Big Board Conversion

GreenLinks

Hello ,

We decided to move our Big Board to IPB and will like to keep this thread updated with the progress we are having so it may help other people.

The board has 14.488.611 posts , 555.931 members , 122.118 Gallery Images , 278.61GB attachments

We arre currently on vBulletin 3.8 + vBSEO + Searchlight + Photopost and other custom modifications.Load averages on servers are around 2~ within peak hours. Normal hours our average is lower ( 0.66 0.69 0.71 )

Unfortunately due to the size of our board current conventor IPB offers doesn't meet our requirements. However IPB offered amazing support and they are working together with us on customising and improving conventor script so it runs within an acceptable time frame. They also offered an amazing improvement within conventor script which will basically keep all existing vBulletin ID's in place. It will be a major improvement for us.

We now hired a Style Designer ( IPB Forum Skins ) for preparing our custom style. We also hired a developer to prepare some customizations that we will not want to loose.

Our most important development will focus on creating a modification that will allow us to use customized FURL configuration so we can match current hiearchical URL structure. This will hopefully will result no Forum or Thread URL loss on SE's. We can live up with loosing our Photopost URL's as their URL structure was never that great.

Our current time frame to move IPB is 30 days. We are planning to supply some of our Big board specific developments to IPB communities use so other big boards can take advantage of moving to IPB.

We again will like to thank IPB team within the great assistance they are showing .

I'd like to know if all these improvements will be applied to all vB migrations from this point onwards or will we need to pay extra for that? I've got at least two big boards that I'd like to migrate to IPB as well and naturally I'd like the conversion to go as smoothly and fast as possible.

I'd like to know if all these improvements will be applied to all vB migrations from this point onwards or will we need to pay extra for that? I've got at least two big boards that I'd like to migrate to IPB as well and naturally I'd like the conversion to go as smoothly and fast as possible.

We don't charge for our converter package. Alex has been working on packaging up the changes to include in the base converter release, although it will take a little time (he has made many changes to improve efficiency).

In the mean time, if you truly have a big board (I would say, above 40,000 members and above 500,000 posts), you may wish to email sales@invisionpower.com to request a copy of this package. Alex will work with you to get you a copy and let you know any special steps you may need to take (until the package is fully updated and ready for mass use). :)

We don't charge for our converter package. Alex has been working on packaging up the changes to include in the base converter release, although it will take a little time (he has made many changes to improve efficiency).

In the mean time, if you truly have a big board (I would say, above 40,000 members and above 500,000 posts), you may wish to email sales@invisionpower.com to request a copy of this package. Alex will work with you to get you a copy and let you know any special steps you may need to take (until the package is fully updated and ready for mass use). smile.png

Thanks - the first one I want to convert has about 800k posts and 15k users, but I'll wait until you guys package everything in the base converter. I'll want to wait for the requested additions of rep comments and a few other things that have been requested from other big board admins for inclusion so that we've got minimal data and feature loss possible when we move away from vB. Hopefully that'll be included in IPB soon.

Awesome timing! I will be converting as soon as this will be ready

Possibly:

I initially thought it was what we needed however it is not what we are looking for. We are using Mailchimp , not Mandril and IPB seems only to offer integration with Mandrill. All though we will investigate Mandrill pricing and evaluate it further.

We will still need to get a custom coded Mailchimp solution.

Thanks - the first one I want to convert has about 800k posts and 15k users, but I'll wait until you guys package everything in the base converter. I'll want to wait for the requested additions of rep comments and a few other things that have been requested from other big board admins for inclusion so that we've got minimal data and feature loss possible when we move away from vB. Hopefully that'll be included in IPB soon.

Just to be clear, I can't comment as to when or if reputation comment support will be included in IP.Board. It's a feature that has been requested, but we've not decided one way or the other on that specific one yet.

Just to be clear, I can't comment as to when or if reputation comment support will be included in IP.Board. It's a feature that has been requested, but we've not decided one way or the other on that specific one yet.

What's the rep_msg column for?

That's a pretty big one so even if you don't include it in the default IPB at least just importing the data would be better than nothing since it can then be used via unofficial mods.

