Visual Page Layout Editor

Marcher Technologies

%7Boption%7D

File Name: Visual Page Layout Editor

File Submitter: Marcher Technologies

File Submitted: 29 Jun 2012

File Category: Content Management

This Hook Will add a new Page Content type, That Is Edited in The Front-end Launched From A Link in Step Two Of The Page Editing Wizard For Pages Using This Content Type or the Page Manager listing on any page with an HTML content type. This is Only Usable With The HTML Content Type On Existing HTML Pages. The jQuery-powered javascript is designed to Seek stock .ipsLayout classes For Droppable Containers(and will let you add and remove these containers as desired).
It is Also Designed to Seek all .ipsSideBlock, .general_box, and .ccsBlock classes as draggable elements to be dropped into these containers in all page blocks, as well as all previously existing parse tags on the page.
A large Selection Of Blocks is available draggable by 'name' with block category/key titles. You Will Be Prompted to confirm the save of your Edits, and then Will be Redirected to the Edited Page, Ending The Content Types Wizard Session and converting the Page into an HTML Content Type. Behind The Scenes, A revision of the page Is Stored, In fact using the very same methods used in the ACP. Hardened Against CSRF. Minifies The HTML before Saving the page, as well as removing extraneous helper elements used to power the interface. Provides a non-coder Friendly Page Editing interface for those who cannot code HTML but need a certain Page layout/arrangement easily.

here to download this file

Wow. So this is like Social Groups "edit page" feature, but for IP.Content, and thus more powerful and expandable? If that is so, you need a video to show how it works, like rsvarth did.

May need to start saving for a sex change so I can have your babies :wub:

How much extra jQuery did you add, as I know you were pro-Prototype before and against adding jQuery to IPS, or is this only applicable in the ACP and thus doesn't add an extra bulk to visitors viewing the front-end?

Wow. So this is like Social Groups "edit page" feature, but for IP.Content, and thus more powerful and expandable? If that is so, you need a video to show how it works, like rsvarth did.

May need to start saving for a sex change so I can have your babies :wub:

How much extra jQuery did you add, as I know you were pro-Prototype before and against adding jQuery to IPS, or is this only applicable in the ACP and thus doesn't add an extra bulk to visitors viewing the front-end?

... Frankly, I don't think I could have made it with proto, was a royal bleeder with jQuery, even though aeons easier.
The extra load is only incurred during the frontend page editing session(not to anyone viewing the page being edited, only the secure editing session reveals the Visual Page Editor, others all see the pre-edit page until published), and if jQuery.ui and jQuery.ui.tabs is defined, the Javascript libraries are not loaded extraneously.
However.... there a rather lot of dynamic custom javascript using _ccsjQ(jQuery enhanced with jQuery.ui for droppable, draggable, and tabs) inline for that active session... its something that caching of is quite undesireable, and as i dont have certain ipb.vars, was better to go inline there anyway(where i have them with php).
Frankly, theres enough custom jQuery usage on the page in Visual Mode to choke a goat(so that everything WAI), but only the user editing the page with the Page Layout editor ever sees that.
And yes.... It is, and yes, I will(make a video... lol)l.... have several other pans afloat.

Okay, I just installed it and gave it a quick test.

[*]None of the drag-and-drop functionality works. PC+Google Chrome. I can't move blocks, I can't switch between blocks and layouts and the Titles/Preview mode buttons don't do anything. In other words it simply doesn't work (for me) sorry. [*]The "Visual Page Layout Editor By Marcher Technologies" appears as a button, and its quite noticeable. I think this is overkill for a paid mod and is only accessible in the ACP area. You shouldn't need to advertise to your existing customers. [*]The instruction box looks a bit ordinary. No spacing or formatting. Grammar should be fixed. [*]Blocks are just listed in a big long list. Not grouped under categories. I have a few blocks with the same titles but in the ACP they are in different categories so I can tell them apart.

Okay, I just installed it and gave it a quick test.[list=1] [*]None of the drag-and-drop functionality works. PC+Google Chrome. I can't move blocks, I can't switch between blocks and layouts and the Titles/Preview mode buttons don't do anything. In other words it simply doesn't work (for me) sorry. [*]The "Visual Page Layout Editor By Marcher Technologies" appears as a button, and its quite noticeable. I think this is overkill for a paid mod and is only accessible in the ACP area. You shouldn't need to advertise to your existing customers. [*]The instruction box looks a bit ordinary. No spacing or formatting. Grammar should be fixed. [*]Blocks are just listed in a big long list. Not grouped under categories. I have a few blocks with the same titles but in the ACP they are in different categories so I can tell them apart.

