Upgrade request -- no answer for days

Helmet2Helmet

I put it an upgrade request on September 1, and one of the support staff members said it will be transferred to the queue. I understand you guys are flooded with requests after a holiday, but I need my upgrade done ASAP as I am dealing with a site issue that must be resolved by Monday, and was hoping to get the upgrade done first.

I realize support requests are closed over the weekend, that is why I was counting on it being handled today.

Can anyone please give me an update as to where I stand in the queue and if I have any chance of being upgraded in the next few hours? I apologize if I'm an annoyance, just stressed over this potential issue.

Thank you in advance for any help.

I put it an upgrade request on September 1, and one of the support staff members said it will be transferred to the queue. I understand you guys are flooded with requests after a holiday, but I need my upgrade done ASAP as I am dealing with a site issue that must be resolved by Monday, and was hoping to get the upgrade done first.

I realize support requests are closed over the weekend, that is why I was counting on it being handled today.

Can anyone please give me an update as to where I stand in the queue and if I have any chance of being upgraded in the next few hours? I apologize if I'm an annoyance, just stressed over this potential issue.

If it hasn't already been addressed, I'd be willing to handle it for you. Same disclaimer (ie, can't hold me responsible for anything going wrong) and such. Just give it another 2 hours first, because I think that's the close of business for the day for them.

Did you mark your ticket as critical?

Everyone wanting an upgrade will consider their request to be 'critical' or important enough to be done "immediately or a.s.a.p." so that's not a good thing to suggest. I can't really think of any standard reason why someone would even need to mark a ticket as being critical when wanting an upgrade. If they tried to do the upgrade themselves and it messed up, that would be a critical support ticket not an upgrade ticket.

If it hasn't already been addressed, I'd be willing to handle it for you. Same disclaimer (ie, can't hold me responsible for anything going wrong) and such. Just give it another 2 hours first, because I think that's the close of business for the day for them.

I appreciate that and will probably take you up on it. I would've liked to hear from a member of the support team, though. Never has it taken this long to get a simple response back, backed up queue or not.

I appreciate that and will probably take you up on it. I would've liked to hear from a member of the support team, though. Never has it taken this long to get a simple response back, backed up queue or not.

IPS support is usually top notch, so I think they can make a mistake once in awhile without getting trashed on for it.

If you take me up on it, what I'll do is have you add an email address as an alternate contact for the apps you want upgraded for the site. It's the easiest way I know of to confirm what I can upgrade without worry of violating the license agreement.

IPS support is usually top notch, so I think they can make a mistake once in awhile without getting trashed on for it.

If you take me up on it, what I'll do is have you add an email address as an alternate contact for the apps you want upgraded for the site. It's the easiest way I know of to confirm what I can upgrade without worry of violating the license agreement.

My intent was not to trash them at all. I've stuck with IPS for years because they have the best support around and the best product available. I'm just frustrated after days of waiting, though I definitely understand the human element behind it.

I will let you know if I'll have you do it, though all I'm doing is upgrading the board. I don't have any additional IPB apps or add-ons. BTW, I am upgrading from 3.1.4, will that make it more difficult for you? If not, how long do you think it will take for you to complete the upgrade process?

My intent was not to trash them at all. I've stuck with IPS for years because they have the best support around and the best product available. I'm just frustrated after days of waiting, though I definitely understand the human element behind it.

Oh no no no, I wasn't trying to imply you were putting them down. I was saying that more to say that I think they've earned room to make a mistake here and there (ie, delayed response) and not have it held against them. Wasn't meaning that I thought you were trying to trash them at all. Sorry for the confusion on that. Just I think IPS is top notch when it comes to trying to put the customer first.

I will let you know if I'll have you do it, though all I'm doing is upgrading the board. I don't have any additional IPB apps or add-ons. BTW, I am upgrading from 3.1.4, will that make it more difficult for you? If not, how long do you think it will take for you to complete the upgrade process

I handle my own upgrades if that tells you anything. That and I've done upgrades for a few people. From what I recall, going from 3.1 to 3.2, one thing asked is if you want to keep existing profile pictures that users have uploaded, or to convert avatars to pictures. Also a change in the posts table that could cause an issue depending on the size of your community (by problem I mean it could time out during the upgrade, but there are ways to work past that, so no worries). If they haven't gotten to you another hour from now, send me a PM and we can make arrangements there. Oh and forgot to mention, no charge on it. :)

Hello, to clarify here, we are a little backed up in upgrades, however there has been 9 replies to your ticket since you started it, as it was not started as just for an upgrade...

However, you should come up in the que today sometime as well to complete your ticket.

Thank you again

Hello, to clarify here, we are a little backed up in upgrades, however there has been 9 replies to your ticket since you started it, as it was not started as just for an upgrade...

However, you should come up in the que today sometime as well to complete your ticket.

Thank you again

Thank you for the response, Rhett. I understand you guys are backed up, but do you think you will be able to upgrade me by the the time support closes at 6pm? That is 47 minutes from now. Please advise.

Thank you for the response, Rhett. I understand you guys are backed up, but do you think you will be able to upgrade me by the the time support closes at 6pm? That is 47 minutes from now. Please advise.

Just because it goes outside of the 'business hours' doesn't mean they stop doing tickets. Someone might continue past the time to get some more tickets knocked out and such. Since Rhett said it should get done today, then it'll likely get done today, even if it's past the business hours. Don't worry, if it doesn't happen, I'll still help you out with it. So relax, one way or another, your site will get upgraded before Monday (barring any unusual situations of course).

Just because it goes outside of the 'business hours' doesn't mean they stop doing tickets. Someone might continue past the time to get some more tickets knocked out and such. Since Rhett said it should get done today, then it'll likely get done today, even if it's past the business hours. Don't worry, if it doesn't happen, I'll still help you out with it. So relax, one way or another, your site will get upgraded before Monday (barring any unusual situations of course).

