One to One Chat - No Chatroom?

Bill Edwards

Hi

We've tried chat rooms on our site and they don't work for us - unmoderated we get name calling, insulting and childish behaviour. It isn't worth the aggro.

However, a member has asked if a one to one chat, similar to Facebook is possible within our forum. Is it??

Cheers

Bill

A sticking point seems to be that I want to be able to regulate it on a group basis, i.e. just allow our Moderators access until tested, then allow perhaps another group of members.

Cometchat can do this, but only with a more expensive setup and then only by their staff

We do it ourselves with cometchat by cheating: I've wrapped the code that displays the bar with an if statement in the template that only shows it to certain groups. That should be completely adequate for testing (since we use it for production I had to tweak cometchat itself too, but you shouldn't have to).

One on One? Have you seen the in-built

Messenger

? :smile:

That's one on one, or one on many.

Messenger is a replacement for chats the same way e-mail is a replacement for IM.

and yet, I've had email conversations which have been as fast as IM. :)

Was merely a suggestion, I know the OP wasn't looking for PM's, but the one-on-one aspect jumped out as something he could use the Messenger for.

The shoutbox by Michael with the option of a private shout to a group or between members would be ideal for me. We had the chatroom, but the shoutbox rendered it useless as everybody just uses the shoutbox now. But Michael won't add a private shout option because he says that's what IP.Chat is for. Endless loop initiated.

The shoutbox by Michael with the option of a private shout to a group or between members would be ideal for me. We had the chatroom, but the shoutbox rendered it useless as everybody just uses the shoutbox now. But Michael won't add a private shout option because he says that's what IP.Chat is for. Endless loop initiated.

That feature is actually in my list of features to look at implementing:

http://invisionfocus.com/tracker/issue-559-suggestion-ability-to-private-chat/

Don't take this to mean that it's going to be added in the next week or so, but it is a feature that's on my radar.

I actually stopped paying for and disabled IP.Chat because I've been so frustrated (as I've said various times) with it. Until it adds in private chatting or extra "chatrooms" (one on one/group)/audio and video, I see no reason to pay such a high price (imo anyway) for it. :sad:

I use the Shoutbox as our "Chatroom" instead, and the public title for the Shoutbox is "Chat" even.

With all the instant messaging options on the net these days, I'm not sure it's really needed is it? I don't know anyone who doesn't use some form of messenger anymore. On most larger sites of mine we use IRC as well, of course you have private chats as well as group chats there.

Then you might as well get rid of the chat software entirely? In its current state, it is just a very basic chatroom. Its plans and prices aren't really fair for how little it offers, especially if there are no future plans to add some great features.

It would only make sense for the company if it added in a couple of things that really most other chatroom software offers, to not only add some $$$ to your pockets but to also have clients not running to other software.

And to also have the members of the communities staying on those communities, as opposed to going somewhere else or using a different software incorporated into IPB. We can manage the members and not have to deal with external stuff.

Not everyone has Facebook and/or Skype or AIM (which people have seemed to stop using in the past few years), and tinychat is very limited with its moderating options and can slow down often. And maybe some of us don't want to deal with IRC. Managing everything on IPB is 100x better. Especially with knowing which member is which, and having access to chat logs, etc. It's simpler and more convenient.

A few features have been suggested and backed up time and time again in this Feedback forum, and they've all seemed to have gone ignored. How will the software grow and attract more attention if it just stays how it is? I find it frustrating because I'd gladly go back to IP.Chat if it had a few more options.

Here is my post about what I think about IP.Chat, and I also link to threads in the Feedback forum that have the same suggestions:
http://community.inv...w/#entry2248290

With all the instant messaging options on the net these days, I'm not sure it's really needed is it? I don't know anyone who doesn't use some form of messenger anymore. On most larger sites of mine we use IRC as well, of course you have private chats as well as group chats there.

On my forums not everyone wants to get onto a 3rd party app like Skype, Facebook, Google, AIM, or whatever to chat, they want to be able to do it when they visit the site and leave and be done with it. Plus if its all integrated into the forums everybody knows who's who and its just much easier overall. There are a few people who share information with their friends to chat outside of the forums but I'm speaking for the majority.

That's why our shoutbox is probably the most used feature aside from the forums, and I get requests all the time for some sort of an instant messenger option because the general public doesn't like having to get out of whatever they're doing to go send a PM, I realize it can be "just as fast" as an IM in some cases but its just extra steps they have to take, taking them away from the shoutbox, arcade, gallery, forums or whatever they were doing, when they feel they should just be able to click someones name in the shoutbox, online list or whatever and strike up a real-time personal conversation, like they could in IP.Chat but more streamlined for the entire site.

I enjoy IP.Chat as it works well as a sort of messenger in popped out windows, but the pricing is too much for what it has to offer in my opinion with little to no extra features available, however even that wasn't designed for what I think a lot of us would like to see.

I believe IPB would benefit from having a cometchat like feature (with the option to regulate & disable of course) with a simple friends list showing who is online and the option to strike up a realtime PM with your friends on the forums. The messenger would remain or possibly be intergrated so that IMs to offline members would go to their PM box just as it does with Facebook. Group chat could the get away with remaining a seperate feature with a chatroom or shoutbox.

The main point being if it isn't broke, sure don't fix it, but why not polish and add-on to it? But that's just my .02

On my forums not everyone wants to get onto a 3rd party app like Skype, Facebook, Google, AIM, or whatever to chat, they want to be able to do it when they visit the site and leave and be done with it. Plus if its all integrated into the forums everybody knows who's who and its just much easier overall. There are a few people who share information with their friends to chat outside of the forums but I'm speaking for the majority.

I enjoy IP.Chat as it works well as a sort of messenger in popped out windows, but the pricing is too much for what it has to offer in my opinion with little to no extra features available, however even that wasn't designed for what I think a lot of us would like to see.

The main point being if it isn't broke, sure don't fix it, but why not polish and add-on to it? But that's just my .02

Exactly.

I am unsure where the notion that we will never improve chat came from, however I am positive you will see future updates with expanded functionality.

I think it may have to do with the all the requests and feedback but nothing getting implemented discouraging folks, even a roadmap of planned features would help.

Archived