Use Facebook Photo even if not logged in via Facebook Connect

KT Walrus

I believe that my Facebook photo is available to a website even if I haven't gone through the process of using Facebook Connect on the website. At least, I seem to see my Facebook photo all over the web as I browse.

I'd like to see an option to "Import Profile Photo from Facebook" when setting my profile photo. This would be different than the option to link to the Facebook photo if logged in via Facebook Connect.

Currently, there is an "Import from URL" option. I suggest an "Import from Facebook" and "Import from Twitter" and even "Import from Gravatar" options. This would copy the photo into IPB rather than link to it. A preview of the various photos would show and, maybe, both "Import" or "Link" choices would be available (if that is doable).

This feature is already implemented into IP.Board 3.3. I use it on site and a few others. I just chose to use my photoshopped avatar for IPS. :D

Are you sure? I haven't upgraded to 3.3.4 yet, but I haven't found it in the version I am running.

Maybe you understood my suggestion incorrectly...

http://snip.so/UT1s

This isn't what I am requesting. This is for when you use Facebook Connect.

I'm wanting the option of "importing" photos from Facebook, Twitter, Gravatar without using Facebook Connect. Many people don't want to give a forum permission to access their Facebook account just to copy the profile photo from there.

Also, I'd like the photos to be "imported" so that my pages don't have links to other site images. I also posted feedback to have image links in posts "cached" in the forum so those pages don't reference images hosted on other sites. I'd prefer that my server serves all images so that the end user has a consistent page load experience (not to mention that my content can be accelerated like using SPDY or making sure all images can be locally cached).

"copying" a profile photo FROM facebook is technically fetching data from your accounts.

Facebook considers your photo and your name as public and does not require your permission to access. Anyway, I think it is clear that what I am requesting is different from what you pointed out is already a feature of IPB.

This is just my feedback. IPS can pick and choose what features they want to implement in the next release. I'm just hoping some of my feedback is addressed by new features.

Archived