Update 'quote' function/bbcode

Wolfie

Currently, when you quote a post in the forums, the quote usually include the author's name, post date and... wait for it... a snapback link to the post it came from. However if you quote content elsewhere (comments on a blog entry, image, file, PM, etc), there's no way to include a little snapback so the reader can click on the little arrow to view the source content.

So, are there any plans to expand on this in the future? I think it would be nice to a topic and when seeing a quote, be able to click the 'snapback' icon and be taken to something like a comment to a blog entry. Interapplication quote integration, more or less.

Could make a new quote 'option' or set of options or whatever. Something like source='app:blog;comment:12345', which the average person wouldn't really worry with it because it would be done 'automagically' for them when clicking the quote button, but when parsed/posted, clicking on the little arrow would take them to the original comment. If someone wants to quote it into another app, they could do the ever popular method of clicking 'quote', then copying the contents and pasting into another location.

I know that *if* it gets included that it's extremely unlikely to be anytime before 3.5.0 (if that soon), but please keep it in mind.

And to add to the feedback, the quoting system is not immediately apparent to new or occasional members. By that I mean that you see two words, by default in a post: quote and multiquote.

For non-professional forum or community members, they don't know what the buttons mean. It is not self explanatory. For most people who use the internet and are used to highlighting a phrase, and it is to me as well, the functions of the quote buttons is the second part of a 2-step process:

1. I highlight the text in a post
2. I click on the quote button

But that isn't how it works. I know there is a mod out there to do selective quoting but it is only for one line. I really think you should consider changing the functionality of the quote buttons to make it more UI understandable.

The multi-quote is also very misleading. To newbies or occasional users, they may or probably interpret multiquote to mean selecting one portion of a post then click multiquote and then selecting another section of the SAME post, and again clicking on multiquote.

It is very confusing. A feature like this should be instantly understandable.

While we're talking about quotes...

For users that dislike each other I tell them to use the ignore feature. However, they refuse to do so under the pretense that the ignore feature is useless since they can see a person's post if it is quoted. Would be nice if that wasn't the case. Sounds difficult though.

The multi-quote is also very misleading. To newbies or occasional users, they may or probably interpret multiquote to mean selecting one portion of a post then click multiquote and then selecting another section of the SAME post, and again clicking on multiquote.

It is very confusing. A feature like this should be instantly understandable.

Thanks for the feedback - do you have any suggestions on how MultiQuote could be made more obvious/easy to understand?

[sidetrack]

I thought the next version after 3.4.x was going to be 4.0?

[/sidetrack]

It probably will be, but the idea behind my saying 3.5 instead of 4.0 is to say "I know 3.4.x is likely feature locked, so please consider it for the next step after that." What if there is a 3.5? If I had said 4.0, then if I ask about it, "Well you said 4.0, not 3.5..."

• 6 months later...

While we're talking about quotes...

For users that dislike each other I tell them to use the ignore feature. However, they refuse to do so under the pretense that the ignore feature is useless since they can see a person's post if it is quoted. Would be nice if that wasn't the case. Sounds difficult though.

I think xf has this feature. Would be nice to see it in IPB.

Archived