Editor feedback

MisterPhilip

Some feedback we have for the editor...

1. Allow users to manually save their content. Sometimes we need to do research or write a tl;dr and it would be nice to force a save to the db in case we accidentally close the wrong tab, hit the backspace while not focused on the editor, etc.
  2. We feel that while the auto-save has defaults that are suitable for a majority of boards (especially those on lower-end boxes), it would be great to either allow the users to save or have the option to lower the delay between saves, without editing source JS files. A nice to have, but not necessary.
  3. Similarly, the checks between if a new reply exists... it would be nice to be able to change this without editing source JS files. On faster paced boards 2 minutes is a looong time. Obviously I can go in and edit the IPS_NEW_POST_POLLING variable. A nice to have, but not necessary.
  4. Currently there is no word wrapping when the editor is disabled and you're in "source mode." There are a few bug reports on this (see here and here), both of which say there isn't a fix that IPB is willing to do. Since 35% of our traffic is on Chrome, we looked into and have found a solution that seems to be working just fine. I've attached the code changes (from 3.3.4, I haven't checked 3.4b2 for merging issues yet but the issue still exists.) post-169839-0-82106100-1351402736_thumb.

I have a few other things, but I've placed them in the tracker since they appear to not be working as intended.

PS - Thanks for making the notification for new replies actually stick around. MUUUCHHH better now.

EDIT: new replies notification still disappears? I wish it didn't & had a close button instead :(

Also, I cannot find the thread / bug report that references this (I could've sworn there was one), but a notification should appear in the situation a new reply has been created when you hit the submit button. For example, if personA starts to type a reply and personB adds a reply 30 seconds later, if personA submits their reply at 60 seconds a notification should appear showing the new reply. This should allow users to edit their reply before submitting it since a new reply exists.

Actually it is. When you are typing a response and a new respond has been posted , you receive a small js tooltip on top of the screen that informs you about new reply.

:) That's not what he's asking for. He's asking for a notification that tells you there were new posts made when you hit the submit button so you can adjust your post accordingly. :)

:smile: That's not what he's asking for. He's asking for a notification that tells you there were new posts made when you hit the submit button so you can adjust your post accordingly. :smile:

It is not logical because the notification system functions on page reload only , additionally notification box will not be displayed on the monitors visible area when you are responding a thread via quick reply

It is not logical because the notification system functions on page reload only , additionally notification box will not be displayed on the monitors visible area when you are responding a thread via quick reply

:) That's not what he's asking for either. He's not asking for a notification from the core just a js pop up. :)

Archived