New License Structure

Smokey-Rev

-scratching head- So this means that I would have to renew my license to the Suite right? I currently just have a standard license with just the forum, I would have to get the suite and then put my forum onto it in order to get it to work?

Also I guess this is where I am confused, the system is going to be the same way as where if I want another addon I still have to pay the 75 then get it, or is it already included

I am kinda confused to be honest. I like the whole thing and it's pretty cool that everything is under one hut, but I didn't get the payment thing right. So I bought my IPB (Only Forums, nothing else) License last year, renewed it already after it expired for the next 6months, so my question is now: What do I need to pay when 4.0 is released?

Sorry for my bad English and thanks for any answer!

To answer you both - if you currently have an IP.Board Standard license, over the next few weeks, this will automatically be converted into an "IPS Community Suite" license, with the IP.Board add-on - the expiration date will stay the same, unless you have any other addons, in which case, their renewal dates will be aligned.

So the only thing that's changing for you is the wording - we're not making you buy anything :)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way it works now:

• IP.Board Standard License = $175 + $25 renewal

Way it will work after change:

• IPS Community Suite = $100 no renewal
    • IP.Board = $75 + $25 renewal

[/list]

So same pricing just presented differently :smile:

So we are going to have to pay $100 to upgrade to the IPS Community Suite?

I like the way this is going. The ability to buy the suite and content or suite and blog is the best thing that I've heard in a while. I can buy suite plus blog and convert my blog from WP. Then in the future if I want to add a forum I can buy that and plug it in. I see nothing but positive from this and will only put IPB even further ahead of competitors.

With this new setup, do you think there would be the option to run more than one IP.Board add-on, under the same IP.Community?

I sort of doubt it although it would be nice for sites that have multiple communities at slightly different URL's.

No, as was said before, existing clients will be converted over automatically. It's new purchases that will mainly notice the difference. If it was something f'd up, believe me, I'd be raising hell over it. Others that know how I am will vouch for that. However when it comes to trying to be fair to the client, IPS has always been top notch.

I like the way this is going. The ability to buy the suite and content or suite and blog is the best thing that I've heard in a while. I can buy suite plus blog and convert my blog from WP. Then in the future if I want to add a forum I can buy that and plug it in. I see nothing but positive from this and will only put IPB even further ahead of competitors.

Indeed. In a way, it's essentially spawned the add-ons into individual/independent apps that could each be used for hosting a website by itself. Talk about opening the doors for even more clients, not just the field of community forums.

No. You paid $175 for IP.Board. You already "have" it - as has been explained above, we're just going to break the components apart so that everything is it's own application. There is no longer a "root" IP.Board purchase. Please refer to:

To answer you both - if you currently have an IP.Board Standard license, over the next few weeks, this will automatically be converted into an "IPS Community Suite" license, with the IP.Board add-on - the expiration date will stay the same, unless you have any other addons, in which case, their renewal dates will be aligned.

So the only thing that's changing for you is the wording - we're not making you buy anything :smile:

Didn't vbulletin charge extra for going from vb 3 to vb 4? I doubt IPS would do the same thing.

With IPS the only you thing you pay for are renewals (support and downloads). Doesn't matter what version you originally purchased. I got my first license when IPB2 was coming out. I also managed to get a Lifetime license (no longer available) and it's still good today, though I stopped using it (I've retired it so to speak). License is tied to the product, not the version. It's the easiest way to remember it.

I sort of doubt it although it would be nice for sites that have multiple communities at slightly different URL's.

I agree, even if it was something simple like

www.url.com/forum1
www.url.com/forum2
www.url.com/nexus

That would be ideal, and maybe, just maybe with IP.Board being set as its own add-on as such, they could consider it. I would certainly buy more IP.Board licences if it was possible.

I agree, even if it was something simple like

www.url.com/forum1

www.url.com/forum2

www.url.com/nexus

That would be ideal, and maybe, just maybe with IP.Board being set as its own add-on as such, they could consider it. I would certainly buy more IP.Board licences if it was possible.

