AdSense Crawler

Donkerrood

@bfarber, it is not about how forums are set and visible to guests. There is a feature in Adsense, where you can provide access credentials, so that adsense crawler can login and see the content in the login-protected area. But this does not work in IPS. Even providing right credentials, login attempts of adsense crawler fail in IPS.

On 7/27/2019 at 5:38 AM, Sonya* said:

@bfarber, it is not about how forums are set and visible to guests. There is a feature in Adsense, where you can provide access credentials, so that adsense crawler can login and see the content in the login-protected area. But this does not work in IPS. Even providing right credentials, login attempts of adsense crawler fail in IPS.

I understand that....but that's not what the previous post said, so I responded to clarify.

1 hour ago, LemonGrenade said:

A possible answer? I'm not sure if 'mediapartners' is included in the bots.

I am afraid, this app changes just display of the bots group. It does not log in the bots as if it were real members. To get rid of Adsense warning, the adsense bot should be really logged in. Or it still cannot see the content beyond login. 

I am not sure, if login via REST can solve the issue 🤔

No, it can't login via REST, but it's really not that hard. There are AFAIK 2 MP developers who accomplished this (I'm also using a similar way by having an extra login form for the bot without CSRF protection) but we're unfortunately not allowing such resources in our marketplace, because they're literally adding a "backdoor" to your installation 😉

On 7/27/2019 at 12:24 AM, bfarber said:

You can display ads to logged in members, however if Adsense requires that a page be guest-viewable in order for ads to display there, then any pages which guests are unable to view would not be able to display ads.

Some sites lock everything down and only logged in users can access basically anything. Some sites are pretty much wide open, guests just can't post. There's a lot of variation in how a site can be configured, so it's hard to give a one size fits all answer.

In order to display ads to logged in members the Adsense Crawler needs authentication (the crawler needs access via a login as explained in Adsense tutorials).

To clarify, is IPS Forums setup to allow Google Adsense Crawler, thus does it have the ability to allow adsense to show to logged in members?  

Having the ability to show Adsense ads to our members should be out of the box, wouldn't everyone agree?

On 7/27/2019 at 7:38 PM, Sonya* said:

@Sonya* explains this further.

Edited by Stormlilly

On 7/30/2019 at 12:15 PM, Daniel F said:

No, it can't login via REST, but it's really not that hard. There are AFAIK 2 MP developers who accomplished this (I'm also using a similar way by having an extra login form for the bot without CSRF protection) but we're unfortunately not allowing such resources in our marketplace, because they're literally adding a "backdoor" to your installation 😉

I have tried it this way, but the account for the Crawler has been blocked by IPS after three false login. Is it really only login, where CSRF is checked or the session as well? Is it sufficient to bypass CSRF for the login only?

Edited by Sonya*

On 8/1/2019 at 8:28 PM, Stormlilly said:

In order to display ads to logged in members the Adsense Crawler needs authentication (the crawler needs access via a login as explained in Adsense tutorials).

To clarify, is IPS Forums setup to allow Google Adsense Crawler, thus does it have the ability to allow adsense to show to logged in members?  

Having the ability to show Adsense ads to our members should be out of the box, wouldn't everyone agree?

@Sonya* explains this further.

But that's not what was asked, and the post is very misleading.

Either way, the status of the original inquiry has not changed. But many clients do in fact use Adsense. I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions, however adsense does not need to log in to your site to display ads to logged in users - it needs to log in to your site if you display ads in areas where only logged in users can access. That is an important and material difference to the discussion. In other words, if you only display ads in areas that are accessible to guests (whether you display ads to guests, logged in members, or both), then you do not need to try to get the adsense crawler to log in to your site.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/8/2013 at 1:04 AM, Christopher Stanley said:

I would like this feature as well. I am getting around 1000 failed crawls a day from google.

This explains so much. 😲 Support for this feature to be added. 👍

On 12/17/2015 at 3:04 AM, Markus Jung said:

Can you tell me the settings for IPS 4? 

I tried:

But this is not working.

IPS 4 currently does not support any authenticated methods for Google to use to login. ☹️

• 10 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 7:15 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

I've put together a plugin which handles this in a different location, making it hookable - have sent a new copy of it to @Mopar1973Man to try it out. If anyone would like a copy then please PM me directly.

I won't be releasing it to the MarketPlace, as it does circumvent the security which IPS has built in to the product (albeit for only one configured account) - all I ask is you chuck me a beer 😉

BUMP98.gif.6832c2b952a61906ae623232484b35ef.gif

Just wanted to give Nathan a little bit of love here and tell anyone that may need this, that it does indeed work.

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2019 at 10:01 AM, Nathan Explosion said:

In the same way - give the url that they can access (you can add more, not just one) with the credentials they are allowed to use (and make sure that the account has the access to view those areas)

Do you still have this plugin and does it still work on the latest IPB? I would like the AdSense Crawler plugin if possible.

Pretty sure I sent it to you previously and we had a discussion about all that.

Anyway...

1. Do I still have it? Yep, somewhere on a backup.
  2. Does it still work on the latest? No idea - I don't use it, and several years ago it became difficult to test it on the adsense site to confirm it was working
  3. "AdSense Crawler plugin" - it's not an adsense crawler plugin. It's a security-weakening plugin that removes CSRF check on a specific account that is then used by you to configure a Adsense to login.

Someone who still uses can comment on no.2 above and advise if it still works - if it does, then I'll dig it out when I've got time to look through backups and send it over.