Please, add the ability to moderators can't hard Delete

mrangelo

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem here is that you're trying to use the supermoderator group for something it's not. It was not designed to 'limit' permissions. It was designed as a 'you have full front end control'. If you don't want your moderators to have full front end control, then they aren't super moderators. Keep in mind, that you as an admin also have super moderator powers. So if you restrict the super moderator from hard delete, you also lose the ability to hard delete. The super moderator checkbox is the front end 'god mode' button. If you don't want your users to have all of that power, then you need to create another group with the restrictions you want. It's really that simple.

The problem here is that you're trying to use the supermoderator group for something it's not. It was not designed to 'limit' permissions. It was designed as a 'you have full front end control'. If you don't want your moderators to have full front end control, then they aren't super moderators. Keep in mind, that you as an admin also have super moderator powers. So if you restrict the super moderator from hard delete, you also lose the ability to hard delete. The super moderator checkbox is the front end 'god mode' button. If you don't want your users to have all of that power, then you need to create another group with the restrictions you want. It's really that simple.

:) I believe the feedback is to allow a supermoderator group with limitations. A psuedo-supermoderator? Whatever. :)

Disagree

In vBulletin you have following setup which can be used to create different level staff on boards

1. Super Administrators : Core Administrators , have access to everything as default.
  2. Administrators : These can be added manually but can limit access to different Admin Permissions. Can be used for designers etc..
  3. Super Moderators : These can globally moderate all over boards. These are used for exprienced staff usually
  4. Moderators : Assigned to each forum section

You basically need to create different moderation groups specifically on big boards. Each these user groups Core Administrators should have ability to specify each user groups moderation privilidges

Disagree

In vBulletin you have following setup which can be used to create different level staff on boards

1. Super Administrators : Core Administrators , have access to everything as default.
  2. Administrators : These can be added manually but can limit access to different Admin Permissions. Can be used for designers etc..
  3. Super Moderators : These can globally moderate all over boards. These are used for exprienced staff usually
  4. Moderators : Assigned to each forum section

You basically need to create different moderation groups specifically on big boards. Each these user groups Core Administrators should have ability to specify each user groups moderation privilidges

Admins with no restrictions => Super/Core Admins.

Admins with Restrictions, by group or member=>Administrator

Super Moderators : These can globally moderate all over any app without restriction. These are used for experienced staff usually.

Moderators: Assigned to each container in a given app, by group or member, with full restrictions available.

Failing to see how or where the COC breaks down in the swap to IPB.

Super Moderators : These can globally moderate all over any app without restriction. These are used for experienced staff usually.

Moderators: Assigned to each container in a given app, by group or member, with full restrictions available.

Failing to see how or where the COC breaks down in the change.

smile.png They're saying to create another group that can do global moderation without the need to do all those check boxes, along with announcements and member management, and warning, but can also be limited at the discretion of the administrator.

Global moderator restrictions essentially. smile.png

Failing to see how or where the COC breaks down in the swap to IPB.

Super Moderator should not have ability to hard delete , they are just basically promoted Moderators that can globally moderate. I also fail to see allowing access to Super Moderators to back end imo.

Sjv, you can do that in IP.Board also... It's the exact same setup. Super Administrator... Admin group with no ACP restrictions and Super mod Administrator... Admin group with ACP restrictions and Super Mod (or limited mod group) Super Moderator. No ACP access, but has Super Mod (full front end control) Moderator... Set up on a per forum basis with whatever permissions you want based on my above screenshot. It's the exact same setup, you just need to create the groups according to what you want to do. You'll notice with the default IP.Board install, there is an Administrator(core), Admin(can be limited), and Moderator(supermod) groups by default. As you set up your forums, you can create a non-supermod Moderator group. I fail to see the problem here? I really don't mean to sound rude here, but it sounds like people are just too lazy to set up their groups properly.

Super Moderator should not have ability to hard delete , they are just basically promoted Moderators that can globally moderate. I also fail to see allowing access to Super Moderators to back end imo.

They do not have access to backend, that is a separate group option.

