Big Board Conversion

GreenLinks

The new converters are available for testing only. If you have a large forum, or you're converting and finding the converters are too slow please submit a ticket for my attention and I will send you the download so you can try out the new improvements. All being well they'll be available for everyone shortly :)

• 4 weeks later...

The new converters are available for testing only. If you have a large forum, or you're converting and finding the converters are too slow please submit a ticket for my attention and I will send you the download so you can try out the new improvements. All being well they'll be available for everyone shortly :smile:

Is the converter released yesterday with IPB3.4 the version which keeps ID?

Thanks

Is the converter released yesterday with IPB3.4 the version which keeps ID?

Thanks

Yes it is, though that specific change only applies to vBulletin conversions at this stage, we can roll it out to others with ease if requested but vBulletin is where we see the bulk of the very large forums coming from.

• 2 weeks later...

We are using Mailchimp pretty active and have no interest of moving to another solution. We have close to 750k total users subscribed to our lists. Our forum is one of the biggest and active boards out there but our shop is the heart of our business. We have separate lists for shop , forum and other sides of our network. Mailchimp has key importance as it is tied to every system we use.

Currently on our board users can subscribe to our lists on registration , can update their mailing lists through user control panel and they can also be controlled through Admin/Mod user edit.

So mailchimp is a must for us and we will get it ready prior putting our board live.

We however decided to directly convert our system to IPB 3.4 so we will possibly delay our full conversion in second week of January ( if IPB 3.4 will be released within Devember )

I am not sure if I am not understanding you or you dont understand what Mandrill is.... Mandrill = Mailchimp Mandrill is for your outgoing emails like customer registrations, notifications etc it also works for outgoing marketing emails. Instead of configuring an SMTP settings in IPB you configure Mandrill settings... this gives you the benefit of emails from the board not landing in spam boxes and mitigating users who report you as spam.

Again Mandrill = mailchimp they are the same company just different purposes. Now if you need the fancy mailchimp interface for sending out newsletters then that is not what Mandrill is for.... they are meant to be used together in unison. Mandrill just adds the ability to use your own system for composing emails etc and sending out transactional emails.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for more information on integrating Mandrill, MailChimp and IPS bulk mail. I really just don't understand how they all play together. What I would like to do is send a monthly newsletter in MailChimp but use the email's email addresses stored in IPS Board that checked off let admins send mew emails etc. Is there a way to do this? I have signed up for Mandrill and integrated it with IPS and MailChimp (I think) but it doesn't make sense. Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Let me share my conversion experience

Our conversion for our Big Board is nearly getting done. Conversion includes 16.7 million posts , 1 + million attachments ( 450gb + ) , Photopost , Blogs , 1 + million threads , Huge amount of reputation 5 + million rows

It is a perfect conversion , expect Ame links

However we invested a lot and worked a lot for the conversion. Our conversion tests started nearly 9 month ago.

We choose a custom conversion method for vBulletin 3.8 to IPB 3.4.4

We used Conversion v3.3 for Board conversion. This allowed us to keep all id's for members , threads , attachments , users on IPB. When the base is completed we upgraded our Convertor to v3.4 and continue Blog , Photopost , Paid Memberships conversion.

Total downtime for the conversion is around 10 hour. Though total time for conversion completion is around 6 days. Conversion was an ongoing process on back scene while the boards were live.

IPB support was great , we had many questions and all questions were answered fast , we identified some bugs on script and the bugs are resolved pretty fast. They also didn't hesitate to to supply fixes to us , apply fixes them self , making tests on our test server.

Our board loading time is 3 times faster then vBulletin at the moment and conversion is still going on. Also there are some maintenance tasks running behind the scenes. We are also not done with the server optimisations yet. Once we are done , we expect even faster loading times.

I will like to pass my thanks to IPB Staff as i mentioned the support was Top Notch , amazing support

We choose a custom conversion method for vBulletin 3.8 to IPB 3.4.4

We used Conversion v3.3 for Board conversion. This allowed us to keep all id's for members , threads , attachments , users on IPB. When the base is completed we upgraded our Convertor to v3.4 and continue Blog , Photopost , Paid Memberships conversion.

Why did you use Conversion v3.3 for Board ??

Do you mean that v3.4 has disadvantages for VB3.8 forum conversion ?

Why did you use Conversion v3.3 for Board ??

Do you mean that v3.4 has disadvantages for VB3.8 forum conversion ?

Because 3.3 respected the id's that was used on vBulletin which allow you to keep same url structure on IPB as vBulletin.

• 8 months later...

Let me supply some feedback. It's been 7 months since we moved to IPB.

Because of terminology changes between IPB and vBulletin ( topics vs threads etc.. ) , we had a though job to educate our users.

On traffic wise , we are 20% ahead of our vBulletin days but we believe there are still more room to improve things.

On interaction wise , registrations increased however post activity on forum is still on 80-85% of vBulletin. Strangely users choose to interact less since we moved to IPB.

Overall we are still happy with the move we made.

Archived