[Request] Personal Photo Albums (In Profile)

VHL

Personal Profile Albums

I'm proposing that Invision Power adopt a profile photo album system that most, if not all social media sites use. Do not confuse this system with the current IP.Gallery & the tab in your profile. Although the two are similar and share some basic (cosmetic) features, they are two different concepts and are used & managed in two different ways. Let me explain.

If you're familiar with the way photo albums work on vBulletin, Facebook, Myspace, various dating sites, and most other social media sites, you'll probably get a good idea of what i'm talking about right off the bat.

These albums, unlike in the current IP.Gallery system, are viewable exclusively in the user's profile regardless of privacy settings. They aren't viewable or viewed in the Gallery, nor are they compatible with any "Global Albums", and don't use Parent Albums. Instead they are personal and exclusive to the user's profile only. This creates a more personal and user friendly system for those who don't want their Photos displayed in the Gallery, but at the same time don't want to set privacy settings for their photos (However they can be optional). For people like me who are looking to create a more social-media based site, this is a small but vital feature to have.

Quick Overview

• Photos viewed exclusively through Profile, regardless of privacy settings
  • Albums and photos are managed through the UserCP
  • Much like the current Gallery system, users can choose privacy settings (Public, Registered Users Only, Friends Only, Private)
  • No use of the actual "Gallery" system
  • No Global albums
  • No Parent albums
  • Photos NOT shown anywhere in the main gallery system, only through Profile
  • It would be optional. Turned off by default. Community Administrator would decide whether or not to enable it

"Like" this post if you support this request!

I never enjoyed profile gallery stuff. Always felt very stiff and admins never allowed for large displaying and file sizes. Having a dedicated gallery seems to show the admin is willing to put effort into the image part of the site.

I also don't see anything social about it.

I never enjoyed profile gallery stuff. Always felt very stiff and admins never allowed for large displaying and file sizes. Having a dedicated gallery seems to show the admin is willing to put effort into the image part of the site.

I also don't see anything social about it.

To each their own - Ultimately it would be up the community administrator whether or not to enable it, so if you personally didn't like the concept of profile albums, you could disable it and stick to the original 'Gallery' system for image sharing.

I on the other hand can't stand the current Gallery system when it comes to personal photo albums. I have no problem with the concept of IP.Gallery - It can be useful for when users want to share pictures among the community, specifically in premade albums for certain subjects. However it's not so useful and user friendly when a user wants to maintain an album of personal photos of themselves and doesn't want it to be so prominately displayed in a global gallery, but rather just in their profiles. The only way to do this currently is to set it to private and that would restrict it to friends only. For people like me who are looking for more of a mix between social media and forum discussion, this is a small but vital feature to have as most users of a social media site don't want their pictures thrown in with thousands of other albums, but rather prefer a more personal and individual (Not to mention more organized) way of managing their photos.

It would be a page of photos of the member in his profile?

If this will be very good :smile:

Pretty much, as far as the cosmetic look of it, it would look almost exactly the way the Gallery tab looks in the profiles now, except rather than the global gallery album being there it would be a personal photo album. (Perhaps it could be merged in the same tab?)

More feedback would be nice.

I think it can serve as an addition to the member's application, an application which needs even more additions when board is no longer the core.

But are we talking about photo albums or a collection of previously used avatars?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived