I'm SORRY IPS!

Peter Parker

OK a while ago I posted a topic when I was PISSED off about my IP SEO live meta tag editor not working (it still doesnt). I said i was going to use a different forum software, bc I was doing poorly in google, due to the way my topics are being displayed by google.

Well its not really IP Board's fault. It was mine.

I have a security certificate on my website, and I was not redirecting with 301's from non www to www., and from http to https.

So because of this google was indexing my site in different ways, it basically thought I had 2 different websites. So thats the real reason why I was doing poorly in google.

I fixed that issue in my .htaccess folder, and now I am doing pretty well in the SERPS. In some cases I am ranking higher than my competition who has been ranking number one for nearly 10 years!

So anyway, I am sorry IPS, for talking trash out of anger and ignorance. My loyalty remains here.

most would not own up to this, IMO you have done well here.

and that may also explain an issue I was seeing with a certificate so thanks for posting this.

Honesty is what I base my character on. I own up to my faults, but sometimes it takes time to see those faults. ;)

If you need the mod_rewrite I used to redirect from non www to www, then from http to https I will post it for you. Just copy and paste, then fix the domiain name.

Thanks for the update.

In all honesty, in 9/10 cases where someone claims IPB's SEO has killed their site, it turns out to be an outside factor such as the one you experienced.

A certain online money making website comes to mind...

Thanks for the update.

In all honesty, in 9/10 cases where someone claims IPB's SEO has killed their site, it turns out to be an outside factor such as the one you experienced.

I'm not a professional by any means. I can see how this could certainly be the case, especially with new domains, or websites that have not created redirects for proper canonicalization. I thought that the rel canonical tag would have sorted these issues, but it was not the case.

I noticed in google webmaster tools that all of my impressions, back links and search queries were dropping rapidly. I did a little searcing for the answer on google, then created a new account in webmaster tools for the https version of my website.

There was all my back links and queries :rofl:

I don't participate in any blackhat SEO stuff, so it caught me off guard, and I spazzed. It's you who I owe the biggest apology to. Sorry for insulting your structure.

I would also like to add (this I am very proud of): I am kicking my competitors butt, in google, who uses V Bulletin 4 and VB SEO. They have been around nearly 9 years or something like that... My domain was created in January.

They dont even rank for the biggest terms (which are competed for internationally) in our niche (I DO), but the search terms that are of low competition they do rank for in the USA. I am usually number 2-3 in those, they are farther below. ;)

I only have one or two left to surpass.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey just an update to this:

I have been working on getting my website to at least the front page of google since January of 2012 for a certain search term that gets 44,000,000 searches anually (not the most but it is the biggest for my niche)

Well my website is on the first page at number 6 and rising :smile: Dont ever let anyone say that IPB has crappy SEO. It's really that the webmaster has no patience, along with a few other mistakes that are easy to make, like using link farms, and other skeezy tatics when you are in a hurry. I bought IPB expecting it to be perfect. While it might not be perfect, it is pretty close in every way.

EDIT: I am also dominating my competitor that used Vbulletin and their SEO "software" that you have to purchase.

IPB has the topic rating in the snippets too. Those yellow stars in google results really catches the eye.

Thanks again everyone - I would leave some flowers but I dont do that. I leave pink mushrooms instead :tongue:

IPB has the topic rating in the snippets too. Those yellow stars in google results really catches the eye.

So I just searched for Zombie Tubs and I see what you mean. How did you get those stars to show up? It doesn't appear to happen by default. For example, Google search "I'm sorry IPS!" and you'll find your post at the top of the results but without the five stars it has earned here.

So I just searched for Zombie Tubs and I see what you mean. How did you get those stars to show up? It doesn't appear to happen by default. For example, Google search "I'm sorry IPS!" and you'll find your post at the top of the results but without the five stars it has earned here.

We use specific HTML markup that Google understands - it's not something you "get to show up". Google decides if it wants to show it or not.

lol what bfarber said. IDK how it happened, honestly. I just set the forum to allow topic ratings, and there it is (after it is rated of course). They all show up like that if its been rated from my website.

Thanks for the info! It makes switching from vb that much more reassuring. I will make my purchase next week when someone is in the office to process my order,

Off topic but I have got to know. Why are you growing mushrooms? Do you grow them to eat? Those pink ones look to good to eat.

I grow mushrooms because it's something that I like to do, so much that I built a website about it. I grow mold too. I also kill mold for a living. Whats cooler than having a mold remediator show up with some freshy grown mushrooms that are still attached to it's substrate, and growing?! :tongue:

But certain mushrooms are very healing things. Reishi has been been proven to have many anti cancerous properties, shiitake reduced my blood cholesterol, trigs etc. Some just look really cool.

The pink ones are Pink Oyster mushrooms. They are very good to eat (and good for you too). Really easy to grow as well, especially for the beginner. ;) ;)

They dont stay pink though when you cook them. All of the different species of oyster mushrooms turn white when you cook them.

(enough rambling from me. I could easily talk about this for hours)

Also, I tried out Vbulletin. the ACP has nothing on IPB's ACP. I would not hesitate to switch over, for sure, just for the ease of operation, and pure quality.

Everytime I go to a forum that is on VB, I say to myself IPB IS SO MUCH BETTER LOOKING!!

When I try to go to shroomology I get an access forbidden 403 error, might want to take a look at any recent changes you've made.

James

its because you are using a proxy of some sort. I had to block them temporarily because of a crafty spammer.

edit: should be good to go now. I removed the .htaccess codes that were blocking you. If I see the spammer again, I will just block him a different way. sorry for the inconvenience.

Ah. ::nods:: I'm coming in on AT&T using my phone via hotspot and I've seen issues with their proxy before, so that makes total sense. Working now!

We just shifted to a whole foods plant based diet in the last year or so (massive health improvement), and mushrooms are very much a favorite around here, so we'll probably be trolling through your site from time to time. :)

James

We just shifted to a whole foods plant based diet in the last year or so (massive health improvement), and mushrooms are very much a favorite around here, so we'll probably be trolling through your site from time to time. :smile:

James

If for some reason you need help with something, or have any questions, you can always PM me here, if you are not comfortable with my board.

Also, if you have trouble registering due to the proxy, I can make an account for you.

Archived