Overall Feedback of Latest Upgrade After 2 Years

PalmTalk

I wrote the following to the tech that helped with my recent upgrade after a fairly long time. I wanted to pass along those user comments that I happened to agree with. I'll copy and paste below.

Please let me offer some constructive criticism of the new version.

Most all my users had a clever graphic or business logo for their avatar, and a pic of themselves or family for their personal profile pic - so consolidating the two was not a welcome change. %7Boption%7D' alt='' class='ipsImage' >' alt='' class='ipsImage' > It was nice to be able to see a nice size personal photo of the user, and a colorful logo to identify his postings.

Also, we had things set up so certain groups (those contributing money) were granted a larger avatar. I guess that is no longer an option either. We found it encouraged donations. %7Boption%7D' alt='' class='ipsImage' >' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

In addition, one of the major reasons for the upgrade was to be able to use the mobile app for iPhone/iPad. My users wanted more functionality from mobile devices - namely uploading photos. But the app seems to be fairly useless. And judging from the reviews, I am not the only one with that feeling. Many users are wondering why they paid for something that doesn't seem to do anything extra.

And lastly, I guess all of our subtitles from the last 6 years and 100,000+ topics are no longer visible. Instead we can now add tags. What a mess that is going to be. Users are already adding heaps of useless or worthless tags. %7Boption%7D' alt='' class='ipsImage' >' alt='' class='ipsImage' > This rendered a lot of the older topic titles incomplete. Six years of content erased - not good.

Not complaining as much as offering feedback. %7Boption%7D

Many features are of course an improvement - like keeping track of unread material - that is very nice now. But I guess there is still no photo resizing option available during upload. Or auto resizing within the Lightbox for viewing. Without the Lightbox at least the browser can resize large photos to screen/window size. Your photo management is not near as good as your competitors.

But again, thanks for the help with the upgrade.

I've not had one complaint about topic subtitles being done away with. Re tags. I'm using the closed tag system where the only available tags are those that I specified. Perhaps you should use that system instead? Alternatively disable the tag system.

I agree about avatars and photos. Utter madness combining the 2. When someone clicks on a profile they should see a personal photo (if one is loaded). Avatars can be used everywhere else. IPS seems to have completely ignored feedback from users regarding this.

I also agree about the mobile app. I won't be mentioning it to my members until it's more functional.

3DKiwi

For a mobile app, I've installed Tapatalk for my forums. It's free to install on your directory but your members have to pay for the app.

It supports:

• iPhone
  • iPad
  • BlackBerry
  • Android
  • Chrome

My users wanted more functionality from mobile devices - namely uploading photos.

When creating or replying to topics, you can upload pictures and they will be hosted by Tapatalk:

%7Boption%7D

:)

Archived