The Bug Tracker...

MisterPhilip

Since this is no longer IP.Tracker and is used in IP.Content, I'm not quite sure the best place for this feedback since it's probably a mix for both IP.Content and the custom bug tracker.

I feel like the Tracker here is a bit... unpolished? I think it is great that you guys are using IP.Content - this is a great way to show off the product, don't get me wrong... However I keep running into these issues:

1. Searching absolutely sucks. I used to feel bad for posting duplicate issues, but I search for a good 5-10min before to make sure I'm not duplicating any issues. If I'm not able to find a duplicate within that time frame, then I consider it a new issue. My main beefs:
    1. The "Advanced" search should let me search both bug trackers AND bug tracker comments at the same time. Somebody might not have mentioned an issue or specific error message in the main ticket but instead within a comment. We've all accidentally hit submit before we were ready and without the power to edit our own reports we sometimes need to follow up in a comment. It'd be awesome to be able to do both instead of just either.
    2. Enclosing longer phrases (usually anything over 3-4 words) doesn't seem to work and instead of looking as a phrase it searches as individual words. For example, I just posted a new bug report and it has the exact phrase "You are not permitted to modify all or some of your profile information." in it. If you search for "You are not permitted to modify all or some of your profile information." with quotes, you get 2,318 results. For at the least the first few pages, mine is the only one with that exact quote. What is the point of placing it in quotes to search as a phrase if it doesn't limit it to tickets with that exact phrase? And yes, match is set to "all words" and not "any words"
    3. Filtering when you're viewing the tracker is awesome. I can specify a version and the current status. I'd really like to be able to do this when searching (e.g. show me only bugs with "foo bar" in version 3.4.0). I'm able to sort by status / version / fixed in, but not completely filter out insignificant results that do not pertain to what version / etc. I'm looking for.
  2. SSO really causes issues. Half the time I get "You do not have permission to post this new bug report" or something similar to that when I am posting a new bug. Maybe it is a sign that there is a duplicate bug report already and I should just give up wink.png Luckily I usually copy/paste what I'm reporting before hitting submit, otherwise I'd be losing that data.
  3. Attach file (basic uploader) has recently gotten quite a few redirect loops (at least in Chrome) making it impossible to attach a new file without refreshing the page. The advanced uploader has been OK , at least for the past 2 uploads.
  4. Follow doesn't seem to work or at least I cannot find where to change the notification settings for Resources other than Articles. For example, I follow this bug report. When Andy updated it with the status / fixed in, I never got notification. Same goes with when there is a regular text comment - I do not get any notifications. As previously mentioned, the only notification settings I see for resources are "Notification method to use for article subscriptions" and "Notification method to use for articles pending approval". Neither of these are used for the tracker are they?
  5. Using filters with a version does not seem to work with pagination. For example, if I select 3.3.4 as the version and hit update filters and click on either the "2" or the "Next" button within the pagination bar, it comes up with "Sorry, we couldn't find that! That page doesn't exist", which again really complicates things when you're trying to view a lot of issues for a specific version to verify you're not duplicating a bug report.

I like finding bugs. It's a challenge for me and my team to go through software and poke at it until it breaks... But reporting bugs on here in the current bug tracker really makes that more difficult, or at least a lot less enjoyable. Sure, I could go through the client center and create support topics for everything, but that'd just be wasting the support staff's time instead of helping other clients that need actual assistance (a vast majority of the bugs are non-essential.) Anyways. Just my $0.02

4:As previously mentioned, the only notification settings I see for resources are "Notification method to use for article subscriptions" and "Notification method to use for articles pending approval". Neither of these are used for the tracker are they?

Yes, they are, it is a global IPC option, as databases can come and... ahem.... go.

You need to check an option for "Notification method to use for article subscriptions" to receive notifications from IPC.

Yes, they are, it is a global IPC option, as databases can come and... ahem.... go.

You need to check an option for "Notification method to use for article subscriptions" to receive notifications from IPC.

Okay, that's fine then. The wording is just misleading IMO. A Database is not considered an Article... or is it?

hrmm, I can agree the wording could use work.... the problem is it necessarily needs to be ambiguous to 'records' of all 'databases'(your average front-end user as a note, would have 0 clue what either means as they are never referred to as such), as a separate option for each database would mean a lot of hassle in notify opts whenever a new database is added to the site.

Any suggestions? smile.png

Re 4 - I thought I posted a suggestion but it does not appear it was successful.

I'll need to check to see what it is set to by default in IPC (I highly doubt that it has the subtitle "Resources" above the options)... but for this site something along the lines of:

Notification method to use for resource subscriptions

Notification method to use for resources pending approval

Basically it should match whatever the subtitle is.

--

5: post a bug report in content please.... that simply is not WAI, and has nothing to do with the localized sso.

5 or 2? :)

Using filters with a version does not seem to work with pagination. For example, if I select 3.3.4 as the version and hit update filters and click on either the "2" or the "Next" button within the pagination bar, it comes up with "Sorry, we couldn't find that! That page doesn't exist", which again really complicates things when you're trying to view a lot of issues for a specific version to verify you're not duplicating a bug report.

5: Reproducing, and that flies right beyond to suggestion to bug. :)

4: I'll need to check to see what it is set to by default in IPC (I highly doubt that it has the subtitle "Resources" above the options)... but for this site something along the lines of:

'Pages' is the Stock.

it is a language string, but 'Pages/Resources' is the application title, rarely actually used in content, which is hardly relevant at stock, or once configured.

On my site, for example that would come out to:

Notification method to use for Home subscriptions

Notification method to use for Home pending approval

it is a language string, but 'Pages/Resources' is the application title, which is hardly relevant at stock.

