Option for image quality

JPEG and PNG quality is hardcoded. It must be an option in ACP i think. Also, default quality is too low.

Also, I think here is must be an option "Don't change quality if source's quality is lower than setting".

Sorry for my English, I hope you are understand what i mean :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

If they'd load that class via the IPSLib::loadLibrary() method everywhere, then a library hook could be made which would override the init() function and define new $quality values, but there's apparently only one place in the entire codebase I can find where they do it that way, in /admin/applications_addon/ips/downloads/sources/classes/moderate.php, line 766. You may want to submit that as a bug report. If the class can be loaded via the IPSLib::loadLibrary() method, then it always should be.

• 5 months later...

I actually changed the hardcoded value myself a long time ago, I would support this as a setting.

75 is kinda low, which is the current default. 85 is what I usually use for most regular images, sometimes a little higher depending on the focus.

(I have forums/galleries that are for sharing drawings and sketches, for example, where quality is more important. I usually keep a quality setting of 90 here. Anything above 90 causes a more significant jump in file size with diminishing returns on quality)

I also usually use PNG avatars on here as well, to prevent IPB from degrading the quality of them too much :P ehehe

Very interesting thread ! I have 27.000 images on my forum, and I would like to know if the setting 75 is related to ANY uploaded image or only scaled for thumb.

Thanks

I have sad news for you. This setting is used by default for all uploaded images, not only thumbnails.

thanks for the information :sad:

this is a image comparison, please open the image in a new tab of your browser

http://tinypic.com/r/2mmtmkp/5

report is as follow

Picture Compare
Produced: 13/08/2013 16:23:56

Left file: C:UsersJAMPDesktoppost-4-0-67430100-1376403199.jpg  (note: the uploaded at left side )
Right file: C:UsersJAMPDesktop_DSC5380.jpg  ( note: the original at the right side )
208970 same pixel(s)  
485710 unimportant difference pixel(s)  
6760 important difference pixel(s)

it means that

701440 are the pixel : image dimension is 1.024 x 685

only 208.970 are the same

kind regards

gianpiero

I have sad news for you. This setting is used by default for all uploaded images, not only thumbnails.

:smile: this is not true ,fortunately

in the example in my previous post the image is scaled, due to my settings into

1. System Settings >
  2. Forums >
  3. Topics, Posts and Polls

where the images ( attachments show as images) are limited to 1000 px

When I load a 900 px images, the uploaded image is the same of original :smile:

Picture Compare
Produced: 13/08/2013 17:43:24

Left file: C:UsersJAMPDesktopNuova cartella_DSC5380_900.jpg
Right file: C:UsersJAMPDesktopNuova cartellapost-4-0-50608700-1376408478.jpg
541800 same pixel(s)

• 6 months later...

I really can't understand why this simple but important thing still not implemented. Can I hope that it will appear in the near future? I would like to get any comment from the developers on this issue.

Archived