[/list]

1:I just tested chrome yet again... did you upload the js file to the right place? inspect your page? are any js errors appearing(possibly from Blocks js in use somewhere? listing every block>.<)? Does block js work? ergo, is _ccsjQ available, or...?
2:You are correct, the wizard session has a single link... its not like is visible to anyone publicly on the page(do you know how RARELY i put a copyright at all? I think a link in a private wizard session I slaved over for some weeks should not be harped on really.... it is not shown to the public, nor inserted into the page.).
3: Will re-look over that... how is:

You Are Performing a Live Edit Of This Page, Blocks are Draggable within the areas below, and you may add and remove Layouts as needed. Note That All Parse Tags Already Present on This Page Are Draggable(Special Tags Are Not Droppable), though only Blocks are shown in previews, other tags are Handled as-is for resource reasons.

Beyond capitalization, a bad explanation?
4: will go group them under categories then.

Re-downloaded. Reinstalled hook. No change. Disabled Ablock Plus in Chrome, no luck.

Tried in IE9 x64, no luck.

Box around your ad was still there (and it wasn't cached as I haven't used IE9 in months), and I still could not drag anything around.

No idea what's causing these problems, maybe I'm doing something really stupidly obvious I'll laugh about when I find out :unsure:

Re-downloaded. Reinstalled hook. No change. Disabled Ablock Plus in Chrome, no luck.

Tried in IE9 x64, no luck.

Box around your ad was still there (and it wasn't cached as I haven't used IE9 in months), and I still could not drag anything around.

No idea what's causing these problems, maybe I'm doing something really stupidly obvious I'll laugh about when I find out :unsure:

hrmm... i ran into this today myself on a different install... im now done trying to 'elegantly' add the js... try this and i'll update the file if it resolves the issue as it did in this instance(or when i wake regardless, i found preview mode to be overly heavy(will be dropping it, blocks have simply too much going on to sanely show the output all-at-once, ever), and need to add the categorization as well):
Find:

<script>

_ccsjQ(document).ready( function()

{

if(typeof _ccsjQ.ui.droppable==='undefined' || typeof _ccsjQ.ui.draggable==='undefined' || typeof _ccsjQ.ui==='undefined' )

{

_ccsjQ('body').append("<scr"+"ipt src='{$this->settings['js_base_url']}js/3rd_party/ccs_pages/jquery-ui-1.8.21.custom.min.js'></sc"+"ript>");

}

});

</script>

in the hook file... this appears to not work with certain setups/js combinations.

<script src='{$this->settings['js_base_url']}js/3rd_party/ccs_pages/jquery-ui-1.8.21.custom.min.js'></script>

just make it that^ elegant injection seems to have issues.

File updated, applied the hard 'fix' mentioned above(atm, i dont care what is loaded, it has proven multiple times to not play nice, needs to simply WAI).
Added Title attributes to the draggable blocks with the block key (and category if applicable) for better distinction.
Dropped the entirely too heavy(script and exec wise) preview mode.
'skip' over the two stock variables blocks being draggable/droppable... as i ran into flat oddity on an install with those two.

Marcher, Can I arrange blocks in front-page / home-page (like widgets in WordPress)? I'm currently using default IPB theme with default two sidebars (index.html). I would like to add/remove sidebars by placing different blocks. If this hook is going to provide that feature, I'm going to buy it now. I purchased more than 10 modifications from you until now! :) Thanks.

Marcher, Can I arrange blocks in front-page / home-page (like widgets in WordPress)? I'm currently using default IPB theme with default two sidebars (index.html). I would like to add/remove sidebars by placing different blocks. If this hook is going to provide that feature, I'm going to buy it now. I purchased more than 10 modifications from you until now! :smile: Thanks.

Yes, that is what it is designed to do.
Freeborne, you did not get back to me after the last update, several changes I made should resolve the issues you faced, specifically, the removal of preview mode(every single block that has a js init actually shown/parsed raised the chances of a conflict/oddity/sluggishness).

