Favicon should be a SETTING...

Ocean West

Thats why you delete the favicon in root and admincp when you re-download the update/bugfixes

That seems like a lot of effort for a tiny file you can just upload to your server :smile:

Got to agree ... how hard is it to remove that when you download the updates ... so easy

Now if IPS could get its software to make a cuppa while the upgrader is running then that would be more useful ... lol

Just remove write permissions for favicon in your root and acp folder and it won't be overwritten everytime and you don't have to bother anymore.

Exactly. I was reading to see if anyone else had mentioned this.

Remove the permissions on all files that need to remain unchanged. favicon.ico in both root and ACP locations and also the emoticons (at least any custom ones that are using the same name as one of the default emoticon images). Since I rename my ACP folder, I have the folder 'admin' set to deny writing permissions. So if I forget to rename the folder, it won't mess me up.

Of course the other option is to redirect the calling of favicon.ico to use a different file. Could have it call on a script that picks a random image so different people see different site icons or might appear to change every few days. Could get someones attention and have them coming back to see when it'll change again.

That seems like a lot of effort for a tiny file you can just upload to your server :smile:

ABSOLUTELY agreed. ;) All you need to do is create one of your own, then upload as Charles said. It can't get any simplistic than that. :P

thanks for the suggestions - by no means was I suggesting that we divert resources to develop favicon management. ;)

I just mean that it's just another feather in IPS' hat of how much better they are then the competition. - one more item they
can add to the marketing bullet point list.

- Agree that its a simple thing - but depending on my level of caffeine it may go un noticed for several days and when i do
upgrade i don't always do it from my main machine, and may not have my punch list of things to remember.

I have removed permissions on the ico file and in addition i have also uploaded a duplicate - or a backup file that has a name
that won't' be overwritten just incase :)

I just mean that it's just another feather in IPS' hat of how much better they are then the competition. - one more item they

can add to the marketing bullet point list.

I don't have strong opinions on the suggestion, but something tells me "uploading the upgrade pack won't overwrite your favicon" is sadly not something that could be added to any sort of marketing bullet point list. Something tells me, most clients would glaze over that and not care. :P

Archived