ok is this reboot is mandatory for everyday?

recifbox

one problem with this (allowing people to d/l and run themselves) is most people would not be able to actually install/run it as shared servers/vps would not allow it. and even if they stress that I bet people would just blindly buy then whine.

Indeed. I can see it now... Client saying, "I fully understand that even though I am paying you (insert high amount of money here) that I will not be entitled to any form of support for installing, maintaining or troubleshooting of any kind (blah blah blah).." then the next day, "Hey I paid $xxx for this, why won't you help me with it?!?"

Whch is why I suggested stashing it away in IP.Extra's and not promoting it at all.. I'm not really fond of the idea of assuming everyone that uses the product is an idiot. When you pay for IP.Chat, you get it the way it is now. If the source for it were ever released for other developers to fiddle around with, it'd either be in IP.Extras or just stuck away as a forum attachment somewhere. Just like IPS does with beta releases in a sense.

like I said, I don't even like the product so I was just thinking out loud really.
would much rather IP develop a working relationship with addon chat and use that, and those wanting more could then just use their own addon chat acct and have it fully integrated.
never had to deal with daily reboots with them personally and since thats all they do their setup is set for it.

I'm not really fond of the idea of assuming everyone that uses the product is an idiot.

It's not assuming that everyone using it is an idiot. It's more of knowing that there are going to be some will say one thing but then turn around and do another, as though they had no concept/understanding of what they were saying to begin with. It's like if I were to go and try to talk about quantum physics, where I might say the right words and in the right way, but in all honesty, that would be pure luck because I don't know the first thing about it, other than the fact that I don't know the first thing about it.

Granted, *if* IPS were to make it available for people to obtain (either free or from a purchase), there would be those who fully understand the fact of not receiving support for it. It's those few who would still try that would make it more hassle than it's worth that would come back to bite them in the blue area. Just like there are those few who convert "We hope to have an alpha version in private testing within three months" into "We'll release a final/bug free version no later than 2 months from now."

For those interested in using AddonChat, you are certainly entitled to do so. :) IP.Chat is an optional service you can use (both for free, or you can upgrade to a paid plan). There is an AddonChat application in the marketplace, and you can use it if you prefer it.

There are options here and we have no intention of limiting anyone's options in this regard. There are many many other chat service applications in the marketplace as well if you haven't looked lately.

System will now only do its maintenance once a week.

Don't support we could know the DOW and time?

Many thks Charles i'll post update here to see how it improve stability of the chat module

Let's just hope that it doesn't cause new issues. I'm sure any issues have already been considered, still though, hope for the best.

Archived