"Protected Forum" should be "Protected Forum. You Have Access"

photoadmin

Hi,

Suggestion:

When a forum is set up so that open members can see the topic titles, but not the topic content, it is appropriate that they see the "Protected Forum" in place of the last post info.

However, on that same type of forum, those who DO have access, should see that sign (so they are reassured it is protected), BUT, they should also be told they have access. I have members who don't click on the protected forum even when they have access to it... they hesitate to click on something that says protected.

So my suggestion is that for those who have access, the sign be changed to:

Protected Forum. You Have Access.

Or something similar. Possible?

Thanks!

--Eddie.

• 4 months later...

Hi Raz,

I don't know if understand your question, but...

The access is not the issue, it's the wording that appears next to a forum title that a member sees even when he/she has access. When a member who has access sees "Protected forum", he/she may assume that access is not granted and move on, when in fact they can access the forum. For those who have access, it should read, "Protected forum, you have access."

If you are new to IPB, then this special permission might be confusing.

Hi Raz,

it's the wording that appears next to a forum title that a member sees even when he/she has access. When a member who has access sees "Protected forum", he/she may assume that access is not granted and move on, when in fact they can access the forum. For those who have access, it should read, "Protected forum, you have access."

As far as am aware if you have access to the forum then you should not see the 'protected forum' so am a little confused ?

As far as am aware if you have access to the forum then you should not see the 'protected forum' so am a little confused ?

Indeed. That message is shown oonly to users who do not have permission to access/view a particular forum/s.

At least in IPB 3.3.4, that is incorrect. Here is a screenshot of what a member with access sees when looking at one of my protected subforums:

protectedforum-screenshot.gif

In the latest version of IPB has this been updated? If so, please excuse.

At least in IPB 3.3.4, that is incorrect. Here is a screenshot of what a member with access sees when looking at one of my protected subforums:

protectedforum-screenshot.gif

In the latest version of IPB, has this been updated? If so, please excuse.

That is strange. I had a look at my 3.4.1 forum and that message showed only to those boards for users who do not have permissions to access them.

Just to make sure we are all on the same page:

Please note as stated in my original post, I'm referring to a forum where you set the settings as shown below, so that a given group can see the topic titles, but not the content of those topics.

So what I'm saying is: Members who are allowed to see both the topic titles and the topic content, still see the "Protected forum" sign.

forum-setting-screenshot.gif

Archived