FAQ System

HeadStand

FAQ System

The FAQ System allows Administrators to create custom questions and answers and display them anywhere on their site.

• Uses the full IPB Editor to support BBCode and/or HTML formatting
  • Group Questions into FAQ Collections to show different questions on different pages
  • Integrates with IPB Help Files - include existing help files in a custom collection
  • Display Collections easily on any page, in any IPS component
  • Answers are displayed in a popup window so users are not taken to another screen
  • IP.Content block included

Note: This is the 3.x-compatible version. For 4.0, see http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/7612-faq-system/

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    08/16/2012
  • Category
  • Discussion URL
  • Support Info
    <p>Support Topic</p>
  • Supported Versions

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is interesting.

So, can you add different categories?

Can I use BBcode? images? videos?

Use the full editor to add questions?

HTML code?

Convert topics to FAQ?

The system has a concept of "Collections", which is basically a group of questions. I guess you can think of that as a category.

Both the question and the answer use the full editor, so you can add bbcode, images, videos... anything supported by the editor.

There is no topic conversion at the moment, although I'm interested to know how you picture this feature.... How would the app know which post in a topic becomes the question? Which becomes the answer? If I can figure out how to implement this reliably, I'll add it.

There is no topic conversion at the moment, although I'm interested to know how you picture this feature.... How would the app know which post in a topic becomes the question? Which becomes the answer? If I can figure out how to implement this reliably, I'll add it.

I was thinking of something like Michael's tutorial system, which can make any topic into a tutorial by clicking a button.
True, it would be basically impossible to code it so that the program can tell the difference between a question and the answer, so what I was thinking about is something a little bit simpler: Users often ask questions on the forum, but people actually have to reply to them to provide an answer. So, I don't know, a feature where you click a post's button (add this to FAQ) and then you get to pick whether it's a new question or an answer to a previous question.
So, for example, user a asks question on April 15th. On April 16th another user (or the admin!) replies to it. Then I click on the question's post and add it to the FAQ, and I guess I click again on the answer´s to add it to that FAQ question also.
Or something like that... (or maybe the 2 posts can be merged first or something, I don't know)

What would you say are the main advantages of your mod over, say, creating a subforum called "FAQ" on our forum? (I know there are some, but I think it would help people decide whether to get this or not).

What would you say are the main advantages of your mod over, say, creating a subforum called "FAQ" on our forum? (I know there are some, but I think it would help people decide whether to get this or not).

The main purpose of this mod is to allow you display the FAQs anywhere on the site, and in some logical grouping.

If you created a sub-forum, the users would have to:
1. Actually navigate to the FAQ sub-forum in order to view the FAQ's
2. Search the forum for the topic they need

With this mod, you can display all relevant FAQ's directly on the page as a sidebar block. This is especially useful when you have custom applications installed on your site, and your users are constantly asking questions specific to those apps.

Example: let's say you've installed the Classifieds application. Your users are always asking (totally random question here): "Can this site hold money in escrow?" Instead of having to answer this multiple times, you can have this question displayed directly on the listing form and/or listing page.

Example: let's say you've installed the Classifieds application. Your users are always asking (totally random question here): "Can this site hold money in escrow?" Instead of having to answer this multiple times, you can have this question displayed directly on the listing form and/or listing page.

I see! so, the contents of the block actually change dynamically when I use different mods? say I visit my forum's blog, or tutorials or whatever, then the contents of the block change and display the relevant questions to those apps? If so, that's impressive!

This looks very interesting.................I really like this idea.

Do you have a live demo?

Mainly because image #3 shows what looks like a sidebar and we do not use any sidebars on our site, so I guess what I am asking is apart from wanting to look at a live demo, can you disable the sidebar feature?

Can you have this on different forums? With different FAQ?

We don't use IPC, would this effect the install? Can it be used without IPC?

It uses the IPB editor.

I do not see the editor, will this be included or is it just text boxes? If so, this is not for us, unfortunately.

