Can we store the member id in quotes?

Rimi

:ph34r: To use it... some places could really use quote notifications.

Consistency-wise, I'm shocked that quote notifications haven't misfired when 2 display names match.

Nobody says it has to be shown, just stored as an attribute or comment.

I guess it wasn't clear to me what the request was.... and now I see what was being said. :)

fear.png To use it... some places could really use quote notifications.

Consistency-wise, I'm shocked that quote notifications haven't misfired when 2 display names match(must be pulled off the pid).

Nobody says it has to be shown, just stored as an attribute or comment.

Hmm, I don't think that's ever happened. Think you're correct about it pulling the pid.

I want it to store the member id (and like you said just store it, don't think it needs to be displayed) so that I can make a hook (or IPS can make a feature) that blocks quoted posts from ignored users without adding more queries.

Having the member ID in the quote could be still useful though, for example the member name can change so it's not a reliable way to load the member data.

People might argue that's how they want it to work though, so they can change their display name and have their earlier quoted posts not be connected with their new display name.

I guess it wasn't clear to me what the request was.... and now I see what was being said. smile.png

Had me confused too. I thought she meant to put the member ID in quotes like in the DB.. "1" "2" etc. But when MT said it, then I got it and I had actually thought about that many times before. Store the member ID (in addition to the member name for cases when the member ID is no longer valid, it still has a name to show).

For the idea itself, consider me to be a huge supporter of this suggestion.

Having the member ID in the quote could be still useful though, for example the member name can change so it's not a reliable way to load the member data.

Exactly.

People might argue that's how they want it to work though, so they can change their display name and have their earlier quoted posts not be connected with their new display name.

Click the snapback icon, see original post, see current display name. That's if someone can't view the display name history from the member's profile. Either way, purpose defeated.

Actually I'm not saying to change the display name of the quote when parsing the post but rather (as an example) if I write some kind of mod that requires to load the member data of a quoted text and the display name doesn't exist anymore it wouldn't work.

Actually I'm not saying to change the display name of the quote when parsing the post but rather (as an example) if I write some kind of mod that requires to load the member data of a quoted text and the display name doesn't exist anymore it wouldn't work.

I think it should show the current display name, using only the stored name if the member's account gets deleted or something.

Wouldn't displaying the name require a lot of queries?

Don't see why it would. At most, one query, but it might be possible to pull the information at the same time it's pulling names of members for the posts it's going to be showing. After all, each time you change your name on here (you're about due to play musical-display-names again), notice how your messages use your current name and not your past names? Already doing a query, right? smile.png

The quote bbcode can be used in multiple places. Every instance of it's use would require a query to match the id to a name.

Not true. For one, people can use the quote bbCode without including any information to it (ie no date or name). When the information is there, all the members can be grabbed using one query, so it's not a 'every instance' that would require a query. Have 20 quotes on a page? One query can get all the member ID's, don't need 20 queries. Even without using add-join, it can be done with one query:
WHERE member_id IN(id,id,id,id,etc)

Obviously I was talking about quotes that have all the data in them... Forget it. Back to ignoring.

I addressed the part of it having the ID in there, you still wouldn't need a single query for each quote used. One query can grab information for multiple members, simple as that.

I addressed the part of it having the ID in there, you still wouldn't need a single query for each quote used. One query can grab information for multiple members, simple as that.

You're forgetting that quotes are not parsed all at the end but for each single call to the display method. Rewriting how the parsing works just for that would be a total waste of time and resources imo.

Still having the ID in there would help sometimes, and if you really want to rebuild the display names something like that could be included in the rebuild posts content tool perhaps so you'd have to run it instead of wasting additional queries for a minor thing on each topic/post view with quotes.

You're forgetting that quotes are not parsed all at the end but for each single call to the display method. Rewriting how the parsing works just for that would be a total waste of time and resources imo.

What about one function to collect the ID's and put in a 'key' in place of the names, then at the end, DB query and then replace the keys with the names? smile.png

Too overly-complicate for such a minor thing, as I said it's not worth the time imo tongue.png

I just took a look and sheeeeeeeeeeeeesh the code is very unforgiving. Was gonna see if I could make a hook to add member ID's to quotes but it's useless because anything extra added in is stripped. :

Stop derailing my thread. sad.png

We're talking about member ID's within the quote tags, right? Or was this topic about something else?

Archived