This won't be possible just like it is not possible now, to do that it would require that each IP.Board application uses a different key from "forums" (which means you need to rewrite all the files, normal/seo links, classes, etc).

The only option would be to get a new IPS Community + IP.Board package (just like now as I've said above :P)

This won't be possible just like it is not possible now, to do that it would require that each IP.Board application uses a different key from "forums" (which means you need to rewrite all the files, normal/seo links, classes, etc).

The only option would be to get a new IPS Community + IP.Board package (just like now as I've said above :tongue:)

That is a shame, as although there is converge, it doesn't quite tick all the boxes.

Would it be possible with the new setup, that IP.Board could have a setting during the install, so that the user could select the database key, and that would filter through all the required places in the app itself? Dunno just guessing now lol.

Would it be possible with the new setup, that IP.Board could have a setting during the install, so that the user could select the database key, and that would filter through all the required places in the app itself? Dunno just guessing now lol.

I'd say it's possible because it's just a matter of programming. However it comes down to a matter of difficulty. Since teraByte said that it wouldn't be easily possible, I'm going to put my bet on it not happening at all during the IPB3 series. If enough people ask for it, then maybe IPB4 will see that as a possibility.

If "the Suite" is going to be the skeleton/backbone that the apps run off of, it would make sense to me to make it possible to be able to run multiple boards from the same framework. Just would have to buy additional IPB licenses (for obvious reasons). One main problem that I see though would be the Suite knowing whether or not you're allowed to have more than one URL for a product. With Matt and bfarber at the helm though, I'm sure they'd be able to sit back and laugh at that like "Oh that's easy to handle."

lol Wolfie, I hope they could find a way to get something like that to work.

I understand it wouldn't be in place for 3.4 series, may not even for the 4 series, but hopefully something they can look into.

The biggest issue I suppose might be how to integrate it into other areas, as a profile for example, how would you list posts/topics from multiple forum installs in one place? tabs maybe for each forum, who knows, would be awesome if they could achieve it though.

But I do think that now IP.Board will become its own app, then this is the time to consider such an option.

The biggest issue I suppose might be how to integrate it into other areas, as a profile for example, how would you list posts/topics from multiple forum installs in one place? tabs maybe for each forum, who knows, would be awesome if they could achieve it though.

Oh that'd be nothing. You can view a members profile even without the forum app being available. The big thing would be in getting the system to recognize the other board/set of forums. I think an important part of it would be handled by fURL handling, so it'd know which 'forum' is being accessed. It's something that they could figure out though, so I won't even try to wrap my head around it.

So if I renew IP.Board today for $25, will my renewal last a full six months or can I expect to pay again (part thereof) when you move to the new licensing structure?

Not a grumble BTW - just wanting to understand how the change will be applied. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Shaun :D

So if I renew IP.Board today for $25, will my renewal last a full six months or can I expect to pay again (part thereof) when you move to the new licensing structure?

You will not be required to pay again. As noted in the announcement, at the time of the conversion, your current expiration date will be converted over.

Check out this topic for more info:

You will not be required to pay again. As noted in the announcement, at the time of the conversion, your current expiration date will be converted over.

Check out this topic for more info:

http://community.inv...es-the-formula/

Okay, so your current board expiration date becomes the new bi-annual renewal date for everything under the new structure. Good. I think I get it now ... lol :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Shaun :D

I very much like this change of perspective that forum is no longer the center of the universe. This can only bring good, in the form of innovation. I would not be surprised if this change will bring a new group of customers to IPS, with fresh needs and a different perspective.
For example, it means that Ip.Nexus can grow to a full on e-commerce platform rivaling major webshop software. Putting IP.N in direct competition will lead to more sales and more innovation. The same may happen for blog & CMS, as AWS mentioned above.

Absolutely very positive and inviting growth.

What would be the point in running several forum apps from one core? Just curious. You can already set up different forums with different user groups. I don't see a benefit from having two forum apps (blogs etc.).

Archived