Private Chat

IveLeft...

• 6 months later...

Found this topic while I was preparing an explanation about the chat room. Would love others inputs on the various permutations of private and public chats.

1. 8 people have entered the chat room. 6 of the people have coupled off and gone into private chat. Can those 6 people simultaneously chat with the 2 public people?

2. I don't have the ability to have 8 people log in at the same time. Will the sidebar show Chatroom + 3 other private chats?

Currently, there are two options.

1. Chat in the open.

2. Chat 1-on-1 with someone.

There is no option where multiple people can participate in a private group chat. To achieve that, you would have to set it so that only those people can go into the chat and then use the open chat for talking.

Currently, there are two options.

1. Chat in the open.

2. Chat 1-on-1 with someone.

There is no option where multiple people can participate in a private group chat. To achieve that, you would have to set it so that only those people can go into the chat and then use the open chat for talking.

Yeah, that much I get. But my question is really focused on what you and others see in the situation I described, with 8 people in the chat room, and 6 couple off in private chats.

Who sees what? Okay, I think I get it ... Andrej has helped me understand this.

1. The separate 'Chats' sidebar only appears if you have started a private chat.

2. If other people have gone into private chat but you have not, you don't see that.

3. Even if you have gone into private chat, you only see two listings in the 'Chats' sidebar: 1. chatroom and 2. your own personal chat

4. If you have started a private chat, in effect, you still have a foot in the regular chatroom because in that 'Chats' sidebar, you can see a (#) next to 'chatroom' showing the number of unread messages

and 5. ... still not clear .. can I toggle between the private chat and the regular chatroom? haven't tried that yet ...

and 5. ... still not clear .. can I toggle between the private chat and the regular chatroom? haven't tried that yet ...

When in the chat, you can always view the main chat room (what everyone sees). When you have one or more private chats going on, you can see those, but no one else can (except who ever is chatting with you can see their chat with you).

It's just like using AIM or IRC or other chat services. In a chatroom open to all, everyone sees what everyone else says. But they can't see who you are chatting to 1-on-1. You can't see who others are chatting to 1-on-1. You can only see your private chats with others. If you're talking to someone name Joe Smith and they are talking to 5 other people (privately), you only see them in the main chat and in your 1-on-1 chat with them. You can't see that they are chatting with 5 other people. Same with the IPS chat. You only see what is relevant to you.

well, I just now realized this is a feedback topic.

here is my feedback:

1. please add more documentation about the chat application so stupid guys like me will know about all these "'hidden" features

2. please consider adding a @user feature so that in the string of consciousness kind of chat messages, it is clear who you are addressing in a chat. Right now, you have to type @user name in the chat message. It would be great if you could just click on the user's name in the right sidebar and then select a third drop down that would add @Andrej to the message at whatever point you are in typing your message [Andrej has already said that suggestion has been submitted but I wanted to add my voice to the request]

• 2 weeks later...

Its a shame you cant have multiple private chat rooms though - like 5 in a chat - ideal for mods and admins when a problem is happening....

Yeah, that is a great suggestion. Seems like there is some kind of structural barrier to having multiple multi-person chat rooms.

Archived