Download: Duplicate Members Logger

PrinceOfAbyss

Is this what you saw Blackwolfie?

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/********/public_html/dev/admin/applications_addon/other/duplicates/modules_public/moderate/moderate.php on line 51

If yes, my suspicion must have been correct.

So, what I think you did:

• You saw the entry in Registration Attempts.
  • Then, in a new tab/window you opened ACP and deleted the member.
  • Then, went back to the previous tab/window, without refreshing the page, and tried to delete the entry

If that's the case, it's basically what IPS calls Unintended User Behavior, as the entry in Registration Attempts is deleted along with the member anyway. So, if you had refreshed the page, you wouldn't have seen the entry there at all.

However, I'll still throw a proper error message saying something like: The entry you tried to delete does not exist

Thanks for pointing this out.

Ah, and while trying to reproduce this, I found another bug as well.

If you delete a member which is referenced in the Registration Attempts of other existing members, a

Warning: array_merge() [function.array-merge]: Argument #1 is not an array in /home/********/public_html/dev/admin/sources/classes/skins/skinFunctions.php(568) : eval()'d code on line 52

is thrown, basically because it tries to

array_merge( IPSMember::load( $v ), IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto( $v ) )

where $v is the member_id of a member who doesn't exist...

It's surprising that a SO MUCH extensively tested app during its coding, still has some so silly and unpredicted hidden bugs in its code... tongue.png

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This software looks like it may be great for my needs and I've brought and installed it.

I have Duplicate registration action set to "Proceed with account registration"

I've then tried to register myself another account, but I get an error when registering:-

"Sorry, you don't have permission for that!

[#1001]

You are not allowed to visit this community." (The ACP shows my 'new' account as banned and validating!)

I thought the above setting would allow me to register but flag up in the Admin/Mod panels? Am I doing something wrong or am I not understanding what this software does?

Cheers

Bill

It's obviously a setting that produces this behavior. You can easily determine which settings you've made changes to by running this SQL query:

SELECT * FROM ibf_core_sys_conf_settings WHERE conf_value <> conf_default AND conf_value <> ''

Then, review the results and I'm sure you'll figure out which one is causing the error.

It's obviously a setting that produces this behavior. You can easily determine which settings you've made changes to by running this SQL query:

SELECT * FROM ibf_core_sys_conf_settings WHERE conf_value <> conf_default AND conf_value <> ''

Then, review the results and I'm sure you'll figure out which one is causing the error.

I am very confused. I've been playing with the registration for almost a week now and I've registered dozens of accounts using a spare email I have. Every account has correctly registered and set up. I installed this Mod and now I can't register using the exact email etc that I've been using all week. I uninstalled, but still can't register. It can't be coincidence. The SQL query above just gives me a list of settings, it doesn't help with the cause of the error I'm getting. Why could I register before installing this mod, but can't now?

I am very confused. I've been playing with the registration for almost a week now and I've registered dozens of accounts using a spare email I have. Every account has correctly registered and set up. I installed this Mod and now I can't register using the exact email etc that I've been using all week. I uninstalled, but still can't register. It can't be coincidence. The SQL query above just gives me a list of settings, it doesn't help with the cause of the error I'm getting. Why could I register before installing this mod, but can't now?

Very sorry - I searched for this error in here and found that I had been marked as a spammer and that was why I couldn't register. Now I've got that sorted, it looks like this software will be a great asset for our forum!!

This is kind of ridiculous. What exactly are you implying my app has done to your community? Blocked it? Totally messed up with your settings? I even spared two minutes to write my previous post, offering some advice to help you figure out which setting you've set, brought up this unexpected result...

And why don't you try to register a new account with another email address? Maybe you accidentally blocked that email address during your last week's experimentation... But anyway, I won't spare another five-ten minutes trying to think of other possible causes to your problem.

You thought my app was responsible, you uninstalled it. Now what should I do, knowing that this problem you face is totally irrelevant to my app?

This is kind of ridiculous. What exactly are you implying my app has done to your community? Blocked it? Totally messed up with your settings? I even spared two minutes to write my previous post, offering some advice to help you figure out which setting you've set, brought up this unexpected result...

And why don't you try to register a new account with another email address? Maybe you accidentally blocked that email address during your last week's experimentation... But anyway, I won't spare another five-ten minutes trying to think of other possible causes to your problem.

You thought my app was responsible, you uninstalled it. Now what should I do, knowing that this problem you face is totally irrelevant to my app?

Thats a little unkind given that I have already admitted my mistake and apologised above!!

I AM grateful for your help and if your software does what it says it does and I fully expect it to do so, then it will make massive improvements to our forum. We ask new members to go to silly lengths to join us because we are so paranoid about banned members rejoining. Using this we hope to relax our sign up proceedure.

