My Media unfriendly in 3.4

KT Walrus

I was hoping the changes to CKEditor would allow an image inserted by My Media to be rendered on insertion and allow for proportional resizing. The current behavior is user unfriendly. If I insert a link to the attachment, then the image is rendered in the editor. Why can't My Media insert image links instead of BBCode?

I'd also like to see an option to insert the image as a thumbnail (which wouldn't allow resizing) and a resized image (resized to fit in a 600x600 box with proportional resizing enabled).

• Management

The problem is that the "My Media" button allows various different types of media to be inserted. Some of which isn't rendered until display() is called.

Also, it's not easy to add complex mark-up into the editable area of CKEditor. Say you had an image that was wrapped in a border - you could accidentally delete the css class and it would then render it incorrectly.

The problem is that the "My Media" button allows various different types of media to be inserted. Some of which isn't rendered until display() is called.

Also, it's not easy to add complex mark-up into the editable area of CKEditor. Say you had an image that was wrapped in a border - you could accidentally delete the css class and it would then render it incorrectly.

I was thinking all "My Media" different types of media would show a thumbnail image of the media (where the thumbnail might be a large 600px on one side image). Regardless, all media could be represented with a URL in the forum that could be used as src for img tag that would return the appropriate image. I don't even care if videos have the play button shown on the thumbnail (the video doesn't have to be playable in the editor).

I haven't looked at customizing CKEditor, but why would the "My Media" require "complex mark-up"? Can't the inserted HTML be a single img tag possibly with extra data attributes? As for more complex styling, that could wait until the post has been saved to the database. I'm only interested in not having members see BBCode and to have a visual representation of what was "inserted" by "My Media" that is as close as possible to the way other members will see the post.

BTW, I love that you solved the problem with seeing QUOTE BBCodes in the editor. Thank you very much. I can't wait to upgrade to 3.4.

I was thinking all "My Media" different types of media would show a thumbnail image of the media (where the thumbnail might be a large 600px on one side image). Regardless, all media could be represented with a URL in the forum that could be used as src for img tag that would return the appropriate image. I don't even care if videos have the play button shown on the thumbnail (the video doesn't have to be playable in the editor).

I haven't looked at customizing CKEditor, but why would the "My Media" require "complex mark-up"? Can't the inserted HTML be a single img tag possibly with extra data attributes? As for more complex styling, that could wait until the post has been saved to the database. I'm only interested in not having members see BBCode and to have a visual representation of what was "inserted" by "My Media" that is as close as possible to the way other members will see the post.

BTW, I love that you solved the problem with seeing QUOTE BBCodes in the editor. Thank you very much. I can't wait to upgrade to 3.4.

The output above is why, we as developers can put anything we so desire as the output of that bbcode, is not image-centric at all.
Then look at the simple fact of dynamic data, how precisely would you make that^, save like this:
[sharedmedia=downloads:files:5467]

so that the file name is correct when changed?

Then the fact any dev can add these as needed, and you have a mammothly complex beast in doing what you suggest.

Calendars don't have any usable image. If you share a calendar event, it uses a generic calendar icon (just for prettiness, to make it less boring). Similarly, a blog entry very well may not have any sort of image associated with it.

My Media is not restricted to image attachments. You can't represent the complex markup that can be accomplished through shared media with a simple image in the editor.

My concern is with images and videos. So, why can't we render the images and videos inserted by My Media in a manner similar to the way they will appear in the post?

Basically, I don't like members seeing BBCode in an RTE editor. You "fixed" quotes. I guess I'll have to fix My Media myself if I'm bothered enough by it (which I think I am). I really don't mind transforming into HTML when inserted and not ever storing/using BBCode at all. And, I think CSS3 is powerful enough to style a single img tag to not have the inserted HTML be complex, leading to editing problems.

Anyway, just my feedback...

so loss of the dynamic attributes of the item are not an issue for you?

Even unto an item being deleted holding a bad link for no way to removed it on deletion of that item?

If you insert a dynamic link to an image (such as http://my.forum.com/index.php?img=12496) then a deleted item can be easily detected and replaced with a "deleted image" so you don't get broken links in an old post. You can also do permission checking before serving up the image.

That would require you to parse through the content, grab all URLs, determine which ones are to internal content that have some sort of handler, run the checks and return...it would be a lot of additional resources over the current method.

Suffice to say, I don't think what you are describing is likely to be included in the immediate future. While you may be primarily interested in images and videos, as I said, the My Media tool can share ANY type of content, and subsequently we need to keep the sharing system generic so that other apps don't have a problem. You are certainly free to modify the software as you see fit for your own site, however. :)

Archived