Ban/Suspension- moderating members - can someone explain this to me?

thornag

Hi guys,

It's been hugely confusing area ever since I started using IPB. Reading devupdates about finally tidying that part made me look forward to the new version.

Things changed but I'm not sure whether the changes (even thought made in right direction) made it slightly more complicated than before.

There seems to be 4 types of 'punishment'

1. Put all content under moderation.
2. Remove ability to post
3. Suspend
4. Ban

Let's take 4. Ban first.

This is great, you can now forget about the extra group and use the flag on user to mark profile as banned in the userPanel template bit. The only problem is that this can be done only from APC and I don't want moderators to have access there. Any other ways I can let moderators ban users?

3. Suspend - I'm not sure why this is there and what it does different to a ban? I understand unlike ban this can be set to expire after x hours/days but surely 3 & 4 could be consolidated into one action? Problem is that when suspending a member, no flag is flicked and it is impossible to reflect that in user profile for others to see.

1 & 2 are clear and working as expected.

The new warning process is great together with the predefined reasons and actions.

What I would love to be able to do is to adjust the warning level without having to issue a warning with minus points.

Say a user has been given 5 warning points for some flame but later came back and apologised etc so we want to reduce this warning to 2 points. There is currently no way of doing this other than going to ACP and adjusting, but this now presents us with the same issue I described before.

So the question really is

How can moderators ban?
How to find out whether member is suspended from the userPanel template?
How can moderators adjust warning level (or suspension for the matter) without issuing a warning or being able to log into ACP?

Regards
Michael

• 2 months later...

rather than bump maybe ask a specific question

How can moderators ban?
How to find out whether member is suspended from the userPanel template?
How can moderators adjust warning level (or suspension for the matter) without issuing a warning or being able to log into ACP?

Archived