I know I was wrong and I am big enough to apologise :)

I'm paranoid about counterfeiting spammers, returning banned members etc, as well. That's exactly why I created these two apps I have in Marketplace. smile.png

And really you will love this. Not objectively as I'm its author... But honestly!!! In my community even v2.0.0, which didn't have all these bells and whistles, totally changed my members' bad habits... Now I'm left with this even greater v3.0.0 and NO duplicate registrations... tongue.png It scared the hell out of them... biggrin.png I also have this forum category where I used to post a new topic each time two or more duplicate accounts were found and banned... And newbies read it... So they think twice before creating another account... tongue.png

Anyway, I also want to apologize for post #83 but I started writing it with your previous post in mind, and your implications... If I had read your newer one, I wouldn't have written it at all of course. No hard feelings from me. smile.png

I'm loving version 3. I've enabled prevent new registrations and I've basically got nothing to do now. What I have done is changed the language file so that the moderation centre alert rather than saying "Fraud Registrations" now says "Attempted Registrations (Existing Account)". My other admin and moderators got all excited when they first saw a Fraud Registration alert thinking we were being hacked. When I get these alerts I just send off a polite email suggesting that they use their existing account and if they have lost their password to do a lost password recovery.

3DKiwi

Alright, v3.0.2 is ready.

I'll review all changes in the code once more tonight to make sure they are OK, and tomorrow I'll update the file in MP.

Caution: It is highly recommended to update to 3.0.2 if you have 3.0.0 or 3.0.1. One may deliberately change the content of their GUID in the flash cookie to inject malicious code in the MySQL DB. Fortunately I realized it soon enough!

Where is 3.0.2?

Cannot see it in the download section.

Hello,

It says "Excluding a member may result in excluding the whole group depending on the way the group was created."

Now i excluded member and wife using same PC of group XYZ. Then will it stop detecting duplicated users under group XYZ because if that's the case then can we change it so that it detects all duplicate users under group XYZ but only keeps wife and husband PC excluded?

Thanks

If Member and Wife (two different accounts) have logged in from the same Machine A, and then Member also logged in from another Machine B (which is normally used by Aunt) and Wife from a third Machine C (which is normally used by Uncle), then Member, Wife, Uncle and Aunt define a group with used Machines A, B and C.

Right now that's they way it works. Not that it can't define groups simply comparing machines (without recursively matching members as well). I could add a setting in a later version to be able to choose.

Suggestion: wouldn't it be a good idea to have a fallback detection-system (based on cookies only?). If a visitor does not have flash installed the cookie-based method could be used to enhance the detection system?

I know most people have flash installed but there actually are people without it...

Thinking about buying this app I have one question before deciding: I would need the app to be able to post a new topic instead of sending pm's. That's not supported right now, right?

Suggestion: wouldn't it be a good idea to have a fallback detection-system (based on cookies only?). If a visitor does not have flash installed the cookie-based method could be used to enhance the detection system?

I know most people have flash installed but there actually are people without it...

Thinking about buying this app I have one question before deciding: I would need the app to be able to post a new topic instead of sending pm's. That's not supported right now, right?

I'm researching another approach for 3.1.0. Stay tuned... wink.png

This would be nice to have. It should create topic with:

1. Machine ID

2. Username Clickable

3. IP's of 2 user. <- Remember it will be a public topic... What are you suggesting?

4. Date.

This won't be included in 3.0.2 which is already behind schedule, and unfortunately will take some more time. But may be included in a 3.0.3 or 3.0.4.

Hi PrinceOfAbyss,

I've had the application running successfully for a week or so now. We have over 4000 unique machines according to the stats.

However, we have yet to find any duplicates.... One member who has a habit of getting banned and then coming back just outed himself, and I looked at his Duplicate Member Logger tab in the profile, and it says his Current Unique Machines is none....

Is this because the guy has his flash disabled? Or should I do some debugging to figure out why nothing is ever getting tripped ( and if so what do you suggest)

One of our mods has lots of machine ids so should I assume everything is working?

a6048d0a-1277-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
ee99fabe-1277-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
24b94352-1278-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
04032eb0-1279-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
39f6d26a-1279-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
698711de-1279-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
72c533de-1279-11e2-82bd-00262d013815
etc...

Of course the app is working since you get machine IDs. Also, if the charts in Overview are visible and with data in them, it's still a proof it's working.

As for the returning banned member not having any machine IDs, he may have grasped that he can't evade your measures, and moved on... Or, he may have flash disabled like you said (impractical for him, but still possible). I can't really tell anything about him, but assumptions.

I'm researching another approach for 3.1.0. Stay tuned... wink.png

This won't be included in 3.0.2 which is already behind schedule, and unfortunately will take some more time. But may be included in a 3.0.3 or 3.0.4.

Well not public if that section is only visible to administrators... I normally like to keep track of user / email ID / IP's of members which I have deleted or banned. Helps me in future.

With auto topic it helps to figure out easily.. using search function.

Archived