Why have you forgotten the "little guys" ?

Ozbloke1

It will download the entire archive including the Documentation and Tools folder. You will probably have to do a little bit of prep work before you actually move it into your preferred directory.

The goal was to just avoid having to download and then reupload the files as OP says he has a slow connection. This is probably impractical for most people.

Great, I'm giving it a try. I used a urlencoded username, and password. I tried Step 2 after receiving the secure_hash (btw, it was the same one used in your example), and get this error:

[#10193] We encountered a problem processing your login request. Please try again.

update: tried step 2 again, worked.

Step 3 error:
[#10850.3] An internal error occurred. Please contact an administrator

update: had to change the id after getting the right id from the client area, then it worked!

Probably an in between method is to download the zip file in the normal manner and unzip it on your hard drive. You then zip up the contents of the upload folder and upload that to your site via ftp. You then unzip via SSH or CPanel's File Manager.

The problem with uploading by ftp is your ftp client has to upload thousands of files and this takes much longer than uploading one single zip file even on a reasonably fast connection.

Personally I just do it by ftp. If all you're doing is upgrading say from 3.3.2 to 3.3.3 your site will still function for the 30 minutes to 1 hour that the files take to upload. It's only major upgrades that you need to take your forum off-line while upgrading as it will stop functioning.

3DKiwi

Archived