Community

Links Directory [IP.Board 3.4]

Adriano Faria

I don't see how this looks bad on your from what I can see Marcher you always been there to help me when you had time as well explain things to me that I was trying to understand.  I like Links and enjoy it a lot. I had a quick question for you tho. I want to upgrade to 4.0 and still have Links Directory v4.0.3. What is the best way to keep my data but still upgrade and upgrade my Links later when the mod is ready for release?

13 hours ago, Marcher Technologies said:

I do apologize for going dark on this topic... I have been trying to think of the best way to say this, but there is no good way TO say it, and I no longer care about how bad it looks on me, it already looks horrible as it is, so here goes.

This application has been in development hell for the last 6 months, with me trying to keep pace with IPS releases in between custom jobs. I am aiming for a 4.1 release, as it seems that 4.1 will be more stable in updates, but I can make no promises. I'm not going to try to convince anyone to not use pages, if it works for you, go for it, I can't ask you to wait for me to actually get everything working before there is another release breaking things.

This doesn't make you look bad at all.

The new version is still in flux and a new system to learn as well. There are only so many hoops you can be expected to jump through.

Looking forward to this.

Good luck with the progress!

Thanks for the update Marcher and for being open about it. You're not alone from what I can see, the rapid development cycle is causing some theme designers with catalogues of 3.4.8 themes a nightmare too, they just can't keep up and seem to be overwhelmed. You have to feel sorry for them as we all scream and shout for the next latest release - it's catch 22.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2015 at 1:40 AM, Marcher Technologies said:

I do apologize for going dark on this topic... I have been trying to think of the best way to say this, but there is no good way TO say it, and I no longer care about how bad it looks on me, it already looks horrible as it is, so here goes.

This application has been in development hell for the last 6 months, with me trying to keep pace with IPS releases in between custom jobs. I am aiming for a 4.1 release, as it seems that 4.1 will be more stable in updates, but I can make no promises. I'm not going to try to convince anyone to not use pages, if it works for you, go for it, I can't ask you to wait for me to actually get everything working before there is another release breaking things.

Hey Marcher it been about four months just thought I chime in and see how things are going are any update you can give?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, RObiN-HoOD said:

Can you tell us how exactly?

These articles describe the general process of setting up and customizing a Pages database. It is for movie database, but a links directory isn’t much different. You just add other fields like an URL field. A links directory is really easy to do in Pages. Categories, filters, images, tags … it’s all there. 

7 minutes ago, Michael R said:

Does anyone know a way to automatically pull a snapshot of the webpage?

There are web services which do this and someone would have to write a plugin which then uses the API of such a service to upload the image into the image fields of the IPS software. Doable, but not a simple/cheap task. 

3 hours ago, opentype said:

There are web services which do this and someone would have to write a plugin which then uses the API of such a service to upload the image into the image fields of the IPS software. Doable, but not a simple/cheap task. 

That's what I thought. The old Links app somehow pulled a thumb; not unlike Mike John's Videos app.

Of course I can tell my members to upload an image, but they just aren't smart enough to be able to save a logo or screen shot and upload it.

On 2/15/2016 at 7:13 AM, opentype said:

These articles describe the general process of setting up and customizing a Pages database. It is for movie database, but a links directory isn’t much different. You just add other fields like an URL field. A links directory is really easy to do in Pages. Categories, filters, images, tags … it’s all there. 

Could you export your database and allow us to download it? It don't download the content just the information in it to make it up. IP.Page database that is.

• 2 weeks later...