Community

Michael Burton

Posts Per Day Goal

%7Boption%7D

File Name: Posts Per Day Goal

File Submitter: Mikey

File Submitted: 30 Jun 2012

File Category: User and Social Engagement

Posts Per Day Goal adds a notice to the top of your forum, which prompts the user groups of your choice that you have a goal of x posts per day. So, if you have a staff group, and want your forums total posts per day to be, lets say 20, you'll set the goal to 20, and the hook keeps a count of how many posts have been made, and how many are left to make.

The notice changes when the goal has been reached, from a red background to a green one, reinforcing the positive action of reaching the goal.

I developed this for my own forums, and displayed it only to my staff members, and it's encouraged posting to reach the goal. Looking over my logs, from the last 7 days, 90% of the time the goal of 15 posts is reached every day. Before the hook was installed I was getting daily post counts of 3, maximum of 7, so this has increased activity within my site by 50%! Please see screenshots for proof.

Main features:

• Include / Exclude Groups to Show to, so you can only show this notice to staff, or to guests, or to Moderators and Administrators..
  • LIVE count of the posts made, and the posts needed to be made to reach the goal.
  • Forum Exclusion. If you have an Off Topic or Forum Games forum, you can exclude them from the total count. Useful if you get a lot of posts in one area of the forum and want to promote activity others.
  • Notice changes when goal is reached, counter keeps going, so you can be "10 over goal".
  • Promotes Activity, and uses Positive Reinforcement techniques.

I have some features planned, including adding the amount of posts YOU have made, how you've contributed to the goal, amongst other more general statistics.

%7Boption%7D
%7Boption%7D

here to download this file

What do I got to loose. I bought it.

Installing now.

Let me know if you run into any issues, please. I see you have it working on ibotmodz nicely.. :smile:

Ahh damn, forgot phrases.. why is it when you come to release, you have just forgotten ONE thing.. >_<

For now, you can edit those strings of text from the template, I will add the phrases for them, or even settings for that text in the next version...

Nice Job, Mikey!

A couple of questions:

1) Do I need 2 different licenses if I run 2 sites?

No, but you can only run it on your sites, that is, sites that you run.

2) Does this include a language file that can be translated?

Not yet, I did completely forget about phrases. The text is hardcoded in the template, phrases will come in the next version..

I have bought this for a site that usually gets 100-300 posts per day. I will see how it works with a live community.

It would be good if you could customize the display mode, I would like to display it as an announcement in the Shoutbox.

I have bought this for a site that usually gets 100-300 posts per day. I will see how it works with a live community.

It would be good if you could customize the display mode, I would like to display it as an announcement in the Shoutbox.

Thanks for the purchase! :)

I don't have any experience extending the shoutbox hook, but I'll take a look and if it's possible, I'll do my best to come up with a solution.

can you tell me if this works on 3.1.4 ? please :smile:

This was designed on 3.3, with 3.3 in mind. While the queries used are fairly non-version-dependent, It's never recommended to install something designed for 3.3 on something so different as 3.1.4. I'd install on a test board, except I don't have one to hand. Sorry, please assume "no" for now.

I am a new client. Just purchased this.

I too would like to see some display options...Consider also in the footer, in the sidebar...

I personally would like to put it in the footer.

Do another release with a drop down option for display location. ;)

That would be great, thanks.

I am a new client. Just purchased this.

I too would like to see some display options...Consider also in the footer, in the sidebar...

I personally would like to put it in the footer.

Do another release with a drop down option for display location. ;)

That would be great, thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for the purchase! This type of feedback is exactly what I am looking for, I shall see if I can include any display options in 1.0.3.. :thumbsup:

I brought it, but got a database error, but I do have a big forum!

Hello,

Thank you for the purchase! Unfortunately this is a known issue which is fixed in 1.0.3. (I just fixed it yesterday). For now you need to go to your AdminCP > System > System Settings > Hooks > Posts Per Day Goal Settings, from there you need to configure the forums you wish to count posts from. If this is empty it will throw a database error, My hope is to have 1.0.3 out in a few days which fixes this issue. :rofl:

Thanks,

Hi, how is Midnight determined? It was registering the days post count well, but seemed to reset sometime between 7-8pm. My board time is now 8:14pm and is showing 0 posts, though an hour or so ago was showing targets had been reached. I share the same time zone with the server, so I don't think it is a time zone thing for me.

Edit: I think it is using GMT for midnight, as the time coincides with the reset. I thought it would have been using native server time zone setting.

Edited by soccershouts

Hi, how is Midnight determined? It was registering the days post count well, but seemed to reset sometime between 7-8pm. My board time is now 8:14pm and is showing 0 posts, though an hour or so ago was showing targets had been reached. I share the same time zone with the server, so I don't think it is a time zone thing for me.

Edit: I think it is using GMT for midnight, as the time coincides with the reset. I thought it would have been using native server time zone setting.

Midnight is calculated using the strtotime function.

$midnight = strtotime('today');

I was not aware that this used GMT as a base.. as per php.net/strtotime

Each parameter of this function uses the default time zone unless a time zone is specified in that parameter.

- I guess we can say that "default time zone" is GMT in this case.. I will look into a fix for the next release.. I believe that as a temporary patch you can add this code to your constants.php file:

date_default_timezone_set('America/Los_Angeles');

(for PST as an example.. zones: http://statoids.com/tus.html)

as per http://uk.php.net/ma...imezone-get.php

Unfortunately it's not doing that on my forum, just on the skin I set to default.

Can you PM me a link to your forum and the admin details, so I can investigate this? I think it might be a problem with the hook location not being present (or overwritten) on your skin..

As you can see:
it should work on all skins so if I could take a look I can probably fix it :)

Just so you know, it also did not display for me.

I had to change the hook point in order to get it to display.

I have not enabled it for public view yet, I'm interested in hearing how it has effected other people's forums first.

Just so you know, it also did not display for me.

I had to change the hook point in order to get it to display.

I have not enabled it for public view yet, I'm interested in hearing how it has effected other people's forums first.

Which hook point did you use?

The hook currently fires BEFORE the hasHeaderAd hook, so that shouldn't affect it. I haven't tested with Nexus however, which I know does override these hook points..

I've just uploaded 1.0.3 to the marketplace. Please upgrade. This fixes the database error if the forum selection is empty, and it also adds new settings which allow you to control exactly what is displayed in the notice.

%7Boption%7D2012-07-06_17h58_53.png' alt='' class='i" alt="" class="ipsImage" width="1000" height="555">

I cannot reproduce the skin issue which has been reported to me, but as soon as I recieve more information, I'll investigate further..

This is just a maintenance release, the suggested features will be coming in the next release (pending no further issues are found).

Just purchased and it is working as advertised on my custom skin. :)

I'd like to suggest adding a static, or live, countdown as a token option for the display message.