Community

Michael Burton

Featured Content on Board Index

I am getting the four blocks running vertically also under IE 8 & 9.

(They do it running straight from install with no mods to the HTML in the code blocks)

Any ideas?

Is there any easy way to change background color of text boxes please.

If you go into the template, look for

.image h2 span {

color: white;

font: bold 14px Helvetica, Sans-Serif;

letter-spacing: -1px;  

background: rgb(0, 0, 0);

background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7);

padding: 10px;

}

You'll need to change the line with "rgba".

I have had to turn mine off for now.

on mobile browsers, ipads (or anything with lower resolution) it looks like this:

post-357674-0-32207600-1337266112_thumb.

on internet explorer it looks like this:

post-357674-0-19107800-1337266119_thumb.

it probably has something to do with the way I have built my ip.content blocks, so i'll keep tinkering with it.

(They do it running straight from install with no mods to the HTML in the code blocks)

Any ideas?

I'll investigate this, though I think that it's safe to say that I don't like IE. It'll not be playing by the rules. Can you reproduce it on my site? http://gaming-madness.com/index Edited by Mr. Mikey

I'll investigate this, though I think that it's safe to say that I don't like IE. It'll not be playing by the rules. Can you reproduce it on my site?

http://gaming-madness.com/index

hey on your site. restore your browser to medium size and then narrow your width. once the forums cannot contract any further they fall off the right side (like a fixed minimum width), but your news box breaks to the next line. that's what happens on mobile browsers, ipads, etc.

Mr.Mikey, I like this work that you have done, I would be happy to add an incentive of payment to you to get it to work on our much hated IE8&9.

It's worth a $20.00 bill to me for that. I don't know if other people are willing to go that much, but I am sure some other would be willing to kick in something to cover your diagnostic and programming time.

Well damn. :sad:

You, me and millions of others lol.

Lol :smile:

hey on your site. restore your browser to medium size and then narrow your width. once the forums cannot contract any further they fall off the right side (like a fixed minimum width), but your news box breaks to the next line. that's what happens on mobile browsers, ipads, etc.

I see it, I think I know why.

It's worth a $20.00 bill to me for that. I don't know if other people are willing to go that much, but I am sure some other would be willing to kick in something to cover your diagnostic and programming time.

I had thought of putting a few dollar pricetag on the hook before I'd released it but I decided against it. If you do want to donate I'm not going to say no ;)

After further investigation I think the issue on smaller resolutions is related to the way I re-size the images. Going to see if I can make them completely dynamic (IE, the images shrink as the browser shrinks) - responsive.

as for the IE issues, I've not had a chance to look into this yet, I believe it's do to a missing float, though. I'll try to get an update put out soon.

I need to solve it too. I have the same problem as Mr.Mekey does http://gaming-madness.com/index on Internet Explorer. Is it possible to change image size, so it gets smaller and the 4th block doesnt go down. In firefox it happends the same

Great hook! I have hopefully a quick question. On an iPad, the fourth content box drops to the second line. I updated the images sizes (both spots) in the XML, but I guess I'm missing a container somewhere because I still have the issue. How can I make the image sizes smaller to be sure it all fits on one line?

* Update - Didn't see that others asked the same question prior to me, but still would love a solution!! :smile:

Hello Mr. Mikey,

Amazing work! Thank you for this.

Is it any way to up this fields from 4 to 6 or 8?
In two lines, as example?
How can I do this?

Thank you!

Hello Mr. Mikey,

Amazing work! Thank you for this.

Is it any way to up this fields from 4 to 6 or 8?

In two lines, as example?

How can I do this?

Thank you!

There isn't any way to do this at this time I'm afraid. I'll consider it for a future version.

Thanks,

Hello,

Just downloaded your hook and it's awesome.

A couple of questions on how to get it right on my site:

1. I'm new to IP.Content so am not clear on the external.php process. I would like to add this hook on a single page (/pages/index.html). How would I get the external.php file? Where would the block be located (code) so that I can copy into the page HTML?

2. Can I not display the hook on the forum home, but have it displayed in /pages/index.html only?

Thank you.

Hello,

Just downloaded your hook and it's awesome.

A couple of questions on how to get it right on my site:

1. I'm new to IP.Content so am not clear on the external.php process. I would like to add this hook on a single page (/pages/index.html). How would I get the external.php file? Where would the block be located (code) so that I can copy into the page HTML?

2. Can I not display the hook on the forum home, but have it displayed in /pages/index.html only?

Thank you.