I initially thought it was what we needed however it is not what we are looking for. We are using Mailchimp , not Mandril and IPB seems only to offer integration with Mandrill. All though we will investigate Mandrill pricing and evaluate it further.

We will still need to get a custom coded Mailchimp solution.

In terms of sending transactional emails (as in emails from the forum itself/Bulk Mail feature) Mandrill is the solution for Mailchimp (as Mailchimp does not appear to offer transactional emails outside of Mandrill).

I'm presuming when you are talking about Mailchimp integration you are talking about managing and setting up campaigns from within IP.Board itself as opposed to individual emails/sets of emails using the bulk email feature. It should be possible to code up a solution given their API.

There are alternatives to mailchimp that offer both transactional and campaign emails as part of one package, MailJet being the one I use. I haven't integrated the campaigns side of things into IP.Board myself but the transactional emails can use the SMTP settings that are already present in IP.Board without any need for additional coding on that side of things. They also have an API similar to Mailchimp for managing campaigns. The only reason I mention this is the added expense of two bills from Mailchimp (one for Mailchimp proper and one for Mandrill) compared to one from Mailjet that covers the same functionality.

In terms of sending transactional emails (as in emails from the forum itself/Bulk Mail feature) Mandrill is the solution for Mailchimp (as Mailchimp does not appear to offer transactional emails outside of Mandrill).

I'm presuming when you are talking about Mailchimp integration you are talking about managing and setting up campaigns from within IP.Board itself as opposed to individual emails/sets of emails using the bulk email feature. It should be possible to code up a solution given their API.

There are alternatives to mailchimp that offer both transactional and campaign emails as part of one package, MailJet being the one I use. I haven't integrated the campaigns side of things into IP.Board myself but the transactional emails can use the SMTP settings that are already present in IP.Board without any need for additional coding on that side of things. They also have an API similar to Mailchimp for managing campaigns. The only reason I mention this is the added expense of two bills from Mailchimp (one for Mailchimp proper and one for Mandrill) compared to one from Mailjet that covers the same functionality.

We are using Mailchimp pretty active and have no interest of moving to another solution. We have close to 750k total users subscribed to our lists. Our forum is one of the biggest and active boards out there but our shop is the heart of our business. We have separate lists for shop , forum and other sides of our network. Mailchimp has key importance as it is tied to every system we use.

Currently on our board users can subscribe to our lists on registration , can update their mailing lists through user control panel and they can also be controlled through Admin/Mod user edit.

So mailchimp is a must for us and we will get it ready prior putting our board live.

We however decided to directly convert our system to IPB 3.4 so we will possibly delay our full conversion in second week of January ( if IPB 3.4 will be released within Devember )

We are using Mailchimp pretty active and have no interest of moving to another solution. We have close to 750k total users subscribed to our lists. Our forum is one of the biggest and active boards out there but our shop is the heart of our business. We have separate lists for shop , forum and other sides of our network. Mailchimp has key importance as it is tied to every system we use.

Currently on our board users can subscribe to our lists on registration , can update their mailing lists through user control panel and they can also be controlled through Admin/Mod user edit.

So mailchimp is a must for us and we will get it ready prior putting our board live.

We however decided to directly convert our system to IPB 3.4 so we will possibly delay our full conversion in second week of January ( if IPB 3.4 will be released within Devember )

That is understandable. I just thought I would suggest a potential alternative but given how invested you are I can understand not changing solutions. However getting campaign integration with IP.Board is something that could be done relatively quickly with a custom hook/set of hooks or an app. Both have their pros and cons in this case. I personally think a hook may be more appropriate.

There is a list of developers available, experienced with IP.Board and hook/app development, who could potentially take on such a project located here that you may wish to contact about this sort of integration.

Thanks for the suggestions , we already agreed with a developer suggested by IPB Team. We are outlining all our customisation needs including Mailchimp to him. I can actually highly possible code these myself but i have limited time at the moment. Though as we stated earlier , we plan to share many of our customisations with community as IPB offered amazing support to us and we will like to offer best we can do :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived