Force update to all members of Default Notifications Configuration

RObiN-HoOD

It seems that after the latest upgrade that I did a couple of months, some members ( I found a lot of them ) had their "Default Notifications" RESET to nothing (all checkboxes emtpy) and they were not getting any notification updates, including emails etc.

I don't know if this is an upgrade or general bug but still, I need to force an update to all members to Default Notifications Configuration in order to reset their notifications to the current defualt one.

How can I do that???

As far as I have seen saving the Default Notifications Configuration in ACP doesn't update members notifications settings.

I'd suspect the simple reason is spam prevention to prevent unscrupulous admins from setting everyone's notifications for emails etc, as too many complaints could in theory have a server blacklisted for email spam which may take a bit of trouble to get unlisted again.

This is absurd. You can spam everyone as an admin from bulk mail. I am sure this is not the reason.

Can someone provide an SQL statement up reset all members to default notifications preferences please?

or a mod/hook for a extra button "Reset notification preferences?" or anything that can do the trick?

thanks

I'd suspect the simple reason is spam prevention to prevent unscrupulous admins from setting everyone's notifications for emails etc, as too many complaints could in theory have a server blacklisted for email spam which may take a bit of trouble to get unlisted again.

There are plenty of valid reasons for this hook to exist. If somebody's going to exploit their member base, they don't need to muck with settings to do it.

That's true although I was thinking along the same lines there's no option in the bulk mailer now to forcefully send it to those who have opted out. True that is easily changed with a simple query but the point being IPS is taking sensible measures to avoid spam.

Speaking as a non php coder, the notifications are in a serialised array iirc so manual adjustment would not be as easy as you think. You'd have to expand it, adjust it and compress it back up again, doing that with a loop for all members.

There is this tool which will allow members (with said members permission, they have to agree to it) to reset their notification options > :)

Although I believe it should be up to the admin to decide what to do with his/her community, as I said in the 1st post, it's all because of a "bug"(?) or something (some problematic mod? though I didn't had any problems) that reset members' notification preferences. I had a member said to me that he wasn't receiving any updates from my site and then I looked it up and found that this must have taken place in the upgrade process a couple of months ago.

So, to tell you the truth, I don't know exactly why this happened but it must be corrected somehow.

I will try the mod. Thanks!

You're welcome.

I *think* that notification reset concern was a long time ago not a recent thing, possibly a 3.0.x to 3.1.x concern but I cannot recall offhand. Maybe when they were converted from 'subscribe to this forum / topic' to 'watch', :) as I say I'm not 100% sure without researching it although it was not recent as far as I know...

Archived