What's with the short editing windows?

Eric Allione

This suggestion is restricted to this site only and not IPB in general but,

I was just correcting a submission I made exactly 2 hours ago to a support thread and then got a message saying: 'You do not have permission to edit this thread.'

In topics where I haven't got any answers and I was regularly providing updates, I've had to spam my own thread with up to five consecutive posts since my editing window kept timing out. I don't see why our editing windows expire so early, especially in the absence of replies. It would be more logical to have something like: 'If 4 hours has passed' AND 'there have been replies to this post', then it may not be edited.

tl'dr - The editing window for 'Clients' is unnecessarily short and arguably completely unnecessary in the absence of follow-up posts. This results in unnecessary forum spam and bumps.

I have 150 posts right now and would probably have less than a 100 if not for this feature.

It is likely the same reason I have it set on my board to 15 minutes (yes, 15 min.) By disallowing users to edit, hide or completely remove their posts, it allows others to see what actions were taken during a thread. A prime example is a help thread - where the user asks a question and it is then solved later on. A lot of users want to be able to say "Okay since it is now solved, please remove it." But... when you do remove this (or allow users to edit out their responses / original question) it does not allow for others with the same problem to see what solution was used, which could possibly solve their problem too.

I thought there was a setting (maybe it is a hook) that combined consecutive posts by the same author.

Are you just suggesting that that we report all double/triple/quadruple+ posts so that a moderator can merge them? Or is there actually a setting that members/clients can use?

:) He's talking about the ACP setting that automatically merges posts that are made within a time frame that you can set. :)

Archived