File name: Database View Restrictions
Submitter: Marcher Technologies
Submitted: 06/15/2012
Category: Utilities
Demo : http://www.marchertech.com/
Discussion URL :
Supported Versions: 14
Support Info : Support Topic

This Hook Will allow you to restrict new "Record" Views by Group(secondary groups inclusive with highest given value honoured) within Articles, Databases, and their Categories by Day, Month, and Year.
This is useful as a preventive measure to foil content harvesting, and promote paid membership to access unlimited quota when combined with other applications like Nexus or Subscriptions or ibEconomy.
Demo Has this applied to my articles database in whole for guests at 10 per day.
Record submitters are exempt from their own records submitted being counted towards this limit or being blocked.

View File

For clarification, this is a token based system? As in, once an article is viewed, it is possible for the customer to view it unlimited times?

I like the following too:

(secondary groups inclusive with highest given value honoured)

I made a suggestion (link below) to allow secondary group promotions to compliment your mod:

With a price of $40 ($10 under the IP.Content purchase price), I will consider this hook within July-September after revamping my site to fully utilize this great feature (with latest ip.content & nexus). If IPS implements this feature to their core, I'll still send a donation to you in the future as a thank you for committing the time to this hook's development. Thank you Marcher.

For clarification, this is a token based system? As in, once an article is viewed, it is possible for the customer to view it unlimited times?

Quite correct, unto the point of a table storing the ip/member_id, database, category, and id of the record they viewed upon clearing all checks.... if they are found to have visited the currently viewed record, it is permanently opened to them.

• 11 months later...

Marcher, this is not working on the latest versions of Content and Board I am testing a client site on. Have you verified this mod works?

I set the Article Configurations setting to NOT over ride any settings. I then set a category and category to over ride the article configurations setting. I set a maximum of X article views for a category and its subcategory. The subcategory is saving the over ride change, BUT the parent category is not. Even though the sub category is recording the setting over ride, it is not going into actual effect.

Also, this applies to a SECONDARY member group. So the primary group does not have any restrictions, but if a member in that primary group also has access to a secondary group, they are theoretically not supposed to have limitations on certain categories.

Please fix or post soon.

Marcher, this is not working on the latest versions of Content and Board I am testing a client site on. Have you verified this mod works?

I set the Article Configurations setting to NOT over ride any settings. I then set a category and category to over ride the article configurations setting. I set a maximum of X article views for a category and its subcategory. The subcategory is saving the over ride change, BUT the parent category is not. Even though the sub category is recording the setting over ride, it is not going into actual effect.

Also, this applies to a SECONDARY member group. So the primary group does not have any restrictions, but if a member in that primary group also has access to a secondary group, they are theoretically not supposed to have limitations on certain categories.

Please fix or post soon.

Looking into this. To condense the issue into the actual problem at hand, Secondary Group Configurations are not properly applying, and certain categories are not saving the values?

Are you only inputting values on edit? Unfortunately, I have no way to properly hook the added data into the add routine.... though it should not be showing in that case AFAIK.

No, it applies to secondary and primary groups. BUT I am assuming it also applies to primary groups by the fact that settings are not saved.

My setup is this:

1. Main article configuration settings are left untouched (no restrictions)
  2. 1 sub-category has restrictions. These restrictions are saved. However, they are not in effect. I also can't re-save them.
  3. The parent category of the sub-category cannot have any settings changed. In this case, I can't add restrictions. If I click save, it just reloads the page with no changes.

No, it applies to secondary and primary groups. BUT I am assuming it also applies to primary groups by the fact that settings are not saved.

My setup is this:

1. Main article configuration settings are left untouched (no restrictions)
  2. 1 sub-category has restrictions. These restrictions are saved. However, they are not in effect. I also can't re-save them.
  3. The parent category of the sub-category cannot have any settings changed. In this case, I can't add restrictions. If I click save, it just reloads the page with no changes.

Marcher,

I paid for a modification that isn't working as intended. Please respond with a date when the fix will be ready.

Sir, I need you to provide me access, I cannot reproduce any of this testing on a fresh install of the latest versions, you should note the author of the given article/record is exempt from the restrictions being run on that given article/record. I am able to edit categories restrictions, and they are saved and honored in testing, this could be many things including some hook conflict on your install, but I cannot reproduce any of that testing.

• 1 month later...

Feature request:

Dashboards for the admin and user to show what contents have been unlocked, and how many more unlocks are available in a given timeframe (if it's daily, weekly, or month).

If that is not ideal, an alternative solution would be to display a label under a database or article title that says "Locked" or "Unlocked" (or could just use a lock symbol).

Additionally, a IP.Content sidebar block could be used that says:

"X out of YZ slots remaining for _database A_"

"X out of YZ slots remaining for _database B_"

"X out of YZ slots remaining for _database C_"

"X out of YZ slots remaining for _database D_"

"X out of YZ slots remaining for _database E_"

The sideblock should honor permissions (such as not displaying database information to hidden databases).

• 10 months later...

Hello,

My apologies for the delay in response.

Unfortunately, after much consideration, I believe I made a mistake in offering this listing on the marketplace, and should have made this as a custom modification for you specifically. There is not much consumer interest in this modification, in fact, it has the lowest amount of consumer interest of any paid or free modification I have listed here, having a total of only 2 purchases over 2 years(IIRC, the other one I generated the purchase for him freely, and I have reduced the price several times to try to encourage sales).

As a result, I cannot justify maintaining this on the marketplace for the 4.x update. However, I will be happy to do said update for you as a custom modification, including any additional features you may desire.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If the situation changes vastly, I will be happy to re-evaluate, but at this time, this seems the best option.

Regards.

Archived