The external.php file allows you to use dynamic IP.Content blocks within the system, by allowing use of the javascript or embed code that IP.Content gives you when external.php is uploaded. external.php can be found within IP.Content's /Tools folder in the main download. I believe I've covered this in more detail in the readme.html file. :)

There isn't an included IP.Content block, so this won't work on IP.Content yet. I'll add it to my list to create a block to go with this hook :)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I followed a tutorials from someone and was able to convert the hook into a block. It woks fine on my site now. Your hook is awesome!

Thanks for getting back to me.

I followed a tutorials from someone and was able to convert the hook into a block. It woks fine on my site now. Your hook is awesome!

Hello,

Great, glad to see you got it working. :thumbsup:

Would you mind sharing the IPC block with me so that I can include this in the release? The hook is free so everyone will benefit :) If you agree, feel free to either PM me with the block file or attach it here?

There was a tutorial (screencast) that shows how to turn any hook into a block. I just followed that and customized it to work on my site. For my site, I don't need the hook to display on the forum home, so I removed the "enabled" check.

Since my use case is slightly different from your setup, my block might be different for difference usage.

I have a raw PHP block:

if (in_array($this->memberData['member_group_id'], explode(",", $this->settings['boardindex_featuredcontent_allowed_groups']))) {

/** users's going to use some content widgets voodoo **/

/** requires content_2_3_2/Tools/external.php to be uploaded and setting checked in ACP **/

if (IPSLib::appIsInstalled('ccs') && $this->settings['boardindex_featuredcontent_imgonnausecontentwidgetsplz'] == "1") {

if (!file_exists('external.php')) { // check file is there, to eliminate the 'stupid user' factor

return "<h3 class='maintitle'>{$this->lang->words['boardindex_featuredcontent_withcontent_error']}</h3><br />";

} else {

/** got templates? **/

return $this->registry->output->getTemplate('global')->boardIndexFeaturedContent_withContent($this->settings);

}

} else {

return $this->registry->output->getTemplate('global')->boardIndexFeaturedContent($this->settings);

}

}

Not sure if this is a robust hack, but it shows properly on my site. If you have any feedback, please do share.

Thanks!

There was a tutorial (screencast) that shows how to turn any hook into a block. I just followed that and customized it to work on my site. For my site, I don't need the hook to display on the forum home, so I removed the "enabled" check.

Since my use case is slightly different from your setup, my block might be different for difference usage.

I have a raw PHP block:

if (in_array($this->memberData['member_group_id'], explode(",", $this->settings['boardindex_featuredcontent_allowed_groups']))) {

/** users's going to use some content widgets voodoo **/

/** requires content_2_3_2/Tools/external.php to be uploaded and setting checked in ACP **/

if (IPSLib::appIsInstalled('ccs') && $this->settings['boardindex_featuredcontent_imgonnausecontentwidgetsplz'] == "1") {

if (!file_exists('external.php')) { // check file is there, to eliminate the 'stupid user' factor

return "<h3 class='maintitle'>{$this->lang->words['boardindex_featuredcontent_withcontent_error']}</h3><br />";

} else {

/** got templates? **/

return $this->registry->output->getTemplate('global')->boardIndexFeaturedContent_withContent($this->settings);

}

} else {

return $this->registry->output->getTemplate('global')->boardIndexFeaturedContent($this->settings);

}

}

Not sure if this is a robust hack, but it shows properly on my site. If you have any feedback, please do share.

Thanks!

Looks correct, and like it'll support usage of both the manual method and the external.php method. I'll see if I can add a setting "Enable Content Block", and add the block as a plugin..

Hi.
Great hook, but I have a few questions.
On my forum there are three right next to each other and the forth under those three, how can I re size to fit all four next to each other.
Also, how do I prevent your hook from automatically re sizing the pictures ?
First time I saw your hook, you hat the text glowing on mouseover. How do I enable that ?
You can check it out at www.iphoneforum.ro
Thanks and keep up the good work.

Great mod,, but one minor thing is bugging me : we can click on the featured content even though the cursor is way below the images.

The automatic resize needs to be taken out!

Hi.

Great hook, but I have a few questions.

On my forum there are three right next to each other and the forth under those three, how can I re size to fit all four next to each other.

Also, how do I prevent your hook from automatically re sizing the pictures ?

First time I saw your hook, you hat the text glowing on mouseover. How do I enable that ?

You can check it out at www.iphoneforum.ro

Thanks and keep up the good work.

The text glowing on mouseover I believe is a per-browser thing, it's not something I've done. You can't resize the images without editting the templates and css..

Great mod,, but one minor thing is bugging me : we can click on the featured content even though the cursor is way below the images.

The automatic resize needs to be taken out!

How do you mean?