A better phone App? Like tapatalk?

Rod.

I greatly dislike the fact that I have to keep updating my forum with the latest tapatalk code. I would much rather my members use the IPB app, however tapatalk unfortunately does a better job -- what I'm being told by my members.

Are there any plans to create a better IPB app that is more comparable to tapatalk? If so, once it's available I'll gladly remove all tapatalk code. Until then, I'm stuck with them.

Thanks.

Tapatalk and Forum runner are problematic scripts. Especially after IB gathering Forum Runner , forum runner is loosing their touch. However IPB needs to offer branded version of their app.

This is what I said. I disabled support for the app entirely on my board and was actually rather irritated when I found out it was automatically trying to sell my members their paid app without my knowing or consent.

Use the tapatalk iPad 'timeline'. It FUBAR'd the topic marking table for ALL of my users. You may not have hit a glitch with it yet, but odds are you will. And when you do, tapatalk support won't care and won't help. They'll leave you with the mess to clean up.

how can the mobile app mess up the board?

used it on smf, phpbb, IPB w/o issues, but confused as to how that could even happen.

does it happen when ipad user (like admin or mod) edits something? what action drives the error?

I want to make sure I avoid it if possible.

The app does have to interact with topic marking. How else could it mark a topic read or know what is unread? I used the iPad 'timeline' mode. All of my users reported topic marking issues after using timeline when logged in with an admin account. They marked the board read, I went back into timeline and their marking was FUBAR again. Said they had dozens of unread posts when they marked the board read moments before. I haven't used timeline again and no further issues have been reported. Tapatalk support was less than helpful and I didn't want to deal with it anymore, so just got rid of it and didn't worry about any logs

I had a very busy board before it died (it had a finite life) so I can assure you, there's enough mileage for an informed comment. wink.png

To each his own. I can assure you, though, my issues were due to Tapatalk. I'm glad you haven't had any issues with it. I hope it stays that way.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just removed Tapatalk from my big board, because it was showing spammy popups to Google Chrome users telling them to download the chrome notifier from the Google webstore.

Tapatalk does not have a setting to disable this, nor have they asked permission to advertise their products/services on my website.

Mind that the notifier will bring your website down if you have a lot of users. Its similar to a DoS attack because of the massive number of requests every user makes.

I really hope that IPS will provide a responsive design in IPS 4 so that no mobile apps are needed.

Thanks. That may work. Though there already are various file edits to do with every monthly update of their software. I think i will just go back to a mobile skin. There is too much hassle with tapatalk breaking frequently with new updates and paying members rightfully complaining over issues I have no control over.

You can inhibit some of these side effects with tapatalk by digging into the hook XML file and taking out all of their script popup junk.

I think any app that tries to force your members to download third party software like that should never be used or trusted to begin with.

I'd support your decision not to use it, Alfa1.

it only prompts if the option to use it is checked in ACP.

if you enable the tapatalk notifier for chrome it need chrome extension to work, but it should be set to not prompt users.

anyone make suggestion to tapatalk about this?

was update 2 days ago or so, not sure if it addressed that or not.

also renaming tapatalkdetect-nochrome.js worked for me.

I asked if I could disable the notifier and they told me no. I am not aware of any ACP settings in the tapatalk ACP.

Tapatalk by default notifes all chrome users and all mobile and tablet users to buy their apps. Even if you only allow specific usergroups to use tapatalk.

Archived