Can something be done about the facebook bot?

Rimi

This is not happening at all on 3.1.4, but IPS insists that it's completely normal...

post-294591-0-03531000-1336534275_thumb.

Even if it is normal, can something be done about this? It means absolutely nothing I guess...but it's just really distracting. >_> I guess I'm being nitpicky sorry. Just why does a new bot need to be generated for everytime someone views the thread?

It seems to come and go so it'll be back. This is the new search engine they imposed on the world I assume.

Facebook as an entity doesn't even need to be searching it ain't the Facebook users that are using the yields.

Facebooks like a shodowy cover for 'them' to penetrate everything anyone does.

surely this can be removed or at least we can be given an option for it to not to display
do we really have to start digging into templates to look at a diy solution

after all if google and all the rest don't show, then why is this allowed to ?

surely this can be removed or at least we can be given an option for it to not to display

do we really have to start digging into templates to look at a diy solution

after all if google and all the rest don't show, then why is this allowed to ?

Google and all the rest do show...

There is no template solution. Just disable share links.

Google and all the rest do show...

There is no template solution. Just disable share links.

why should i need to disable share links, that's a bit severe
when did google start showing up ?
have just seen it, though am fairly sure that it hasn't always showed, I do have a dodgy memory of a setting to switch this off?
though always a chance of my memory getting it wrong

as a quick and dirty template solution is a php string replacement
surely the same can be added via the acp by invision?

chasing my own tail here

there must or used to be a setting for this

the online members list on here show all bots

on own site the the online members list does not show bots to normal user- all bots are shown as guests to both members and guests
admins do see the bots
however the active user list on topics does display bots to all

so on own site the active members list on topics differs than the online members list

so either way it seems to be not working as intended for me

bots hidden as guest on the online list and bots showing as bots on the active user topic display

confusing

edit

ok have seen that both use different methods to call info
a core edit seems to be best solution if want to get rid of bots showing on topics

Really dislike the fact that these can't be hidden from users now. Also they really clutter the online users list and skew the total online number. I also remember being able to hide these form the online list in the past, but can't any longer.

Really dislike the fact that these can't be hidden from users now. Also they really clutter the online users list and skew the total online number. I also remember being able to hide these form the online list in the past, but can't any longer.

i can understand that viewing bots on threads may be worthwhile for admins
but i can't think of one positive reason why its felt that members/guests should see them as well
is there one ?

I've been trying to figure out a way on how to ban Facebook from my site, their search engines, but nothing indicates how to do that through IPB. And it'll get more aggressive now that FB will be under to perform for investors. How do you restrict Facebook from your site?

In ACP > System Settings > System > Search Engine Optimization > Show search engine in the active users list

I don't know if this is in IP.SEO or there by default, but you can hide them.

In ACP > System Settings > System > Search Engine Optimization > Show search engine in the active users list

In 2.x we used to be able to show them (to admins for example) but hide them to everyone else. This is what we need back, and badly.

I have that set to no and they still show up. In online users list, in users reading this topic, etc.

From my understanding this is facebook indexing the topic... it's notified when their sharing script is called from a new location therefore it see's the new topic and indexes it. Other then removing the share links so the java is not loaded from FB, there isn't much you can do. As to why this is happening or at least being noticed on 3.2.x and not prior, that's a good question, but more likely than not, it's a new feature of facebook. I haev heard rumors that they have been working on indexing the web for a couple of years and plan on web search being a large FB item in the future.

From my understanding this is facebook indexing the topic... it's notified when their sharing script is called from a new location therefore it see's the new topic and indexes it. Other then removing the share links so the java is not loaded from FB, there isn't much you can do. As to why this is happening or at least being noticed on 3.2.x and not prior, that's a good question, but more likely than not, it's a new feature of facebook. I haev heard rumors that they have been working on indexing the web for a couple of years and plan on web search being a large FB item in the future.

edit

The whole Facebook bot thing isn't an issue at all on my 3.1.4 site. Although this is probably because the Facebook sharelink back then is a different one than what we've got here in 3.3.

The whole Facebook bot thing isn't an issue at all on my 3.1.4 site. Although this is probably because the Facebook sharelink back then is a different one than what we've got here in 3.3.

Bingo, it's because we now have the Like Button, rather than this: %7Boption%7D

The introduction of the Like button, as Mikey said, is the reason Facebook now crawls the page. Twitter and Google + also do the same thing: http://lifehacker.co...n-do-to-stop-it

Facebook collects meta information such as images, page description, and page title so that when a URL is pasted into the Facebook status box, it populates with that helpful information it usually adds. I'm sure they use it for other things as well.

they only show because invision decides to show them
during the get userin function it first regonise them as bots
via a special extension and then uses that extension as a qualifier to apply and then display the bot name

it seems a simple core edit can remove this and it then displays them as guests

its invision code that does this not facebook or twitter and would guess that if invision wanted to remove they could

Archived