Widget Positioning Like Wordpress

raindog308

This is a sort of meta-IP suggestion.

In Wordpress, to move widgets (boxes which contain HTML, shortcodes, content, etc.) to different columns, etc., there is a nice drag and drop screen. It's really quite elegant and easy to use.

In IP products, if you want to place a block, you have to get into template logic and type code.

It would be nice if there was a way to look at your board/blog/content/etc.'s page in a kind of design view and move blocks around visually, as you can in WP.

As an example I recently found...it is trivially easy to create a forum feed of recent topics from a specific forum as an IP.Content block (it's just a next/next/next wizard kind of thing). But to actually put it on a sidebar for the board requires navigating through dense html templates. I'm not saying it's a huge burden or anything but it's sure a lot more work and a lot less user-friendly than WP. A new user is likely to spend significant time just locating which template to edit.

Just a thought.

This is a sort of meta-IP suggestion.

In Wordpress, to move widgets (boxes which contain HTML, shortcodes, content, etc.) to different columns, etc., there is a nice drag and drop screen. It's really quite elegant and easy to use.

In IP products, if you want to place a block, you have to get into template logic and type code.

It would be nice if there was a way to look at your board/blog/content/etc.'s page in a kind of design view and move blocks around visually, as you can in WP.

As an example I recently found...it is trivially easy to create a forum feed of recent topics from a specific forum as an IP.Content block (it's just a next/next/next wizard kind of thing). But to actually put it on a sidebar for the board requires navigating through dense html templates. I'm not saying it's a huge burden or anything but it's sure a lot more work and a lot less user-friendly than WP. A new user is likely to spend significant time just locating which template to edit.

Just a thought.

post-201612-0-22866300-1338950878_thumb.
is not ajax drag+drop... but seems closer? exploiting the hook system to inject blocks into the skin output is feasibly doable.

Archived