Database Forms

Marcher Technologies

• 2 months later...

Really interested in this mod but I have some questions before I purchase it

As I am not a very experienced coder I wonder if this would be suitable to me? So does it allow you to more or less just build a form like I might format a forum post or is an amount of coding required?

I'm not adversed to doing the coding, in fact I am very keen to learn, so a follow up question would be that if coding is required is there much support / patience available until I get my head around it

TBH, I prefer to learn how to do things rather than ask constant questions as then I try things out and learn some more :smile:

Coding of some manner is required at this time.... the primary feature of the mod is giving you per-database control of the form template.

Any update on a update :smile:

I have updated the file.... very basically, versus me maintaining a custom 'stock' default template for add/revert/compare against every content minor version... I just re-use the current IPC stock.

This should help alleviate minor point version issues and allow me to focus on adding custom forms to the download.

How does this mod I see no change?

You need to add a 'Form' template, and customize, and apply to the database you wish.

Do you have a demo for this I could play around with at all?

I'm confused at what additional knowledge of the functionality you would gain, and would need to grant you acp access to my test install.

At its most basic, open up your ACP->Look & Feel->Manage Skin Sets & Templates->(edit any non-mobile skin)->(Content)Global Templates->recordForm.

This mod completely supplants this single template with the ability to create multiple customized forms with export/import capabilities, with control of which form template is used by which database.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With this modification can I do the following?

• Hide specific fields from certain usergroups? My current database has 20+ fields of data, but I only want 9 of those fields to show (for editing) to the average user on my site. The only people that should be able to edit all 20+ fields should be my Administrators/Moderators. I know this can be done with IPContent, but I want my Admin's to see those fields on the record page, not have to go into the AdminCP to edit hidden fields.

• Hide specific fields based on categories. I have a few fields that apply to certain categories within my database, but not to others. It would be nice to prevent users from seeing unnessecary fields on the record editing form. Out of the 9 fields I want my average user to see, on certain categories I only want them to have the ability to edit 7 fields.

• Hide specific fields based on the value of another field in that record. I wanted to create a hidden database field called "Show" and that field would contain one of two values. If that value is "YES" than the member of my site would be able to edit 9 fields on a specific record......if that value was "NO" then when the user goes to edit that record.....only 6 fields would show for them to edit.

With this modification can I do the following?

• Hide specific fields from certain usergroups? My current database has 20+ fields of data, but I only want 9 of those fields to show (for editing) to the average user on my site. The only people that should be able to edit all 20+ fields should be my Administrators/Moderators. I know this can be done with IPContent, but I want my Admin's to see those fields on the record page, not have to go into the AdminCP to edit hidden fields.
  • Hide specific fields based on categories. I have a few fields that apply to certain categories within my database, but not to others. It would be nice to prevent users from seeing unnessecary fields on the record editing form. Out of the 9 fields I want my average user to see, on certain categories I only want them to have the ability to edit 7 fields.
  • Hide specific fields based on the value of another field in that record. I wanted to create a hidden database field called "Show" and that field would contain one of two values. If that value is "YES" than the member of my site would be able to edit 9 fields on a specific record......if that value was "NO" then when the user goes to edit that record.....only 6 fields would show for them to edit.

It enables being able to provide custom forms for any database or category, in practice, you would have a main form for the database, and another for the specific category.
The rest is possible. Whether you can do it or not is really difficult for me to say.
$data['fields'] holds the fields array, $data['record'] holds the record array, template help is provided for these form templates while editing to assist.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

With this modification (and additional template code) can I do the following:

1) Specify one field value as unique and give visual error on the fly if user tries to enter it again?

2) Present a field as read only, however the value is generated from actual database value. eg: I always want my record IDs to show as "REC00XX" rather than "1,2,3"

3) Present a field as read only to "member group" but editable for "Content Writers Group"

4) Post Save Button Confirmation/error checking (Confirm,Discard buttons)? or Is a data hook better for that?

Hello,

With this modification (and additional template code) can I do the following:

1) Specify one field value as unique and give visual error on the fly if user tries to enter it again?

2) Present a field as read only, however the value is generated from actual database value.

3) I always want my record IDs to show as "REC00XX" rather than "1,2,3"

4) Present a field as read only to "member group" but editable for "Content Writers Group"

5) Post Save Button Confirmation/error checking (Confirm,Discard buttons)? or Is a data hook better for that?

1)Yes and No. A) it would be custom JS 'validation' on the form. B) But you would need a library hook into the field source for actual server-side validation.

2)Yes, you could hide the field with css, perform string operations in the template making the field disabled, or discard the default generated fields html completely and write the form as desired providing the fields.

3)That is a whole other kettle of worms, a library hook I have posted before in content forum for record furl defaults would likely suit with minor changes.

4) See 2

5) Data hook would do well if you need to check multiple values from differing fields and want one clean hook. Otherwise, see 1B.

• 9 months later...

Seem to be having issues with this per category. I have a default form set in the database. However when I use the a second form for selected categories, it continues to use the default form, when adding new items. It seems to work perfectly when editing the item though.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

As above, does this work with 3.4.7?

I just got a few other options, and they do not work with it, hence my question.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Yes, however the interaction of several mods may be causing some issue for you. I have followed up in your pm to me so I can examine the issue more closely on your site. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived