A better way to update our suite

Lukas D. K.

Hy IPS,

There should be an easy way to update the board instalation, today there are around 5000 files in the IPBoard package (without including any addon) and every new update consumes too many time.

Some years ago, we only have to update the changed files, but now we don't have this package anymore.

The simple the better, like: I upload the ipboard compressed package to my server and the upgrade process unpack it and perform the installation, something in this line.

Regards

If you have SSH access and are willing to do a little man page reading, look into rsync.

It will allow you to update without having to overwrite every single file again.

I'd post a tutorial on how, but I'm still half-asleep. I might be able to write something up for you in a bit though, if you need help and can confirm you actually do have shell access on your server.

I don't find it too time consuming. Then again, I don't upgrade to every package they release. I only update when something cool has been added.

Probably won't upgrade until 3.4 or 4.0 whatever the case may be

Another quick method... if you have File manager on cPanel or whatever your using for your shell access is this:

Make a secret directory.... upload the compressed IPB board to that directory... extract the board software there, delete the compressed copy.....go to upload and the root uploading folders and files.... than lastly copy all those folders and files to the directory of your board and it will overwrite all of them. You should be good to go and upgrade the system, just be sure to delete that secret directory and use the same method again for later updates.

Should only take 5 minutes tops.

You see, SSH or CP options (like using Cpanel or Plesk) will do the job and are all valid, but the point here is the user.

There should be a easy, user-friendly way to do this. I believe IP's is mature enought to understand what I'm talking about here.

In the next upgrade I will take a look at the auto-upgrade feature, let's see how this option works.

You see, SSH or CP options (like using Cpanel or Plesk) will do the job and are all valid, but the point here is the user.

There are a couple reasons why IPS offers the upgrade service rather than upgrade packs like you're asking for:
  • Many releases change so many files that there's no significant difference between changed files and the full release.
  • More importantly... many people failed to understand how the packs actually work and failed to apply them correctly. If you upload changed files for 3.3.3 to upgrade from 3.3.0, you're going to have a bad time--and Support are the ones left to figure out the mess of what went wrong. That's wasted time that could be avoided just by not offering the packs at all, which is what they did.

If you know how to use it, SSH [or a control panel] is a fast and relatively painless way of uploading the files in bulk.

I use cPanel is fast and simple just upload file in zip format extract it and the install simple take me few mins.

Of course, the obvious, just upload the zipball and extract it on your server remotely. Don't know why I didn't think to mention that.

Saves a large amount of time, if you do it properly.

Just be sure you do it properly, of course.

There should be a easy, user-friendly way to do this. I believe IP's is mature enought to understand what I'm talking about here.

In the next upgrade I will take a look at the auto-upgrade feature, let's see how this option works.

Oh no no no you've got it all wrong. This isn't a question of the maturity, professionalism, or technical ability of IPS. It's a question of the maturity, professionalism, and technical ability of the IPS customer base. You see IPS has not made an uneducated decision here. Their refusal to provide these "upgrade packs" is a direct result of their experience with technically incompetent customers. This is a classic case of the few ruining it for the many. And there is no viable solution whatsoever. Not even a big warning on the download page could prevent this because you see, generally speaking, human beings as a whole are incapable of following clearly written out directions and are in fact more apt to do the exact opposite of what they are supposed to do due to this inherent lack of common sense that we all possess. You think I'm overexaggerating? Certainly not! I have browsed this forum for a long time and have seen for myself the technical incompetence of countless administrators. Why, just look at the shoutbox support thread. Poor Michael. As I said, the few ruin it for the many.

Sorry that was rude. I wasn't that serious just feel like goofing off. None of the points I made are wrong though. IPS had a bad experience with what you're suggesting and they are justified in never providing this solution again.

Technically INcompetent customers = IPS Customer
Technically competent customers = IPS Customer

The sofwtare is used by both types of users / administrators.

If this is not the case anymore, then let's stop this wave of redesign and refactoring that IP's is performing to make their software more user-friendly (like we see in ths last blog entrys).

Don't get me wrong, I like IP's software, hell I'm using Matt's work since Ikonboard; but I believe that myself as a customer can make a sugestion, can I ? Thank you !

• Management

Technically INcompetent customers = IPS Customer

Technically competent customers = IPS Customer

The sofwtare is used by both types of users / administrators.

If this is not the case anymore, then let's stop this wave of redesign and refactoring that IP's is performing to make their software more user-friendly (like we see in ths last blog entrys).

Don't get me wrong, I like IP's software, hell I'm using Matt's work since Ikonboard; but I believe that myself as a customer can make a sugestion, can I ? Thank you !

Everyone in this topic is discussing the subject at hand - not just you - of course you and everyone else can make a suggestion.

I don't really see a problem with either side.

If you're really competent and know what you're doing, you can just use rsync as I said above to help speed up the transfer.

Or you can just upload the zipball and work from it remotely using SSH.

If you're stuck using FTP, however, it's a little more understandable. But it still doesn't take that long to upload.

Archived