Admin's, without supermod, or some moderator power, are basically lowly members on the front-end.

this is what you miss.

Admin is not god on front-end automatically, nor does supmod by nature grant acp.

I really don't mean to sound rude here, but it sounds like people are just too lazy to set up their groups properly.

We are basically customers who get used to another software for over 10 years.

If you move to a different platform , you'll like to learn everything and discuss weakness etc..

And i am sorry but i never read a rude message like this for a long time.

Let me clarify one more thing for you so you can understand what to comment at :

Super Moderators are just Super Moderators. They are exprienced or promoted Moderators to moderate forums. They are not Admins that are required to access back ends. They have limited permissions which can be configured by administrators on vBulletin.

You can allow each group permission to hard or soft delete. This prevent data loss on forums which is a key thing.

Super Moderators do not have back end access unless you that group ACP access. Super moderators have hard delete. They have the same front end control an admin has. That's the point. They are a front end admin.

this is what I am trying REALLY hard to elaborate here.That is not necessarily true in any way.

This is not VB, this is not WP, admin, with supmod off===member status frontend, the acp and front-end are exclusive in permissions from one another, admin does not necessarily mean supmod ability, nor even ability to hide.

That really is the point, the distinction VB/WP has not, Admin is *not* automatically front-end *admin*, hence supmod.

Super moderators have hard delete. They have the same front end control an admin has. That's the point. They are a front end admin.

Which is what both me and Alfa1 don't like as we don't see Super Moderators similar to you. Every board owner should have ability to configure this without getting into more hassle of creating additional usergroups.

Which is what both me and Alfa1 don't like as we don't see Super Moderators similar to you. Every board owner should have ability to configure this without getting into more hassle of creating additional usergroups.

Reread my last post, thrice if you must.

You would limit yourself as well, supmod, or a mod configuration is the only thing that grants an admin *any* frontend power.

Acp access grants no power on the frontend.

Man this is really hard following this topic without a single bit of CSS or JS. You don't have to create additional usergroups. You only have to remove the Super Mod from the current group and assign what permissions you want to that group for the forums / sections you want. I'm not familiar with vB or any other software, so I don't have the experience you do with other products and can't really comprehend your frustration with ironing out differences between the two, but IP.Board isn't vB. I don't see the need to add complexity to a system that is already quite simple and can do exactly what you're wanting it to do.

To re-iterate what Marcher said.. If you are a Core Admin (using your terms), your only front end power is granted by having Super Mod checked. If you don't have Super Mod checked, you only have admin power in the ACP. You don't have ANY front end admin / moderation abilities. So if you start restricting super mod, you start restricting Core Admins also.

Its certainly a big strength that you can add administrators without making them supermoderators.

In my experience large boards have generally multiple layers of moderators and supermoderators, which parallels with more responsibility and trust.

For example: my junior moderators can not merge topics, because that essentially allows them to destroy a whole forum by merging it into one big topic.

Supermoderators as they are now in IPB is something I cant use as this means giving hard deletion functionality. But if its easy enough to somehow change that group into a pseudo group then thats good as well. If that doesnt have other consequences.

Please mind that when converting a vbulletin website into a IPS site the usergroups are also imported. So our old supermoderators are now IPS supermoderators with hard delete functions. Can this be easily resolved so that the supermoderator group no longer has hard delete?

My head....
Soft Delete is no more than queu for the trash task removal if enabled, otherwise it sits in the modcp, if the task is on? it IS delete.
Turn off can delete and let them hide.

:) Actually hard delete puts it in the queue. Soft delete keeps it hidden for eternity. :)

Yes. uncheck the super moderator checkbox for the group.

Then go to ACP > Forums. Select ALL of the forums and go to the bottom of the page and assign that group to be the moderator for them. Set up your permissiona accordingly. Allows you to re-purpose your existing group.

You do indeed have a use for Super Moderator. Your admin acount, that has super moderator checked, gives you that power. So if you try and restrict Super Moderator, you would also restrict your Admin account (that has super mod checked)

Archived