Advanced Messenger

Marcher Technologies

%7Boption%7D

File Name: Advanced Messenger

File Submitter: Marcher Technologies

File Submitted: 16 Aug 2012

File Category: Integration

This Hook Will add many enhancements to Personal Conversation management from the messenger listing.
You may optionally refine who may use this feature by groups(including secondary groups) via a system setting.
A floating action bar will allow you to traverse through the pages in a timely manner, saving and enforcing your selections across all pages on submission.
Also Included is the ability to queu archive digests to be sent by task, with the option to have the personal conversations deleted after sucessfully sending the digest.
Archives are sent via task at 10 personal conversations per email.
You may optionally refine who may use this feature as well by groups(including secondary groups) via a system setting.
Like me and have an unending flood of PM's with no quick way to archive so you can delete, or archive AND Delete automatically when successfully sent? Tired of managing Personal Conversations page by page?
This will help :smile:

here to download this file

Just installed the script.

The idea is great.

The implementation sucks.

The mod is totally useless for me.

I have over 55,000 PMs ... mostly copies of mass-pms I have sent in the past two years. My screen shows 100 at a time. The mod can only work with one page at a time. That means I would need to run the mod 550 times.

NOTE: If I set it up to show 1,000 or more on a page it crashes my browser. Even if I could get 1,000 on a screen, that would still require 55 separate runs.

There should be a way to select the PMs to be archived by date, status, sender etc

The worst part is that it is totally ridiculous that the only way to archive PMs is to send them as emails ONE AT A TIME

I want them stored on my server .. but not in my PM folder

Rewrite please

Sigh, will rewrite this, but can i ask you HOW you expect pulling 1000 rows to archive would NOT exceed script limits(they are pulled one at a time regardless, i think you hit the max request line, NOT the max exec)?
Can I ask you HOW you expect 1000 attachments to fit in an email? open to suggestion, but 100 at a time is 100 times faster than the stock.
How would you prefer it if not by email, the user still has to have access them, so storing them on your SERVER isn’t realistic in terms of space or private accessibility.
PHP Script limit, 128mb.
Maximum safe email attachment size with the 33% mime-type encoding gain, 6MB.
If every server, or even a majority, had any real compression tools you can uncompress and use I WOULD be using it.... for compression that you can uncompress from your OS, PHP has NOTHING.
Would you prefer i generate a nice huge HTML Doc and stick it somewhere viably visible to all on your server?
Same Problem, so give me an actually usable suggestion for HOW you expect to do 1k at a time?
Even marked for 'archiving' and done as task at a low limit this is simply not viable.... in fact it would take more time than 550 pages at one page a go, that would take nigh-on a month to run through.

While I can agree, I think a compromise can be made here.
You quite obviously are the admin, given a shell tool, could you use it? I ask as obviously browser-based PHP is not going to cut it for you, in such a situation, your best option is shell with some minor configs not sending email at-all, simply generate HTML files where specified.
In terms of the frontend, the issue specifically is the max request line, going to redo that with ajax frankly anyway.

MT.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The very nature of "archiving" anything usually means we are dealing with large numbers of items. Your mod, as written, just isn't efficient or effective in the way it handles it's objective. My guess is that when you were writing and testing the script, you used a few dozen to at most, a few hundred sample messages. Am I right?

You have a useful mod, it just needs some tweaks. If you make the suggested changes it will likely result in a much better mod for you to sell and everyone else to benefit from.

FYI: I am a full-time webmaster for 13 years. I started with IPB Version 1.30 in 2003. My community currently has 22,000 members just in South Florida. At any given moment there are approximately 600 people online.

In the course of sending MASS PMs my inbox filled up with copies of the sent messages. Having these messages in my ADMIN account just gets in the way.

The larger issue is with Invision. IMHO, the entire PM system stinks in terms of functionality. There is no way to efficiently manage large numbers of messages. To me "Large" = 500 +

The preferred option would be to delete these messages altogether. Is there a mod for that somewhere?

Archiving them is an acceptable alternative. I am on a dedicated server with plenty of disk space. If there was a way to simply move them outside of the PM system that would be fine. Sort of like what happens now with archived topics.

Let's say I initiated an archive of 50,000 messages. If the mod were to run in the background as a task then that would be fine for me. It wouldn't matter one bit how long it took.

I have some specific requests for enhancements to the PM system. If you -- or anyone else -- is interested, I would love to discuss a custom project. The end product would likely be very sellable.

Thanx

Neil

I am interested, and am already rewriting the entire mod, and did take you quite seriously..... on the veneer edge of the dead of sleep at this point having worked on this single mod the night through.
post-201612-0-00668400-1345646289_thumb.
Reworking everything here, it will have a task, I will see just how many pc's we can fit in one of these mails, and i will be heavily testing sending mass emails on a live install shortly.
It already remembers other pages.... still working on this.
Also, anyone gets a driver error on strict SQL from mass pm on add, the /admin/applications_addon/other/masspm/setup/versions/install/sql/masspm_mysql_tables.php should be

<?php

// Tables

$TABLE[] = "CREATE TABLE masspms (

p_id int(10) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,

p_title text NOT NULL,

p_settings text NOT NULL,

p_text text NOT NULL,

p_send tinyint(3) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

p_tsend int(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

p_dateadded varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

p_dateupdated varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

PRIMARY KEY (p_id)

)";

Just installed the script.

The idea is great.

The implementation sucks.

The mod is totally useless for me.

I have over 55,000 PMs ... mostly copies of mass-pms I have sent in the past two years. My screen shows 100 at a time. The mod can only work with one page at a time. That means I would need to run the mod 550 times.

NOTE: If I set it up to show 1,000 or more on a page it crashes my browser. Even if I could get 1,000 on a screen, that would still require 55 separate runs.

There should be a way to select the PMs to be archived by date, status, sender etc

The worst part is that it is totally ridiculous that the only way to archive PMs is to send them as emails ONE AT A TIME

I want them stored on my server .. but not in my PM folder

Rewrite please

Try now please.... rewrite granted.
Selections will be remembered through pages for all messenger listing actions, you can page without fear. rewrote the archiving as a task at 10 Personal conversations per email, 200 max rows pulled, one email per member per run,10-minute task, and coded in archive and delete in the same swoop.
Mark them all and sit back and let it run.
Please let me know if it needs further changes to accommodate, but i *think* this implementation should prove much more satisfying.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

<Removed - ignore>

EDIT: And I swear that this was the Advanced messenger thread, but it says mass archive personal conversations :cry:

EDIT 2: Using 3.4.1 - oh wait, this is not updated yet, is this going to be updated for 3.4.x?

it is both... the support topic title never got updated.

Not certain it needs to be? Haven't vetted it, but was rebuilt against 3.3 and not much got changed in that area.... will test it.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Does it work under 3.4.7?

I just bought it a few days, as I couldn't get a reply on anything yet from MT, I am afraid, and at least one of the items I purchased just breaks my forum.

MT, are you around still?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards, Wim

Archived