Well, OK.. why aren't we breaking Articles & Databases out? Sure, it doesn't need to be for each database but just a generic one:

Notification method to use for article subscriptions

Notification method to use for articles pending approval

Notification method to use for database (record?) subscriptions

Notification method to use for databases (records?) pending approval

I recognize that there won't be one solution that fits all installs, nor do I expect there to be one. However, lumping articles and databases together and labeling it as "Articles" seems odd to me. Maybe the option for notification settings for each database does start to make sense. To go along with the "we don't want stupidly long settings pages", why not have a toggle / accordion to only show the relevant notification preference options for that subgroup? E.g. All are hidden, but if I click on "Topics & Posts", it shows options under "Topics & Posts".

(Perhaps this is more IPC related than tracker and should be split to there)

Since this is no longer IP.Tracker and is used in IP.Content, I'm not quite sure the best place for this feedback since it's probably a mix for both IP.Content and the custom bug tracker.

I feel like the Tracker here is a bit... unpolished? I think it is great that you guys are using IP.Content - this is a great way to show off the product, don't get me wrong... However I keep running into these issues:

1. Searching absolutely sucks. I used to feel bad for posting duplicate issues, but I search for a good 5-10min before to make sure I'm not duplicating any issues. If I'm not able to find a duplicate within that time frame, then I consider it a new issue. My main beefs:
    1. The "Advanced" search should let me search both bug trackers AND bug tracker comments at the same time. Somebody might not have mentioned an issue or specific error message in the main ticket but instead within a comment. We've all accidentally hit submit before we were ready and without the power to edit our own reports we sometimes need to follow up in a comment. It'd be awesome to be able to do both instead of just either.
    2. Enclosing longer phrases (usually anything over 3-4 words) doesn't seem to work and instead of looking as a phrase it searches as individual words. For example, I just posted a new bug report and it has the exact phrase "You are not permitted to modify all or some of your profile information." in it. If you search for "You are not permitted to modify all or some of your profile information." with quotes, you get 2,318 results. For at the least the first few pages, mine is the only one with that exact quote. What is the point of placing it in quotes to search as a phrase if it doesn't limit it to tickets with that exact phrase? And yes, match is set to "all words" and not "any words"
    3. Filtering when you're viewing the tracker is awesome. I can specify a version and the current status. I'd really like to be able to do this when searching (e.g. show me only bugs with "foo bar" in version 3.4.0). I'm able to sort by status / version / fixed in, but not completely filter out insignificant results that do not pertain to what version / etc. I'm looking for.
  2. SSO really causes issues. Half the time I get "You do not have permission to post this new bug report" or something similar to that when I am posting a new bug. Maybe it is a sign that there is a duplicate bug report already and I should just give up wink.png Luckily I usually copy/paste what I'm reporting before hitting submit, otherwise I'd be losing that data.
  3. Attach file (basic uploader) has recently gotten quite a few redirect loops (at least in Chrome) making it impossible to attach a new file without refreshing the page. The advanced uploader has been OK , at least for the past 2 uploads.
  4. Follow doesn't seem to work or at least I cannot find where to change the notification settings for Resources other than Articles. For example, I follow this bug report. When Andy updated it with the status / fixed in, I never got notification. Same goes with when there is a regular text comment - I do not get any notifications. As previously mentioned, the only notification settings I see for resources are "Notification method to use for article subscriptions" and "Notification method to use for articles pending approval". Neither of these are used for the tracker are they?
  5. Using filters with a version does not seem to work with pagination. For example, if I select 3.3.4 as the version and hit update filters and click on either the "2" or the "Next" button within the pagination bar, it comes up with "Sorry, we couldn't find that! That page doesn't exist", which again really complicates things when you're trying to view a lot of issues for a specific version to verify you're not duplicating a bug report.

I like finding bugs. It's a challenge for me and my team to go through software and poke at it until it breaks... But reporting bugs on here in the current bug tracker really makes that more difficult, or at least a lot less enjoyable. Sure, I could go through the client center and create support topics for everything, but that'd just be wasting the support staff's time instead of helping other clients that need actual assistance (a vast majority of the bugs are non-essential.) Anyways. Just my $0.02

Great feedback! Very clear and spelled out (if the post was a tad long lol).

1) Searching was very recently updated to make use of fulltext support and to order by relevancy. Sadly, MySQL searching has always been a little weak (the same argument is made for all apps) and the only way to resolve this truly would be to support Sphinx with IP.Content (which we don't actually utilize here anyways). While Sphinx support is on our todo list, and search improvements on the whole are also planned for 4.0 Suite, there will always be limits to what we can accomplish sadly.

1a) This is a simple limitation in the ability to search multiple database tables simultaneously. You cannot do this in any app, for the same (technical) reasons. We are also looking at different solutions for this in 4.0 Suite, but no promises.

1b) We can try looking into this, although be aware that MySQL fulltext searching does not support searching words less than 4 characters which would still affect your results with the example you provided. It is yet another technical limitation unfortunately. Sphinx by default supports 3 characters and up.

1c) We want to implement field search filtering in a future version of IP.Content.

2) We understand and sympathize with this issue (we work out of the tracker for a large portion of the day as you can imagine, so we hit this issue more often than anyone), and we are hoping to resolve it as we transition to the new IPSConnect framework once 3.4 goes final.

3) This is the same as #2 basically. Certain keys get reset due to the SSO causing requests to redirect.

4) Marcher has already clarified this. I'm not sure there's any single word that can encompass all databases clearly (and the average user on the average site is probably looking for 'article' subscriptions since that is the most commonly used database for clients). We have some ideas to improve this in the core follow framework in 4.0 Suite however, so hopefully this will be addressed in the next major version.

5) If this is reproducible it would be a bug.

Archived