Feature Request: Web app as an alternative to IPB Skins

KT Walrus

I think forums would work better as a web app (one page load).

HP has released a very good SDK for making cross-platform browser based web apps that work on all modern browsers (including mobile). This SDK is called Enyo.

I'm suggesting that the next major release of IPB have the option of running as a web app (while still keeping the Skinning system for those that don't care for very interactive websites not centered around many actions generating new page loads).

• Management

It's not really something you can just 'do'. It'd mean rewriting all of IPB to use a javascript engine to load pages via Ajax. This is quite a challenge for software that offers as much flexibility as ours.

You'd need to really change things at a framework level. For example, you'd need to rewrite the template engine to stop compiling via PHP and instead load into JS and allow the JS engine to build the output.

There's already several frameworks out there for Web Apps such as PhoneGap and KendoUI.

I realize that IPB would need to support an AJAX API that exposes all aspects of features that member's see, and these API functions will be more oriented towards returning data or posting data (JSON) than HTML. The existing skinning system would be useless to a web app and a new skinning system in JS would need to be written (I'd be okay with a very simple skinning system for the web app if the web app were just an option and not replace the old system).

Anyway, I believe the web is evolving towards an app per website and therefore made the suggestion.

It's not really something you can just 'do'. It'd mean rewriting all of IPB to use a javascript engine to load pages via Ajax. This is quite a challenge for software that offers as much flexibility as ours.

You'd need to really change things at a framework level. For example, you'd need to rewrite the template engine to stop compiling via PHP and instead load into JS and allow the JS engine to build the output.

There's already several frameworks out there for Web Apps such as PhoneGap and KendoUI.

um.... wait..... the framework kind of has this flexibility already no? are we not speaking of JSON output versus html or xml?
not truly for or against this beyond.... well, EVERYTHING working in ajax returns sans the current manual inits.

Archived