I'm wondering why don't you modifications didn't utilize IPB installation procedures.

they do? you install a hook and it works.... I've yet to see anything that will package content stuff with a hook(templates, block/field source files), you see one let me know.
An app for most of them is completely overkilll and infeasible.
If it did not install using the framework it would not have been approved, any mod.
This mod specifically could not exist without the IPB hook system.

Sorry, I like you and your mods, but I had no luck with this, including that last update, and didn't feel like breaking the bad news :unsure:

It still doesn't work, at all.

It only works in the ACP for me. I see nothing in the front-end to indicate where I should click to edit the page, etc.

I was just waiting for someone else to purchase it and try it, so I'd know whether it's my set up or not.

I am using a HTML page.
I am using blocks with "general_box" div containers.
I tried with "Marble" theme by IPBSkins and Default theme.

P.S: It's not the cheapest mod either, and could do with a lot of polishing to look nicer (in the ACP anyway, that's all I've seen so far). I was expecting it to look like Social Groups 2.0

Sorry, I like you and your mods, but I had no luck with this, including that last update, and didn't feel like breaking the bad news :unsure:

It only works in the ACP for me. I see nothing in the front-end to indicate where I should click to edit the page, etc.

I was just waiting for someone else to purchase it and try it, so I'd know whether it's my set up or not.

I am using a HTML page.

P.S: It's not the cheapest mod either, and could do with a lot of polishing to look nicer (in the ACP anyway, that's all I've seen so far). I was expecting it to look like Social Groups 2.0

Wait a second... when you click the link to visually edit the page in the acp, what do you see(screenshot)? the whole thing is based in the frontend of the page accessed through the acp, and that is the interface sought to mimic.... i suppose the sane question is is _ccsjQ being defined for your blocks to use? that's supposed to be handled by ipc... and FYI, I believe Srinath is using it aptly, and i know Tigratus is.
Please pm me access to look at what it is doing directly....

I am using a HTML page.

I just brought it and it's working 100% according to product description. One thing I found is... IP Board itself is not working or looking good with IE. When I use Chrome (latest stable build), it's working fine. When you click on "Visually Edit Layout" in "Page Manager", it should take you to the front-page. In that page we can see two options "Blocks" and "Layouts" followed by "Publich" button in right side.
Marcher, did I miss anything? :smile:

I just brought it and it's working 100% according to product description. One thing I found is... IP Board itself is not working or looking good with IE. When I use Chrome (latest stable build), it's working fine. When you click on "Visually Edit Layout" in "Page Manager", it should take you to the front-page. In that page we can see two options "Blocks" and "Layouts" followed by "Publich" button in right side.

Marcher, did I miss anything? :smile:

nope, i'm just trying to get him to give me enough information to figure out where he is getting stuck at and resolve it.

This is what it looks like in my ACP:
post-202568-0-63388500-1342325234_thumb.

EDIT: NEVERMIND. Got it working by un-installing hook, re-installing.
It has a large white box obscuring part of the screen though.
post-202568-0-70401300-1342325514_thumb.

When I inspect that area of the HTML, it looks like this:

<div class="ccsPageBlock draghandle draggable ccsPad_small ccsRow_2 ui-draggable" style="z-index: 9999; position: relative; " data-block-key="block_footer">

<span class="destroyMe" title="Frontpage-Bottom : block_footer">Footer</span>

</div>

Also, the blocks are only separated by spaces or line breaks. As you can see from my screenshot, it looks very confusing. Maybe give them a background colour and spacing of 1 or 2 pixels.

the skinner deserves your ire, not I.
how is ccsRow_2 undefined in your skin? and ccsPad_small? at a very minimum they are defined in core.css of ipc... so how are you doing that? :unsure:
That's... extremely confusing... even .ipsLayout appears to be undefined.... I am using all stock style rules, it should not be possible to come out not styled... but I cannot help it when the stock appears to be undefined in your skin.... yell at the Skinner, or whatever mod is causing the css to be all left for ipb in whole on that page.... I am unable to reproduce that.... and it has nothing to do with the skin width, it has everything to do with every single stock style I am using being.... undefined somehow in that skin... which again.... how? half of it is defined in core.css.... should not be possible.