Calendar Event API

Aiwa

To better integrate 3rd Party add-ons with the calendar, it would be extremly helpful to have an API similar to IP.Board's 'classPost' to facilitate calendar event creation and modification.

Currently, the only method I see to add an event to the calendar is to manually add the event to the events table and call for a calendar cache rebuild. The problem with doing that, is your app isn't 'upgrade proof' for the calendar and will continue to depend on no changes to the calendar DB fields.

If an API was present, internal functions could handle any DB changes that may be required in future upgrades and help keep 3rd party add-ons from going FUBAR with a calendar update...

I'm currently writing my own API for it... If you want it when I'm done, I will gladly hand it over...

Would anyone be interested in this? Would IPS Staff be interested in including this in a subsequent Calendar release?

It's a new class file which is essentially the /calendar/modules_public/calendar/post.php ripped apart and reassembled in a similar fashion to classPost...

:) It would allow you to do that...

It's 'done' in the sense that it works, but it's not quite finished... It still needs some love in terms of silent error handling... Right now, when it throws an error, it stops script execution... (Thanks MT for pointing that out..)

• 5 months later...

It's done and works... It's not ready to be a full on API as it doesn't fail gracefully... Haven't had the time to throw in better error handling after MT pointed it out to me...

I've passed the raw API over to IPS. Can't comment on whether or not they are going to include it or not but it would be a valuable addition...

Once I'm able to throw in some proper error handling I may consider putting it on the MP until one comes with an official calendar release.

• 1 month later...

Archived