I really, really do appreciate your willingness to assist me, Wolfie, and your continued kindness. I will definitely send you a PM if it looks like IPS support won't be able to get to me by Monday. Thank you again :)

If it helps, most of us have been doing tickets from 8am, well into the midnight hours... so while we do in fact have business hours, we more often than not, we work around the clock. ;)

I will make sure before I get done for the day, that your site is upgraded! :smile:

I really, really do appreciate your willingness to assist me, Wolfie, and your continued kindness. I will definitely send you a PM if it looks like IPS support won't be able to get to me by Monday. Thank you again :smile:

Since Rhett said it should (not a guaranteed 'will') get done tonight, give it until 9pm just to give some extra time for them to get to it (doubt it will take that long if it gets done tonight but who knows, someone might be working hours based in another time zone).

Edit: Okay give it until midnight. :) But since he said he'll make sure it's done, it'll most likely be done. Rhett's good for his word.

If it helps, most of us have been doing tickets from 8am, well into the midnight hours... so while we do in fact have business hours, we more often than not, we work around the clock. ;)

I will make sure before get done for the day that your site is upgraded! :smile:

You're awesome, Rhett. Thank you so much.

Since Rhett said it should (not a guaranteed 'will') get done tonight, give it until 9pm just to give some extra time for them to get to it (doubt it will take that long if it gets done tonight but who knows, someone might be working hours based in another time zone).

Looks as if it's all but guaranteed, thankfully. How long do you think the process will take? Hoping for as little downtime as possible.

Looks as if it's all but guaranteed, thankfully. How long do you think the process will take? Hoping for as little downtime as possible.

It depends on the size of your board. Since you don't have any applications and are just upgrading IPB it'll probably be quicker than most. Make sure you've provided them with all the access credentials that they'll need to perform the upgrade though..

It depends on the size of your board. Since you don't have any applications and are just upgrading IPB it'll probably be quicker than most. Make sure you've provided them with all the access credentials that they'll need to perform the upgrade though..

I believe I have a smaller board than some (1789 members and 754,734 posts, database size is about 860 mb's if that's taken into consideration). Last year, when I upgraded, it took only about 45 minutes and went very smoothly. Hoping for the same result this time around.

I believe I have a smaller board than some (1789 members and 754,734 posts, database size is about 860 mb's if that's taken into consideration). Last year, when I upgraded, it took only about 45 minutes and went very smoothly. Hoping for the same result this time around.

I would expect about the same time. Again, make sure you've given them everything they need. You don't want your next reply to be "Sorry, but the FTP information you gave me does not work". :P

750k posts? Okay, if you have SSH access to your hosting account, I recommend you supply those details in your ticket. That way during the upgrade, the tech will have the option to perform database queries there instead of through the browser. Not only is it more reliable, but can speed up the upgrade process by a few minutes.

Also, make sure you've indicated which you want to do (if it hasn't already been asked). Keep profile pictures or convert avatars to profile pictures. I forget which the default is, but if you don't mention which, the tech will likely use the default option.

Other than that, once the actual upgrade is in progress (files uploaded already), I'd say under 15 minutes for the upgrade, and that's an inflated estimate. Should really be under 10 minutes. Including time to upload the files, it depends on how fast your host is for accepting files via ftp.

I would expect about the same time. Again, make sure you've given them everything they need. You don't want your next reply to be "Sorry, but the FTP information you gave me does not work". :tongue:

Indeed. Look at the ticket and the details you've provided. Then use those exact same details to try to access your site (don't let anything be auto-filled for you). If it doesn't work for you, it sure as heck won't work for them.

750k posts? Okay, if you have SSH access to your hosting account, I recommend you supply those details in your ticket. That way during the upgrade, the tech will have the option to perform database queries there instead of through the browser. Not only is it more reliable, but can speed up the upgrade process by a few minutes.

Also, make sure you've indicated which you want to do (if it hasn't already been asked). Keep profile pictures or convert avatars to profile pictures. I forget which the default is, but if you don't mention which, the tech will likely use the default option.

Other than that, once the actual upgrade is in progress (files uploaded already), I'd say under 15 minutes for the upgrade, and that's an inflated estimate. Should really be under 10 minutes. Including time to upload the files, it depends on how fast your host is for accepting files via ftp.

Indeed. Look at the ticket and the details you've provided. Then use those exact same details to try to access your site (don't let anything be auto-filled for you). If it doesn't work for you, it sure as heck won't work for them.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have SSH access. I will though be sure to tell them to keep profile pictures as is, which seems like it'd be the default option. My FTP and ACP details for the tech are correct and haven't changed from last time.

Make sure you tell them whether you want users in the Banned group to be flagged as banned as well as that is another option you are presented with during the upgrade...just not worded exactly like that. I don't remember how it's worded.

Unfortunately, I don't believe I have SSH access. I will though be sure to tell them to keep profile pictures as is, which seems like it'd be the default option. My FTP and ACP details for the tech are correct and haven't changed from last time.

If it hasn't already been covered in the ticket, let them know that you have over 750k posts and don't have SSH access. I'm sure Rhett will see it here, but in case someone else works the ticket, it will let them know that there might be a timeout during the upgrade. Giving a heads up lets the tech know that you're aware the upgrade might take a few extra minutes.

:smile:

Make sure you tell them whether you want users in the Banned group to be flagged as banned as well as that is another option you are presented with during the upgrade...just not worded exactly like that. I don't remember how it's worded.

I don't remember that with mine. (Only done one or two upgrades to 3.3) Either it prompted me and I forgot, or might only ask under certain circumstances. Good catch though, better to provide information and have it not needed, rather than the other way around.

Archived