floating header bar when scrolling down

joelle

What do you think of a skin which has a floating header bar on top when scrolling down? I have just noticed the spectrum skin which has this feature. It sure is a usability feature which should be added to the next major skin change in IP.Board 4. Do you think that this would be a good chioce or not?

What do you think of a skin which has a floating header bar on top when scrolling down? I have just noticed the

spectrum skin

which has this feature. It sure is a usability feature which should be added to the next major skin change in IP.Board 4. Do you think that this would be a good chioce or not?

I could see something like that being useful, but only if the top bar, when 'activated' from scrolling down, were to be minisized. Look at the top bar (user bar). Something like that but perhaps with down arrows in the middle (imagine » but pointing down) and when clicking the bar, would expand to show the userbar and a navigation menu with a simple search bar + button to go to advanced search (simple search would be in-topic only). That way it's there and can be used but close to being unnoticeable.

"skin which has a floating header bar on top when scrolling down?"

This is precisely what I'm paying a dev to come up with for me now.

I'm long in the tooth whining on about share buttons. Because nothing seems to be changing with that I started thinking of alternatives about a fortnight ago. This is probably a better option anyways.

You're thinking well obviously. I'm confident it's gonna look the dogs. I'll link you when we're done OP.

ProMenu 2.0x offers a floating header navigation bar as a stock feature. I enabled it by mistake and found after using it for a couple of weeks, I found it extremely annoying.

Luckily the application allows you to disable the floating feature. I ma MUCH happier now that it is disabled.

As someone who has had the luxury of of having a floating feature, I can say with authority this is a bad idea and I do not endorse the inclusion of the feature in the next version ip board.

ProMenu 2.0x offers a floating header navigation bar as a stock feature. I enabled it by mistake and found after using it for a couple of weeks, I found it extremely annoying.

This could be a good option. Are you able to add the menu navigation to the header bar where the notifications and the messenger is located? Because I don't want the header to get bigger with extra space.

It seems like most users here don't like the idea of a floating header bar even though I am noticing that more sites are adopting this technique (besides facebook). I am not 100% sure if community members would like it or not. But if I can't at least try it out, I will never know if this is in fact a usability advantage. It would be great if a coder could come up with a tutorial on how to change the css for the #header_bar so we could test it on our own boards. Even other great forum software solutions offers a tutorial for this, why not IP.Board?

Here is a screenshot on how I would like to customise the header bar on my board. There is actually header space being removed and what's important stays on top.

Too big, unless that's only when it's expanded. I think you'll find more people liking or accepting the idea if it's a thin/collapsed bar until it's clicked or hovered on.

Hi Joelle:

In reply to:

Are you able to add the menu navigation to the header bar where the notifications and the messenger is located? Because I don't want the header to get bigger with extra space.

the answer is no. I asked that question because installation of ProMenu 2.0x created 2 header menus. Keep in mind we have both a primary navigation bar, that has the forums, status updates, portal, calendar, blogs, etc. and a header navigation menu that has the other elements of our website.

With that said, I can move the ip board header bar (with messenger and notification) to the bottom of the board but that is because of the luxury of using Zuzuskin. Owning that skin is kind of like 24-hour room service (almost everything is done for you ...!!!)

Brian

This is easy to code they don't need to make this it's easy to code that

I think the idea behind the request is that if it's a part of the default skin, then skinners are more likely to include the same or similar feature when making either custom or 'pre-made' skins.

It would be nice if someone creates a tutorial on how to implement

this

Why would they create a tutorial? I mean, they might if they were super nice, but that's custom work. You're either going to have to do it yourself, hire a skinner or wait for someone to create a FREE tutorial for you. I don't see that last option happening.

Why would they create a tutorial? I mean, they might if they were super nice, but that's custom work. You're either going to have to do it yourself, hire a skinner or wait for someone to create a FREE tutorial for you. I don't see that last option happening.

Of course I would purchase such an addon if it would suit my needs.
But there are also people out there who create sometimes free tutorials. Should I ask them why they do it? Oh wait, I create free tutorials myself... and I do it because I enjoy helping people.

Of course I would purchase such an addon if it would suit my needs.

But there are also people out there who create sometimes free tutorials. Should I ask them why they do it? Oh wait, I create free tutorials myself... and I do it because I enjoy helping people.

If you can find someone to create a free tutorial for this skin work, more power to you. :)

Archived