Download: Duplicate Members Logger

PrinceOfAbyss

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thinking to display them it in a tooltip similar to the rest tooltips used in the page (notification date, members that correspond to each machine, etc), since I guess you don't plan to store an essay instead of a comment! :P

It's storage may be in an AJAXed popup similar to when you click the Ban member in Members section.

Any way to convince you that a text field below the name entry would be much more efficient?

I already have 3 pages of duplicates to manage in less than a week. I can't imagine having to hover over dozens of names to try to figure out if I've contacted them, heard back from them, what their story is, etc.

The comments icon will appear only for those where actually a comment exists ;) Similar to the notification icon on its left. See for example that the notification icon isn't there for the admin? That's because the notification, as sent by the admin, wasn't sent to himself.

Anyway, I really don't want to clutter more the already cluttered layout of the page... There is too much info in a single page, and displaying text fields etc will add to that...

I so much "envy" you guys having so many duplicates...

I've put so many features in this 3.0.0+ version, and in my community, I can't use any of them...

Obviously 2.0.0 has scared the hell out of my sneaky members who decided to stay low and stop registering duplicate accounts. :P At least, I'm enjoying it through you when you report it gets your job done.

Anyway, this comment feature is almost there... ;)

Alright, v3.0.2 is ready.

I'll review all changes in the code once more tonight to make sure they are OK, and tomorrow I'll update the file in MP.

Caution: It is highly recommended to update to 3.0.2 if you have 3.0.0 or 3.0.1. One may deliberately change the content of their GUID in the flash cookie to inject malicious code in the MySQL DB. Fortunately I realized it soon enough!

Is there any way to stay on the same page after notifying, banning, deleting, etc?

It would be much easier to take care of daily business.

Thank you, again, for a GREAT app!

Per user for me.

Re lots of duplicates. You'll get this starting out with the mod. Over time it should drop away to a couple per week. Should hardly be any now for me as I've enabled the "Prevent registration" option.

Nigel

You'd think, but it seems they'll try anything to register new accounts. I think some are using mobile devices and other PCs, after failing 3 or 4 times.

Blackwolfe - There's nothing preventing people from opening new accounts from mobile devices and other computers. This mod only works when they sign up from the same computer. What it does it does very well.

What I would do in your case since you're getting so many is update your terms and conditions and say people can't have multiple accounts. Then in the mod settings change it to prevent registrations when an account is detected. Either that or delete every new account that's created where the mod has detected an existing account on the same computer.

Could be your registration settings need changing? i.e. require email validation, spam monitoring service, stopforumspam mod, question and answer challenge, Recaptcha, email ban filters to ban spam domains.

Another thing you can do is to prune inactive members. I delete all members who haven't visited my site in the last 12 months.

3DKiwi

Blackwolfe - There's nothing preventing people from opening new accounts from mobile devices and other computers. This mod only works when they sign up from the same computer. What it does it does very well.

I totally agree!

What I would do in your case since you're getting so many is update your terms and conditions and say people can't have multiple accounts. Then in the mod settings change it to prevent registrations when an account is detected. Either that or delete every new account that's created where the mod has detected an existing account on the same computer.

Been that way since 2009.

Could be your registration settings need changing? i.e. require email validation, spam monitoring service, stopforumspam mod, question and answer challenge, Recaptcha, email ban filters to ban spam domains.

All of the above have been implemented.

Another thing you can do is to prune inactive members. I delete all members who haven't visited my site in the last 12 months.

3DKiwi

We get in the neighborhood of 3 million page views per month from 45,000 unique visitors. It's going to happen. I'm just hoping to make management take up less of my day.

smile.png

I had a duplicate account with two accounts, so I deleted one. It was validating, the other validated.

When I went back to 'Delete Permanently' the report in the Mod ACP, it threw a for/each error.

I can try to reproduce it later, but I'm at the shop working on a deadline.

Sorry about the pagination trouble. With all the pages I have/am destined to have, I thought it would be a nice feature for those with large boards.

Archived