The editor!

HBz

I imagine this has been raised many times already, but I think it needs to be raised again: the posting interface is highly flawed. To point:

1. Start typing
2. Switch to italics and type any word.
3. In the middle of the word, stop, without entering any spaces, and hit 'Backspace.'

The cursor jumps back to a point before the italics started and makes the deletion there.

This behavior is just a bug, and it has been going on for a very, very long time. It is one of many which plague the editor.

In particular, all sorts of trouble is caused by pasting anything, because it is pasted as rich text. I notice that much richer HTML formatting can be pasted in here than will be able to be displayed.

Can this be fixed, please? It is pretty troubling that these issues persist.

Hello.

FYI that's not an IPB error, it's actually an error with ckeditor and it only happens in chrome. Additionally, I believe ckeditor has fixed the issue and I think it's reasonable to assume that the fix will be applied in IPB 3.4.

This behavior is just a bug, and it has been going on for a very, very long time. It is one of many which plague the editor.

In particular, all sorts of trouble is caused by pasting anything, because it is pasted as rich text. I notice that much richer HTML formatting can be pasted in here than will be able to be displayed.

Can this be fixed, please? It is pretty troubling that these issues persist.

Have you tried checking the bug tracker to see if it's been reported already and, if it hasn't, reporting it yourself so that it can get looked into? That's the best place to report bugs because the developers go through each and every bug report to determine if it's a valid bug (reproducing it), needing more information to investigate with, the priority of the bug, etc. Doing it in a topic doesn't really help much.

Yes this annoys me every time, I sometimes forget to look and end up with a whole paragraph stuffed up.

You don't know how to type while looking at the screen? :blink:

Have you tried checking the bug tracker to see if it's been reported already and, if it hasn't, reporting it yourself so that it can get looked into? That's the best place to report bugs because the developers go through each and every bug report

I cant search the new tracker - I get no joy like I did with the old, so I gave up.

Too bad if I report stuff twice, not like I can find my reports with the new one anyway.

You don't know how to type while looking at the screen? :blink:

It is not that I cant look at the screen while I am typing, most of the time I am doing other stuff while replying, like researching on my second/third monitor :cry:

I cant search the new tracker - I get no joy like I did with the old, so I gave up.

Too bad if I report stuff twice, not like I can find my reports with the new one anyway.

I'm able to search it just fine. What problems are you getting when you try?

It is not that I cant look at the screen while I am typing, most of the time I am doing other stuff while replying, like researching on my second/third monitor :cry:

I'm able to type while not 'watching' the screen or the keyboard. In fact, I've amazed people by my ability to do it (looking at them and talking to them, while typing up something on the computer, and have no mistakes in what I typed). I just prefer to be fully aware of anything happening on the screen, so that if something unexpected happens, like an entire paragraph suddenly disappearing, I see it right away.

I'm able to search it just fine. What problems are you getting when you try?

It is harder to find stuff, mainly what I am talking about is in the old tracker, you have a section at the bottom that had all your reports, the new one does not and I cant be stuffed looking to see if it is available in the new one.

I am not a fan of the new tracker period - nothing can help change my mind.

I'm able to type while not 'watching' the screen or the keyboard. In fact, I've amazed people by my ability to do it (looking at them and talking to them, while typing up something on the computer, and have no mistakes in what I typed). I just prefer to be fully aware of anything happening on the screen, so that if something unexpected happens, like an entire paragraph suddenly disappearing, I see it right away.

First, do you want a medal or something? (and for god's sake, don't take that the wrong way) :thumbsup:

Secondly, I prefer to be able to do what I am doing without having to remember that there is this stupid bug in the editor and I have to keep my eye on it, that has yet to be fixed.

Extreame, just ignore him.

This issue is already in the tracker.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/bugs.html/_/ip-board/backspace-key-glitch-in-editor-when-using-formatting-r37559

Here's the ckeditor bug.

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15256

So. It should be fixed for 3.4. :)

EDIT: Or not...I would just wait for 3.4. IPS will put 3.4 on this site before they release it. You can test it here and if you still have problems then just bump the bug report.

yeah, it is a ckeditor issue -- and not really one for the IPB developers to tackle, short of reassessing ckeditor's placement in IPB itself. That's a philosophical discussion which I think could have some merit.

I mean--if I remember, IPB *used* to have some kind of wysiwig functionality, before ckeditor, and it did not cause problems like this. Although perhaps I remember incorrectly. At the least it had an interface with buttons that inserted BBcode manually -- turning the light switch off also turns all the buttons off.

I think there needs to be come changes in adapting ckeditor for invision board, though. A big one is this:

Invision already converts pasted URLs into hypertext on post submission. So, there is no need for ckeditor to paste plain text URLs into the edit box as hypertext. I can't be the only one who starts typing ... because it's faster that way, and having to jump through hoops to get the url back into plain text is highly unnecessary. I'll look into the bug reporting section if I get a chance...

....in the meantime though, it's just been good to know that I am not the only one flabbergasted by these issues! :)

yeah, it is a ckeditor issue -- and not really one for the IPB developers to tackle, short of reassessing ckeditor's placement in IPB itself. That's a philosophical discussion which I think could have some merit.

I mean--if I remember, IPB *used* to have some kind of wysiwig functionality, before ckeditor, and it did not cause problems like this. Although perhaps I remember incorrectly. At the least it had an interface with buttons that inserted BBcode manually -- turning the light switch off also turns all the buttons off.

I think there needs to be come changes in adapting ckeditor for invision board, though. A big one is this:

Invision already converts pasted URLs into hypertext on post submission. So, there is no need for ckeditor to paste plain text URLs into the edit box as hypertext. I can't be the only one who starts typing ... because it's faster that way, and having to jump through hoops to get the url back into plain text is highly unnecessary. I'll look into the bug reporting section if I get a chance...

....in the meantime though, it's just been good to know that I am not the only one flabbergasted by these issues! :smile:

Hello.

FYI in 3.4 the editor is being redone..to some extent. I'm not really sure what changes are to be expected, but you can find more information here.

Just pay attention for when 3.4 comes out and try to break the editor.

Archived