I don't understand where the FAQ's will be in regards to the forum, menu etc, this is why I would like to see a live demo.

you shouldn't mix your 3rd party js with ips js.. you have folder provided for all 3rd party js.. /js/3rdparty.. its purpose is to use with 3rd party js belongs to 3rd party apps to keep board files smooth and not messed.

to be able to be loaded by js modules, yes, yes they should be in /js/, /js/3rd_party/ will not allow js module usage, and using said functionality, or folder, is not a taboo, and is the cleanest native way to add javascript links to the head tag.... putting it in /3rd_party/ would mean needing to hook it in the head conditionally for ones application, write it to the head with javascript, or not having it in the head tag where it should be at all.
ips.classifieds.js, ips.tracker.js, and ips.realstats.js are a couple third party js modules i can view locally.

I see! so, the contents of the block actually change dynamically when I use different mods? say I visit my forum's blog, or tutorials or whatever, then the contents of the block change and display the relevant questions to those apps? If so, that's impressive!

Not exactly. You tell the system which group to display on which page.

Huh? The screenshots show text area no rte .. so all the numnum bbcodes work? Please say oui

The editors are minimized in the screenshots, those are NOT text areas. All bbcodes work.

Do you have a live demo?

Not at the moment.

Mainly because image #3 shows what looks like a sidebar and we do not use any sidebars on our site, so I guess what I am asking is apart from wanting to look at a live demo, can you disable the sidebar feature?

You can place the FAQ block wherever you like. The default display does use a sidebar block, but it's a skin template, and you can edit it to appear differently.

Can you have this on different forums? With different FAQ?

Currently you insert the blocks by adding a line to the appropriate template. You can use if conditions to change the contents.

Example:

<if test="$forum['id'] == 1">

{parse template="showCollection" group="faq" params="'faq_forum_1'"}

</if>

<if test="$forum['id'] == 2">

{parse template="showCollection" group="faq" params="'faq_forum_2'"}

</if>

We don't use IPC, would this effect the install? Can it be used without IPC?

You do not need IPC in order to use this application.

I don't understand where the FAQ's will be in regards to the forum, menu etc, this is why I would like to see a live demo.

They will be placed wherever you put them. Just as a note - any demo I have would have it in the sidebar, which isn't what you're looking for anyway. ;)

you shouldn't mix your 3rd party js with ips js.. you have folder provided for all 3rd party js.. /js/3rdparty.. its purpose is to use with 3rd party js belongs to 3rd party apps to keep board files smooth and not messed.

This is actually the correct location for JS files. The 3rd_party folder is for JS files that are completely external to the IPB framework (e.g. scriptaculous).

Awesome. Didn't you think about front-end panel for moderators? without a need to access acp by them?

I'll add it, but no timetable right now. I'm still catching up from my maternity leave - this app was something I had sitting around and I decided to release it. I won't have time for any major changes for at least another month or so.

In the FAQ collections do you reckon you could add the {parse...} for that collection just to make it easy to copy & paste?

IPContent page -

{parse template="showCollection" group="faq" params="faq_awards"}

is not parsing

Thanks,
Larry

IPContent page -

is not parsing

Thanks,
Larry

That won't work in IP.Content. There is a special IP.Content block that is included with the application. You can find configuration instructions in the documentation provided with the download.

IPContent page -

is not parsing Thanks, Larry

One more thing I just noticed - you're missing the single quotes around faq_awards. It should be

{parse template="showCollection" group="faq" params="'faq_awards'"}

Which becomes the answer? If I can figure out how to implement this reliably, I'll add it.

Look at how the MultiQuote button is handled, where you click it and there's a little pop-up (telling you how many you have in queue) and the MultiQuote button turns green. Use that same concept, where you add 'buttons' to all posts that only select groups can see. Buttons would be to tag as a question or an answer. In the pop-up, when you have all posts marked, click a button to pull the posts into your app for tweaking.

And all this time I thought it was for the 3rd party js's that were pre-included with the core files so that the various functions would work properly.. Silly me.

Archived