[IF] IPB Shoutbox

Pete T

I actually the only reason why for the charging is because Jlogica is maintaining it and it was handed to him so its not stealing. Two if he is updating it and constantly make it better, than there is nothing wrong with 15 dollars for a year, that is cheap from a programmers aspect. I dont see why 15 bucks is a big deal, if you want to complain you have every right too. But don't exspect premium service for free.

People wonder why I get grumpy?

I take exception to you intimating that I somehow 'stole' Shoutbox. The previous author/owner transferred all rights to the software to me to do with as I will, that is not stealing and to try and compare it to someone ripping off IPS or otherwise dealing illegally with it is frankly hugely annoying. You are entitled to your opinion but the facts are that Shoutbox is now mine, I specifically left the previous version, including two updates I made, available for people for 'free' v1.3.8+ is no longer 'free' how you have been shortchanged is beyond me.

First issue you are charging for work some one else did. That to me is like stealing. It would be is if I took the ips software it self and started selling it with only making minor changes.

I think people are mis reading what I am saying. I may have mentioned the fact it is a paid mod but that is not way I am upset. I would be glad to pay for a mod and have done so. However I do not like the idea that someone else started it. If JLogica scrapped the old code and created it with all his own code. I would not have an issue paying for it.

The other reason that has me upset is I considered the old developer one of the best developers on the planet or in some cases the best for ips. It is very upsetting that he is no longer developing it. Although I understand that he no longer has time to do it.

Any way I didn't want to post in here in the first place as I knew this would happen and people would take it wrong.

This is just like when someone sells a company, they are giving everything from that company to the individual who bought it. They aren't expecting that individual to start over from bottom up. If anybody were to have a problem with this, it should be Michael, but clearly he doesn't since he's the one who transferred all rights/files/etc. . over to JLogica. And Jlogica is charging due to the fact that he will be updating constantly and doing more things with the mod. And with that being said charging 15 bucks in reality isn't too bad. He does what he says, and even goes beyond what is expected most times.

I understand what you mean with the whole issue of someone else making it and him charging, but I think that is a moot point based on what I first mentioned. With that being said, if you purchase the mod, I'm certain JLogica will be more than happy to take your ideas or whatever you might have into consideration.

This is just like when someone sells a company, they are giving everything from that company to the individual who bought it. They aren't expecting that individual to start over from bottom up. If anybody were to have a problem with this, it should be Michael, but clearly he doesn't since he's the one who transferred all rights/files/etc. . over to JLogica.

Well that I can understand. Any way as stated I am more upset that Michael is not doing the IP.shoutbox. If Michael charged 15 for it I would pay it in a heart beat.

I guess I just need to get used to the idea that some one else is updating this mod. But it is going to take time for me to feel comfortable enough to pay.

Michael didn't start the mod, he also took over from someone.

I had forgotten about that.

Maybe it is more of the idea that someone I do not know took it over. And because I do not know him I do not know what he will do with the mod. I have seen mods and even companies taken over or bought out that has resulted in a very bad experience. Eventually ending the company and mod. So I guess deep down I might be scared that will happen to this mod. I want to have a shoutbox long into the future. I do not want to see it go away or go down hill as I have seen with so many other mods.

I was just thinking of how I would feel if someone else took it over. I do not think I would feel so hurt if Andy took it over. I have not seen him in forever. Last I heard he was working on the iarcade with Collin.

I have no problem with this being made commercial as long as you make a sincere effort to address concerns or suggestions raised in the support thread. It concerns me that you say support is not free even for paid mods since your support ticket costs $17.50. You will find that you will have many more people on your side (as well as not losing the ones already on your side) as long as you don't ignore them.

Also, please check your PGN chess support thread. Thank you.

It concerns me that you say support is not free even for paid mods since your support ticket costs $17.50.

If you want one-on-one technical support it is not free. Frankly I am getting pretty tired of this....

Then hand it off to someone else and stop complaining. Or just let it die.

If, as it must seem to anyone else but you, you have no interest in what I am doing please don't post in my support topics. Your 'input' is not appreciated by me and probably most other interested parties I give you fair warning now that I will aggressively try to stop nonsense posted in all of my support topics.

I don't expect you to dedicate your time and effort for free, but what time and effort are we talking about? How much have you contributed to the app?

Support. In case you are unaware, you also pay IPS for this too... ya I know what you are thinking "OMG IPS DOES THIS TOO??? INJUSTICE!"

It does not matter how much he has changed it 'right now'. JLogica will continue to develop it over time. If you buy it now it costs less, OR you can wait until he has done more development(So that you feel it's more justified in you own heart) then pay full price.

It's 12 bucks, buy 1 less drink and chips from the shop and you've already covered the cost. Actually, it's more sad to say this application is comparable to a drink in chips in real life... you'd think it would be worth more.

I've removed all discussion on pricing, and all personal attacks, the latter of which will not be tolerated here.

If you have a problem with this modification being paid, or this modification author, please do not post it in this topic. Keep it between yourself and the developer, or as the old adage goes - "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all".

This is a topic for SUPPORT. Let's please keep it that way guys.

Thank you!

I've removed all discussion on pricing, and all personal attacks, the latter of which will not be tolerated here.

If you have a problem with this modification being paid, or this modification author, please do not post it in this topic. Keep it between yourself and the developer, or as the old adage goes - "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say it at all".

This is a topic for SUPPORT. Let's please keep it that way guys.

Thank you!

I agree with that. ;) And yet when is MT Real Stats integration coming? (I just want to know and I think it is polite to ask this in a support topic)

@ JLogica - You did a good job bug fixing this shoutbox application. :)

So if I may ask, what is the difference between this and the free version? And how would it benefit to spend money on this?

Did you look at the features and free version notes I am pretty sure it is explained in the file listing.

So if I may ask, what is the difference between this and the free version? And how would it benefit to spend money on this?

The paid version lack the new negative-features such as logo-branding and shout-limits. The benefit of spending money on it is that you don't get the recent nerfs which the free version has received.

As far as positive features, it has sound but it's not as good as the paid sound hook.

The good news is that the paid version is compatible with the paid sound hook (which gives you a better sound and volume control). Just make sure to disable the default shoutbox sound if you use that hook.

Edit: I crosschecked both the threads, and there is something called @user formatting in the paid version. I just read through this thread couldn't shed any light on it, but I did find a question:

I've read through most of this topic, and did not see this question answered, sorry if I missed it.

In the features listed for this release, there is:

• @User custom name format

I haven't noticed any changes to the @ feature since it was first added as a feature. Could anyone explain, or provide information on what I need to do to make this new feature work?

Sorry if I didn't help or if I was missing something.

I have an issue.

When I first login and I haven't shouted anything, If I go ahead and shout something, it won't show up, if I try to shout again, I get this message: "A shout is already being submitted, please wait until the loading is complete".

That first shout only shows up when I refresh the entire forum, now just the shoutbox with its refresh button. The same thing happens to see shouts made by other members.

I've checked that if somebody else shouts, I won't see it until I refresh the entire forum.

After I refresh the entire forum, and I see my first shout, yes, every shout I make from there, shows up instantly.

My posts seems to be getting jumbled up, like the times on posts are all different per user and the posts are ending all disorganised.

I Use cloudflare which caches my site on multiple cloud cdns, would this cause such behaviour?

I tried switching shoutbox posts from cache to database but it didn't help at all.