

Millipede

I was on my iPad earlier (iPad 2 with iOS6) and wanted to post. But nothing would happen if I tapped inside the editor. No keyboard, nothing. I use the Atomic browser, with the user agent set for Firefox 15. I didn't try in Safari as I never use it by choice and Atomic has all my login passwords etc saved which Safari doesn't.

Is it just me or is it a bug with the 3.4 beta here as I have no problem posting on my own 3.3.4 forums?

Why are you forcing your browser to be something it's not? That prevents the javascript for the editor to parse a version that works for the browser you use. If you set that to default (which I guess is Webkit/Safari Mobile, as other engines aren't allowed on iOS), CKEditor would create a tablet/mobile friendly editor.

If your browser sends a Firefox user agent, the site is going to behave as if you are using Firefox (on a regular computer). Firefox supports the full blown editor, however last I checked, the iPad does not, which would explain why you are hitting a conflict.

In short, what you are doing is probably an untested and unsupported fringe case. Feel free to submit a bug report and we'll look into it, but a hunch says there's not going to be much we can do about that.

I purposely use a user agent in my iPad browsers for a variety of reasons, mainly to avoid sites that keep throwing annoying pop-ups telling you they've got some app or other (even if you have the app) or because some sites force you into a reduced mobile version.

Like I said, I have no problem posting on my own forums with 3.3.4, using any user agent in either Atomic or Mercury browsers. The only blip I get in 3.4.4 is with smilies: tapping on one places it in front of the very first word typed - but I can live with that :smile:

So it seems to me this inability to post (when not using iPad Safari) is for 3.4 only as I've only experienced it here on the IPS forums with 3.4? Should I therefore submit it as a possible bug or is it due to some change in the editor in 3.4?

Archived